Who should our next HC be?

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think we are the only program in the modern era that would bring back a coach with no bowls, no winning record and no proof that things are turning around for a 5th year.  It doesn't take 5 years to turn around even a completely jacked program.  And doesn't take 5 years to still struggle with North Dakota....Napier in year one, game 1, beats Utah who was #7.

I said earlier, if Frost turns this thing around pay him $30 million a year for life...

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think we are the only program in the modern era that would bring back a coach with no bowls, no winning record and no proof that things are turning around for a 5th year.  It doesn't take 5 years to turn around even a completely jacked program.  And doesn't take 5 years to still struggle with North Dakota....Napier in year one, game 1, beats Utah who was #7.

I said earlier, if Frost turns this thing around pay him $30 million a year for life...

Those two paragraphs are so at odds with each other.  That's the folly of most fans, thinking there is any chance at all he will even win a big ten game this year.  Maybe he beats Indiana, but I would be shocked.  He must be fired,  asap.

• Plus1 1

I think I would try Mickey after Oct 1 and just see how this team responds.  That gives you a solid month in a half to monitor his ability.  If by some chance he doesn't fit the part, you know he would leave at that point, you have to find "the guy".  We don't know if thats Meyer or Herman, but its going to have to be someone with some experience. 

Frost has sabotaged his own career at this point.  The one fundamental that is key  football is having interior linemen.  That is the biggest key.  Yet in year 5 we still do not have NFL caliber lines.  It only takes a couple of dudes up front on both sides of the ball to have some sort of stability.  Frost himself should know that because he was a beneficiary of that.  Without the line he played behind, he wouldn't have ever had any claim to fame here to start with.

Again we can not compare ourselves to Florida.  They have athletes.  Who knows if Napier could come here and do that with our roster.  Its time to stop comparing our team to others like Florida.  Florida has some dudes and they were there before Napier.  This team almost beat Alabama multiple times under Mullin.  With that being said, right now we do have some pieces in place, but no interior linemen.  We have enough though that if we brought in the right guy, surely we could find some linemen.  I truly think we are 4 players away from being a 7-8 win football team if coached right.  2 offensive line players and about 2 defensive line players away from being at least respectable and a bowl team.

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Those two paragraphs are so at odds with each other.  That's the folly of most fans, thinking there is any chance at all he will even win a big ten game this year.  Maybe he beats Indiana, but I would be shocked.  He must be fired,  asap.

That was my point.  There is no way he turns this around.  I do not think that he will.  Hence the paying $30 miilion/year for life.  Because if he somehow did (I do not think he will) he would be the greatest coach the world has ever known. And he is not.

• Plus1 1

I wish Sam Pittman was interested/attainable.  What he has done at a Arkansas program that was dumpster diving in a short time is incredible.  They are tough, play defensive, establish the run to air the ball, put players in the NFL, all in the toughest place - SEC West.  They are in a recruit hot bed, but certainly are not the most wealthy state in their group being surrounded by Texas, Louisiana, FL and Alabama. They compete even when they loose.  He has created a culture the players, community and school are proud of and he is still old school in his approach.  He just got an extension and I don’t see him leaving.  

Here is the million dollar question.  Why has Frost not been able to win at NU?

Talent

Development

Staff

Scheme

Offense

Defense

We are a complete crap show and there is not one specific area I can point to.  Riley was a joke, BUT IMHO it seems Frost did "better" with Riley/Pelini players..It's not like Riley so poisoned the well that Frost had to completely rebuild like starting a program from scratch.  

All of these stats are prior to the ND game.  I copied from Huskermax.  Credit goes to them for compiling the Tweets into one thread.  If id needs to be removed, Mods feel free.  I do not understand A) How we are that bad B) Frost was retained....It seems impossible to accomplish such statistical anomalies....

"I still can't process the fact that Nebraska football has lost 9 of its last 10 games. And the lone victory (in that run) just beat them.

NEB is 4-16 in its last 20 games vs Power 5 opposition.
NEB has lost its last game vs. 10 of 13 Big Ten teams - every team in B1G West.

In Nebraska's last 13 games teams have punted it 61 times.

Nebraska attempted a return just 9 times yielding 30 yards.

They fumbled twice and gave up a safety.

6 punts (2 downed, 4 fair catches) vs. Northwestern on Sat.

28 points scored by NEB. In the Big Ten, that usually means victory. Since 2018, B1G teams are 198-41 when scoring 28 pts or more vs Power 5 teams (83%). 
NEB is 8-10 in such games (44%). Indiana, at 64%, is the next closest B1G team

6 B1G teams have a winning percentage > 90% when scoring 28 or more points vs.

P5 teams: Wisconsin: 18-0 (100%) Northwestern: 10-0 (100%) Ohio St.: 34-1 (97%) Penn St.: 15-1 (94%) Iowa: 15-1 (94%) Michigan: 21-2 (91%)

Nationally, P5 teams are 928-281 (77%) in games when they score 28 pts or more vs. other P5 teams.

NEB's ranks 60th out 65 teams.

60. Nebraska (8-10, 44%)
61. Texas Tech (8-12, 40%)
62. Arizona (5-8, 39%)
63. Vanderbilt (3-5, 38%)
64. Kansas (4-7, 36%)
65. Arkansas (4-9, 31%)

Conversely, the B1G winning percentage when scoring less than 28 points against Power 5 teams is just 26% (81-231). Nebraska is 2-19 in such games (9.5%). That is ahead of Maryland (1-20, 4.8%) and Rutgers (3-33, 8.3%).

All other B1G teams have a win pct greater than 18%.

Since 1888, 158 coaches have had an undefeated season (min. 4 games, no ties).

Just 4 have a career win pct. < .500. Aldo Donelli, 1939-1967 (0.495) Phil Dickens, 1953-1964 (0.486) Scott Frost, 2016-2022 (0.479) Frank Lauterbur, 1963-1973 (0.465)

It had been 41 games since Northwestern last passed for more than 300 yards (314 today). Who did they last do that against? Scott Frost's 2018 Nebraska (455 yards).

Only 1 time in the last 54 games had Northwestern gained 500 yards on offense. They had 528 today.
In 3 of its last 9 games, Nebraska has had a win probability of 85% or greater in the 4th quarter...and lost.
20 Games... 22 Drives... 6 different QBs... 11 points... 1 win..."

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Here is the million dollar question.  Why has Frost not been able to win at NU?

Talent

Development

Staff

Scheme

Offense

Defense

We are a complete crap show and there is not one specific area I can point to.  Riley was a joke, BUT IMHO it seems Frost did "better" with Riley/Pelini players..It's not like Riley so poisoned the well that Frost had to completely rebuild like starting a program from scratch.  

All of these stats are prior to the ND game.  I copied from Huskermax.  Credit goes to them for compiling the Tweets into one thread.  If id needs to be removed, Mods feel free.  I do not understand A) How we are that bad B) Frost was retained....It seems impossible to accomplish such statistical anomalies....

"I still can't process the fact that Nebraska football has lost 9 of its last 10 games. And the lone victory (in that run) just beat them.

NEB is 4-16 in its last 20 games vs Power 5 opposition.
NEB has lost its last game vs. 10 of 13 Big Ten teams - every team in B1G West.

In Nebraska's last 13 games teams have punted it 61 times.

Nebraska attempted a return just 9 times yielding 30 yards.

They fumbled twice and gave up a safety.

6 punts (2 downed, 4 fair catches) vs. Northwestern on Sat.

28 points scored by NEB. In the Big Ten, that usually means victory. Since 2018, B1G teams are 198-41 when scoring 28 pts or more vs Power 5 teams (83%). 
NEB is 8-10 in such games (44%). Indiana, at 64%, is the next closest B1G team

6 B1G teams have a winning percentage > 90% when scoring 28 or more points vs.

P5 teams: Wisconsin: 18-0 (100%) Northwestern: 10-0 (100%) Ohio St.: 34-1 (97%) Penn St.: 15-1 (94%) Iowa: 15-1 (94%) Michigan: 21-2 (91%)

Nationally, P5 teams are 928-281 (77%) in games when they score 28 pts or more vs. other P5 teams.

NEB's ranks 60th out 65 teams.

60. Nebraska (8-10, 44%)
61. Texas Tech (8-12, 40%)
62. Arizona (5-8, 39%)
63. Vanderbilt (3-5, 38%)
64. Kansas (4-7, 36%)
65. Arkansas (4-9, 31%)

Conversely, the B1G winning percentage when scoring less than 28 points against Power 5 teams is just 26% (81-231). Nebraska is 2-19 in such games (9.5%). That is ahead of Maryland (1-20, 4.8%) and Rutgers (3-33, 8.3%).

All other B1G teams have a win pct greater than 18%.

Since 1888, 158 coaches have had an undefeated season (min. 4 games, no ties).

Just 4 have a career win pct. < .500. Aldo Donelli, 1939-1967 (0.495) Phil Dickens, 1953-1964 (0.486) Scott Frost, 2016-2022 (0.479) Frank Lauterbur, 1963-1973 (0.465)

It had been 41 games since Northwestern last passed for more than 300 yards (314 today). Who did they last do that against? Scott Frost's 2018 Nebraska (455 yards).

Only 1 time in the last 54 games had Northwestern gained 500 yards on offense. They had 528 today.
In 3 of its last 9 games, Nebraska has had a win probability of 85% or greater in the 4th quarter...and lost.
20 Games... 22 Drives... 6 different QBs... 11 points... 1 win..."

Wow.  Losing guys like Wandale, Spielman, and McCaffery is another bad thing. Not trying to be funny but I think we win like 3-4 more games if we had them. Not much but something.  Clock management has also killed us. There’s not been any particular unit to drive us to victory. It’s like you never know which unit is just going to break down and lay an egg. That’s why it’s largely been can AM win us this game, now same thing with CT and basically Grant won us the game yesterday.