Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, M.A. said:

There's no reason we can't be as competitive as many other successful programs in the league. There's challenges and I think most people's expectations are reasonable. 

I like Napier, Chadwell and Norvell. We have talent in skill positions in particular. I want to have an identity of having a stout offensive line and being more physical on both sides of the ball. It's not like ordering super of coarse (ha) but I'd like to get a group together of coaches and players that have as many "redeeming qualities" as possible. We're nowhere near where we should be now going into year 5. 

What makes you think a coach like Napier would even think about leaving Florida for Nebraska or even any of those coaches??? We may not be but take baby steps in order to take big steps.

One thing is certain in my opinion.   The next HC has to be a slam dunk big time splash guy.  A guaranteed recruit magnet with winning resume (P5, multi conf titles, natty, 10 plus yrs HC, media relations, etc).  The money is almost irrelevant.  

DONU has tired to hire a ‘good’ fb coach  with Frank, Bo, Riley, Callahan, and Frost.  Each had one or two of the resume boxes checked but clearly lacked a complete one.  Actually, you take the best of all of then and package em up and you got the one we need.

-  player magnet nationally known recruiting

-  10 + yrs HC at major program as winner

-  household name recognition as top HC

-  available to start ASAP or be announced           very soon if currently coaching. 
-  other resume enhancers,  not required but helpful, such as NFL experience as player or coach,  past ties to Nebraska, media relations, successful history in multiple offensive schemes OR defensive background.   

Essentially, this program is in its last legs without a major surgery.  The NEB FB brand is so tarnished as to hardly recognized by the recruits of today and tomorrow.  The next HC has to bring his own recruiting gravitas, he gets very little from the school and program.  The legacy brand is gone - squandered and wasted by the almost ready guys that preceded him.  

Fortunately, there is some residue of talent roughly half the current roster can provide a base to put a layer of perhaps 30-40 transfers and retain and build with h.s. recruits.  There are some staff that can be retained.  The transfer portal allows free agents en masse. It’s is not a long term project. DONU still is a football blue blood with huge fan base and audience attraction.  The time to strike is now.  

Is it too late for Frost ?  He needed that NW win and a blow out of ND.  He needed to make most national pundits believers again.  He’s failed. These two games have shown the 2022 team is likely not much ‘closer’ to top ten relevance than Riley or Pelini.  In fact it’s likely that Frost has yet to field a team as good as either Riley or Bo.  He’s trending down, lost his recruiting cache and is no longer even a fan favorite in Nebraska.  I don’t see how he recovers. He’s doomed to fail.  He squandered every opportunity and then some. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What makes you think a coach like Napier would even think about leaving Florida for Nebraska or even any of those coaches??? We may not be but take baby steps in order to take big steps.

Billy Napier is unlikely to leave. I like each of those coaches. 

8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

One thing is certain in my opinion.   The next HC has to be a slam dunk big time splash guy.  A guaranteed recruit magnet with winning resume (P5, multi conf titles, natty, 10 plus yrs HC, media relations, etc).  The money is almost irrelevant.  

DONU has tired to hire a ‘good’ fb coach  with Frank, Bo, Riley, Callahan, and Frost.  Each had one or two of the resume boxes checked but clearly lacked a complete one.  Actually, you take the best of all of then and package em up and you got the one we need.

-  player magnet nationally known recruiting

-  10 + yrs HC at major program as winner

-  household name recognition as top HC

-  available to start ASAP or be announced           very soon if currently coaching. 
-  other resume enhancers,  not required but helpful, such as NFL experience as player or coach,  past ties to Nebraska, media relations, successful history in multiple offensive schemes OR defensive background.   

Essentially, this program is in its last legs without a major surgery.  The NEB FB brand is so tarnished as to hardly recognized by the recruits of today and tomorrow.  The next HC has to bring his own recruiting gravitas, he gets very little from the school and program.  The legacy brand is gone - squandered and wasted by the almost ready guys that preceded him.  

Fortunately, there is some residue of talent roughly half the current roster can provide a base to put a layer of perhaps 30-40 transfers and retain and build with h.s. recruits.  There are some staff that can be retained.  The transfer portal allows free agents en masse. It’s is not a long term project. DONU still is a football blue blood with huge fan base and audience attraction.  The time to strike is now.  

Is it too late for Frost ?  He needed that NW win and a blow out of ND.  He needed to make most national pundits believers again.  He’s failed. These two games have shown the 2022 team is likely not much ‘closer’ to top ten relevance than Riley or Pelini.  In fact it’s likely that Frost has yet to field a team as good as either Riley or Bo.  He’s trending down, lost his recruiting cache and is no longer even a fan favorite in Nebraska.  I don’t see how he recovers. He’s doomed to fail.  He squandered every opportunity and then some. 

Lots of relevancy there!

Weren’t coaches like Osborne and Petersen playing the “infinite game”? To me it seems so. What do you think?

It’s possible that coach Frost has read the book.

4 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

a quality, known coach is not coming here.  best hope is for a young rising hopeful.

money alone is not going to get us a top notch guy.

The most likely possibility then is to get a commitment from a candidate that espouses characteristics of the quality, well known coach.

3 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

agree.  the culture under Frost has not developed.

I think that he genuinely wanted to turn the culture around and has made strides there. Perhaps it’s not ideal.

My issue has more to do with Scott’s skill set being incomplete for being a HC. He has credentials. It’s that he doesn’t have all of them that are necessary.

Put him in the role as a position couch as an OC it’s a better fit. Spending some time in the Saban program would likely serve him well.