Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

It will be interesting.  The responses have provided me a boost in hope.  I'm not sure why, but Bill O'Brien doesn't make me feel comfy even though he worked miracles at Penn State.

Bill O’Brien was great at Penn State and was a successful coach in the NFL for many years. I like him going back to Bama and being under Saban. He deserves some credit for the development of a Heisman Trophy winner.  The thing I like about O’Brien is that he would most likely be a professional as the head coach. This is something that has been lacking the past 5+ years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, HuskerJax said:

How different we are now. Urban Meyer is a s#!tshow of a human, but a great coach. 5 years ago he would have been the devil and no husker would want him, because we do it right here. Now? People are probably praying for him. And I am too. It’s a different world. We need to get back to being relevant. Stoops? If he were to take any other gig than Oklahoma, I think it would be Nebraska. Even Oklahoma fans would understand how much it would mean to bring this program back to being something. Who knows? My guess, we don’t end up with either one, probably some young upcoming coach.

That wouldn't be good bc Nebraska would be right back to square one with taking a while to win while a established coach would win right away. Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops are coaches at heart and just bc they are doing whatever they are doing being in studios or whatever doesn't mean they wouldn't take up the challenge if you didn't put money in their faces. Money always talks. If you go out and get the Matt Campbell or Luke Fickell's coaches expect hardships or second tier coaches with their coaching staffs. Yes I know they have success but long term consistency. Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops have instance credibility with people in the industry to bring first rate coaches with them. Say what you want about either of those 2 coaches but they are national championship caliber coaches.

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

Seeing a lot of underwhelming names. Remember the B1G is expanding, we’ll be playing the juggernaut Lincoln Riley USC Trojans as well as dealing with the Ohio State’s and Michigan’s. This is really a go big or go home moment. 

I agree with you!!! You want to be a big dog in the fight go get a big name that will attract national recruits. We struggle to recruit bc of the team success so we tried to plug holes and I thought it would work but it hasn't.

I love talking candidates. It's all that gives me hope at this point.

My rankings and thoughts:

1. Urban - he's not coming. Notre Dame is going to cut bait and hire him first if he wants to come back to coaching

2. Stoops - If he wanted to coach in the big time again he'd be in lincoln next weekend. Not coming

3. Aranda - Not coming. He's paid what we can afford and he's going to be in the playoff every year when it expands.

4. Mark Stoops - I'd love it if he came but I think it's a long shot.

5. Bill O'Brien - He's looking for work. He would be an a-hole but the team would be tough and he can recruit. We'd have an 8-win floor shortly.

6. Campbell - Has built two solid programs that are tough and has shown he can sustain sucess.

7. Fickell - Not coming since he won't leave ohio. Has done a good job at Cincy and has the tools to succeed in B1G

8. Jim Leonhard - awesome coach. If we don't take him he'll kill us when he's coaching at Iowa

9. Kalen Deboer - Rising star with a good schematic identity. Coaches, develops, and builds good culture.

10. Sean Lewis - Kent State is a dogs#!t program (maybe the most in the FBS with ULM) and he's elevated them and made a tough team. He's young but he'll be a star.

11. Lance leipold: I think he's a little old but it seems like destiny. This man has ressurected KANSAS.

**Paul Chryst/PJ Fleck: I think you see if they want it

Hell nah (skeezers and scott frosts): Hugh Freeze, Jamey Chadwell,  Coach O, Dan Mullen, Mickey Joseph, Chris Kleiman

Not finna happen: Chris Petersen, Zac Taylor, Bill Belicheck, Nick Saban

Love to mix it up so lemme know your thoughts on any of these guys. GBFR

• Thanks 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

I agree with you!!! You want to be a big dog in the fight go get a big name that will attract national recruits. We struggle to recruit bc of the team success so we tried to plug holes and I thought it would work but it hasn't.

A big name coach makes us a national destination, something we have struggled with. Campbell is nice but he’s not pulling 4 and 5 stars out of CA, TX, and the south. The B1G is now a national conference. We need to start acting like it.

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Would you hire this coach based on his career record?

87–43

That's a tough one to instantly say yes. Don't know if his name is big enough to attract recruits to Lincoln to win on a consistent basis. If Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops do in fact get hired then they wouldn't necessarily win championships every year but they would be the talk and their wouldn't be no losing or so so records I can promise you that.

Just now, TonkaSker said:

I mean it depends. Is he beating Notre Dame or Holy Cross

haha it's Gus Malzahn 

But Matt Campbell, Matt Rhules, Lane Kiffins, and Bryan Harsin's of the world have similar head coaching records in FBS. 

My struggle is I just don't see the difference between any of them. I guess at the end of the day if they can just win some games each season it'd be fine    

2 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I love talking candidates. It's all that gives me hope at this point.

My rankings and thoughts:

1. Urban - he's not coming. Notre Dame is going to cut bait and hire him first if he wants to come back to coaching

2. Stoops - If he wanted to coach in the big time again he'd be in lincoln next weekend. Not coming

3. Aranda - Not coming. He's paid what we can afford and he's going to be in the playoff every year when it expands.

4. Mark Stoops - I'd love it if he came but I think it's a long shot.

5. Bill O'Brien - He's looking for work. He would be an a-hole but the team would be tough and he can recruit. We'd have an 8-win floor shortly.

6. Campbell - Has built two solid programs that are tough and has shown he can sustain sucess.

7. Fickell - Not coming since he won't leave ohio. Has done a good job at Cincy and has the tools to succeed in B1G

8. Jim Leonhard - awesome coach. If we don't take him he'll kill us when he's coaching at Iowa

9. Kalen Deboer - Rising star with a good schematic identity. Coaches, develops, and builds good culture.

10. Sean Lewis - Kent State is a dogs#!t program (maybe the most in the FBS with ULM) and he's elevated them and made a tough team. He's young but he'll be a star.

11. Lance leipold: I think he's a little old but it seems like destiny. This man has ressurected KANSAS.

**Paul Chryst/PJ Fleck: I think you see if they want it

Hell nah (skeezers and scott frosts): Hugh Freeze, Jamey Chadwell,  Coach O, Dan Mullen, Mickey Joseph, Chris Kleiman

Not finna happen: Chris Petersen, Zac Taylor, Bill Belicheck, Nick Saban

Love to mix it up so lemme know your thoughts on any of these guys. GBFR

Leonhard is coach in waiting for Wisconsin.  Your 1-7 all need a look. I’m not big on Fickell. 

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

haha it's Gus Malzahn 

But Matt Campbell, Matt Rhules, Lane Kiffins, and Bryan Harsin's of the world have similar head coaching records in FBS. 

My struggle is I just don't see the difference between any of them. I guess at the end of the day if they can just win some games each season it'd be fine    

I like Gus 

Might be dumb football-guy stuff but I'd like to hire someone who's won in cold weather.

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

Leonhard is coach in waiting for Wisconsin.  Your 1-7 all need a look. I’m not big on Fickell. 

That's why I included Chryst. I think they make a move as soon as they catch wind Leonhard is interviewing.