Who should our next HC be?

Just now, TonkaSker said:

I like Gus 

Might be dumb football-guy stuff but I'd like to hire someone who's won in cold weather.

i'm not for him, I just think landing someone with a relatively stable body of work would be good.  

This is where Dave Aranda or Jim Leonard would scare me.  I'm thinking we try to land someone with wins under their belt over maybe a decade of results  

Just now, chamrocck said:

Dan Mullen is worth a look. He can run a program. I’d really like to understand his staff. We need nasty back on defense. Who would he have for defense? Connections to the south could help us. 

I see people laugh him off, but I mean...look at his career record.  He will win games and lose some as well.  but he will win some too.  Typically he wins more than he loses, but sometimes he loses too.

With Frost right now it's just an endless losing feeling.

We need stability more than a home run in my opinion.  But of course, I am reacting to a snakebite and not reacting like a proud winner.

44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A Stoops or Meyer isn’t going to come in midway thru the season, so this season is going to finish with an interim head coach. Yes, this is most likely a lost season, but firing Frost could give the team a new voice to make the best of this season. 

I know they are not coming midsession, but we could know they are coming next year. That would be a huge difference in recruiting 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

I see people laugh him off, but I mean...look at his career record.  He will win games and lose some as well.  but he will win some too.  Typically he wins more than he loses, but sometimes he loses too.

We need stability more than a home run in my opinion.  But of course, I am reacting to a snakebite and not reacting like a proud winner.

We could have stability with being a home run hire!!!!

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Coaching hires are always a risk. Alabama had Bear Bryant, then didn’t do squat for 15 years, and then won a natty with Gene Stallings (who was a failed NFL coach). Then after Stallings left Bama went thru multiple coaches before landing Saban (another failed NFL coach). It’s not an exact science, but thinking about a new coach is exciting. 

1 minute ago, HuskerJax said:

I know they are not coming midsession, but we could know they are coming next year. That would be a huge difference in recruiting 

No it wouldn’t. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

I would hope he would be third option. Why didn't he last at Florida?

See Florida has been in a constant state of desperation since Urby stepped down. I don't think we can pin any Florida knee jerk reaction on the coach.

He was 34-15 at Florida.  They fired him because they hated his PR and they felt they should win more games.

I think the difference is right now Nebraska just needs to win some games.  Not saying Mullen is the guy...just pointing out his record is stable just like alot of other coaches being thrown out

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Florida was a mess when he got there. He built a winning program at Miss State, which had always sucked before he got there. Yeah, he had a future NFL QB in Dak, but Mullen got him there and used him.

There are question marks with every coach, that’s why they are available. There is no such thing as a sure home run hire. 

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He’s worth a look. A lot of these guys wear out their welcome in places. Guys like Sark and Kiffen did too and now they both have prominent jobs. I think guys like Mullen and Tom Herman will be in the Power 5 again. 

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Trev will look for an established or proven current or former HC before selecting an up and comer.  It’s what he did for UNO hockey and it worked.  Why wouldn’t he use the same “blueprint “ in this case?  

I agree. That’s why he will try to lure a current Power 5 coach, or a former P5/NFL coach. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

See Florida has been in a constant state of desperation since Urby stepped down. I don't think we can pin any Florida knee jerk reaction on the coach.

He was 34-15 at Florida.  They fired him because they hated his PR and they felt they should win more games.

I think the difference is right now Nebraska just needs to win some games.  Not saying Mullen is the guy...just pointing out his record is stable just like alot of other coaches being thrown 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Coaching hires are always a risk. Alabama had Bear Bryant, then didn’t do squat for 15 years, and then won a natty with Gene Stallings (who was a failed NFL coach). Then after Stallings left Bama went thru multiple coaches before landing Saban (another failed NFL coach). It’s not an exact science, but thinking about a new coach is exciting. 

No it wouldn’t

Why wouldn't it???? Lets just say you hire Urban Meyer you don't think national kids even if they don't have a relationship with him right now wouldn't get excited to go play for him. Kids know who he is and kids want to play for winner's.