Who should our next HC be?

The expectations (entitlement if you prefer that term) are what makes NU a blue blood program.  Once upon a time, Nebraska was not an elite class program, but perseverance and decades of hard work changed the culture and NU became a place for success instead. There is absolutely nothing wrong with success and striving to be the best.   

Being ‘average’, below average, mediocre, or worse (where we are now), is failing.  Every program should aspire to be a championship winning program.    That doesn’t mean championships are won every season.  But it does mean that short of championships, every effort has to be made to improve.  

Failure is NOT an option is a better motto.   It should be unacceptable and if you don’t succeed, you make changes, work harder, work smarter and you never relent, until you win.  

The University and it’s academic programs, as well as athletics program, should be always growing better, smarter, stronger, etc.  Acceptance of less than the best results (players, coaches, administrators, teachers, class offerings, etc) is unacceptable and inherently doomed to failure.  Implicit in no fear of failure is an acceptance that failure is acceptable - maybe next time but if not, oh well, don’t feel bad or worry about.  The team appears to have somehow developed a subconscious fear of success in the process.   

Disappointment from losing the games as a team is a product of the cumulative effect of individual players failing to do their part in the group effort. I hear all this ‘players have to hold each other ‘accountable’ montra and get the culture right stuff.  But the coach’s message is essentially- don’t fret about failing to do your part, it’s ok - we will get em next time or the time after that or the year after that , maybe.  

The problem with this approach is there are a bunch of Frost recruits who will come and now go, after a 5 year stay, that have not experienced winning something meaningful.  That’s not fair to those players.  Nebraska ought not be the place players go to learn how to lose with no regrets.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I agree with the assumption that we can not expect the dominance like we had, but I disagree that our ceiling is 9 wins. The passion and commitment this state has invested into it's university teams will lead to limitless success ceilings in my opinion. Look no further than the women's volleyball program. It is ABSOLUTELY possible to churn out a dominant program from this location. I do not see any reason we can not be in the conversation year in and year out with the OSU's, Oklahoma's, Georgia's of the world. It takes the right leadership.. We haven't had that in a long, long time. I'm not convinced we do at this point, either, but the only thing limiting our program is a power coach with his/her s#!t together. 

Don't settle!!!!

I never said nine wins was the ceiling. In fact, that was the floor for Bo. Yes Ohio State, Oklahoma, Bama and Georgia are current programs we aspire to be. However, those programs did not become top 10 programs overnight. Instead, they committed to sustained success with 8-10 win seasons, occasionally popping off for a 11-12 win year while always remaining in the hunt. If “settling” is 9-10 wins a year (every year), sign me up. 

I wouldn’t compare volleyball dominance to football very much. Nebraska has several advantages that other Power 5 programs won’t offer in volleyball. In football, those advantages are less prominent in comparison to peers. 

24 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Id be fine with a few years of 9 or 10 wins per season with 3 or 4 blowout losses. Then I'd want to see additional progress.

Would you say we were making progress with Bo or not? Three conference titles games in seven years (across two vastly different conferences). Add in the fact that his boss and his boss’ boss hated the guy and undercut him at every turn? I would say it was miraculous that the team kept winning during that time. 

10 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Mike Locksley would be the death of the program.  FIre a loser and hire an even bigger loser.

I hope that was a drunken misunderstanding in stating Locksley on Thursday- who doesn't day drink?.. I had to ask twice just to make sure he was no saying someone born in Maryland... I would give it 18% credence on Locksley.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Im so tired of hearing that we have no shot at getting Urban Meyer or frankly someone with his stature. Trev has to try and put the very best product on the field otherwise he will be gone eventually as well. At the very least he will have a conversation thats all you can hope for. Nebraska is a special place to play and coach.  "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; in the deed the glory."

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im so tired of hearing that we have no shot at getting Urban Meyer or frankly someone with his stature. Trev has to try and put the very best product on the field otherwise he will be gone eventually as well. At the very least he will have a conversation thats all you can hope for. Nebraska is a special place to play and coach.  "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; in the deed the glory."

I always wondered what that truly meant

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Expecting the dominance of the 80s & 90s is not reasonable for our program in this day and age. 

...and I don't think any realistic person is expecting that. However, the West isn't that difficult to win, and there's absolutely no reason why we can't be on the level of a Wisconsin or Iowa. 

Urban Meyer will be in town next weekend... coincidence? I'm glad he'll get to see our talent and new facilities firsthand. It's not like this is going to require a drastic rebuild -- we have talent. Not too late to salvage a decent recruiting class and bring in guys from the portal who would love the opportunity to play for him. Question is, would Trev even consider him, or does he have too many skeletons in his closet?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

...and I don't think any realistic person is expecting that. However, the West isn't that difficult to win, and there's absolutely no reason why we can't be on the level of a Wisconsin or Iowa. 

Totally agree, the post was a response that “settling” for nine wins a year was unacceptable. Nine wins means a division title every other year or so. To me, that seems satisfactory with the assumption that over time, we have a few outlier seasons and pop for a playoff run.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Urban Meyer will be in town next weekend... coincidence? I'm glad he'll get to see our talent and new facilities firsthand. It's not like this is going to require a drastic rebuild -- we have talent. 

He Will