Who should our next HC be?

Are you all forgetting what just happened with Urban? Where is this expectation that high quality players WANT to play for him now coming from? NFL players hated playing for him — they thought he was a bad coach and not good person — and they made that known. You want to bring in a coach that has a lot of legal (not to mention ethical and moral) issues, and who word among NFL players is that you don’t want to play for him? One NFL insider involved there called his work at Jacksonville “one of the most toxic environments/teams I’ve ever been a part of.” Why would high schoolers want to play for a coach that NFL players say is terrible and to stay away from… 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Bo has not garnered sustained success anywhere in his career. He was trending down every year he was NU's head coach. It's easy to look back more fondly from our current cellar dweller position at those years, but he wasn't the answer for our program any more that Billy C was or Mike Riley. All of them took over the program and watched it slip under their watch, more and more. Of all the failed coaches, Frank was the only one I think would have been better to keep in the long run than to let go.  He may have been ok had we taken the recruiting aspect out of his hands and dedicated and entire department to supporting him in that regard. What a novel idea. As a program,  we do actually deserve better than we've gotten over the past 10+ years.  Not because we are pre-ordained to be good, but because we are committed and devoted to it. The coaching professionalism and quality need only match the program's dedication. It doesn't mean we are champions year in and year out, but it should equate to less complete embarrassment and folly. 

We must not have seen the program the same during Bo’s time. In my view, making the conference title game every other year was a pretty good performance. Despite the administrative hurdles and that little conference realignment thing, he continued to win. Would have been really neat to see how good he could have been with support from his AD and the Chancellor (and local media not feeding the fire). As a side note: Bo led his team to the FCS title game in his second year with the Penguins. Fell off after that, but clearly he was doing something right. 

I do agree with your assessment that our program should be better and not just because we’re Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Jenga said:

Are you all forgetting what just happened with Urban? Where is this expectation that high quality players WANT to play for him now coming from? NFL players hated playing for him — they thought he was a bad coach and not good person — and they made that known. You want to bring in a coach that has a lot of legal (not to mention ethical and moral) issues, and who word among NFL players is that you don’t want to play for him? One NFL insider involved there called his work at Jacksonville “one of the most toxic environments/teams I’ve ever been a part of.” Why would high schoolers want to play for a coach that NFL players say is terrible and to stay away from… 

Oh sh!t i didnt know Nebraska was going to the NFL 

6 minutes ago, Jenga said:

Are you all forgetting what just happened with Urban? Where is this expectation that high quality players WANT to play for him now coming from

He's an elite college football coach.  Players want to play for an elite coach so they can get the biggest payday possible.   Even if that means he gives the occasional kicker a swift kick in the a$$.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

Chris Klieman

We’ve hired hot commodities. We’ve hired offensive & defensive “masterminds”. It’s time to place an emphasis on fundamentally sound football and player development. It’s time to hire a proven winner that doesn’t rely on top talent. Delivering an aggressive middle finger towards K State would be kewl too. 

I'm personally not a big Klieman fan, mainly because I don't think he'll be able to recruit the level of talent we need.

10 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Understandable how you feel but three national championships speak for themselves no matter how you or me feel about it. Nebraska should be that desperate to win. Trev can't mess this up or he will be gone just like Frost.

He does have natties, but you make it seem like he is the only one that can get us there. After Jacksonville, your assumption may not be a guarantee. 

Side note. If folks on offense don't leave early for the draft, Mullen can get us to Indy next year. And he shown he can be competitive with BAMA and UGA in recent history, not to mention he played Burrow's LSU competitive. Dude has a stellar resume and made Miss State into something in the SEC WEST. Give him a decent o line coach and DC, and we can make a lot of noise.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Fell off after that, but clearly he was doing something right. 

I guess it's the fall off that has me convinced he wasn't our answer either.  I feel he was falling off while here as well. Good coaches don't get boat raced several times a year. He just wasn't a Nebraska level coach in my opinion, and that has been shown over the years following his career as well. Just because we have hired even worse coaches along the way, doesn't mean he should have been retained.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Jenga said:

Urban Meyer is an elite coach. These kids want to play for someone who gives them the best shot at making it to the NFL. He's one of them.

12 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

He does have natties, but you make it seem like he is the only one that can get us there. After Jacksonville, your assumption may not be a guarantee. 

Side note. If folks on offense don't leave early for the draft, Mullen can get us to Indy next year. And he shown he can be competitive with BAMA and UGA in recent history, not to mention he played Burrow's LSU competitive. Dude has a stellar resume and made Miss State into something in the SEC WEST. Give him a decent o line coach and DC, and we can make a lot of noise.

No its the believe that he Should be the first option to get us there!!!!