Who should our next HC be?

15 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I do not know why people do not Bret Bielema. I really believe he will turn things around very quickly. I bet he has us playing for the big ten championship in first year. He understands big ten football and he knows defense. I am not saying he is my number 1 pick but he is definitely one of my top five.

I think people think he's a jerk.  I could care less.  Dudes not going to ask me over for dinner.  And I am sure won't follow me on social media....He knows the B1G.

• Plus1 1

This is Mickey's audition.  Its frankly his job to lose or win at this point.  I read all of these list of names and laugh.  Put away the thoughts of dream coaching hire and start thinking about those who want to come here.  This job will entail 24/7 recruiting.  It will demand that the coach knows how to meet the public demands.  Its demands are far great now than 5 years ago or 8 years ago or 15 years ago.  The window shopping degree of this job is gone.  We don't have any appeal for guy who has a great reputation.  So far our job has left the last few head coaches useless and ruined.  I don't see a name of that list that would come to risk failure.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

TBH, prior to going to hiring Frost in 2018, I really liked Campbell for HC at Nebraska.  Proven guy at Toldeo, year 2 did great at Iowa St compared to where they were in the past.  Based on the 3 years of Riley.  BUT I think we are so far removed from Mr .500 that we need a guy who can do more.  I think he would've been a great transition from Riley.  Don't think we'd have had anything less that what he's done at Iowa St, but 4 years of losing in the most amazing ways possible, 5-22 in 1 score games, not beating a team with a pulse just seems like safe would only get him fired TBH.  We need to swing for the fences.  I also think that the B1G, top to bottom, is a harder conference than the Big 12.  

I think Campbell would be a solid hire.  I think he'd be different than Riley, given the situations of their career.  Riley was at the end of his road, while Campbell is in his early 40s.  He's done wonders at Iowa State, where he's had 5 winning seasons, which is basically the same amount of winning seasons Iowa State had in the prior 40 years.  Yes, the Big Ten would be a harder conference, Campbell has coached in the Big Ten area his entire career.

6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

This is Mickey's audition.  Its frankly his job to lose or win at this point.  I read all of these list of names and laugh.  Put away the thoughts of dream coaching hire and start thinking about those who want to come here.  This job will entail 24/7 recruiting.  It will demand that the coach knows how to meet the public demands.  Its demands are far great now than 5 years ago or 8 years ago or 15 years ago.  The window shopping degree of this job is gone.  We don't have any appeal for guy who has a great reputation.  So far our job has left the last few head coaches useless and ruined.  I don't see a name of that list that would come to risk failure.

Unfortunately true

Face the music.  Frost was the only candiate.  Riley was the only choice.  Callahan was the only choice.  Pelini was a fan choice hire.  This job is not a top 15 job at this point.  So if I am at Iowa St or Kansas St or whomever else, do you want this gig, if your having some success and the fan base at your current stop is realisitc?  We want 10 wins or bust.  Thats the reason why coaches won't even entertain this job.  If we could be realistic and realize that we need 6 wins first then maybe 7, then maybe 8 and then maybe 9, 10 might happen then.  We all feel like fools that Solich and Pelini were fired looking back.  They had mulitipe teams win 9 games, and were close to winning 10 games each of those seasons.  Callahan had us to 8 wins.

You couldn't be any more wrong.  The Big Ten and the SEC are going to be the main go-forward conferences.  Being in the Big Ten puts NU in the top echelon.  Throw in the fan support, booster support, facilities, etc. and NU is still an attractive landing spot for coaches.  There will be coaches from the Big 12, Pac 12, or ACC who would like the opportunity to take a Big Ten job.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Face the music.  Frost was the only candiate.  Riley was the only choice.  Callahan was the only choice.  Pelini was a fan choice hire.  

Riley was not the only choice.  They just barely spent any energy looking.  They thought anyone could win 9 games.

Callahan was the last choice after a bunch of others turned us down.

• Plus1 1

How can you claim to know what these coaches think?  As far as recruiting and public demands, this job is no worse than really any other Blue Blood program.  If a coach is good, all those things you mentioned get easier.  I'm sorry, but Nebraska is still a good job.  The chances of Mickey turning this around enough to end up getting the job are pretty slim.  I would love to see him retained by the next guy, though.

• Plus1 1

I think that our coaching job is not top 15 but our program is still a Top 15 program if things are done right.

Right now I would if had a choice coach at Georgia-Bama-USC-Texas-OU-LSU-NOtre Dame-Michigan-Ohio ST-Florida-FloridaSt-Miami-Auburn-Thats just 13 that come to mind without any thoughts.

2 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Does anyone think Jeff Monken could make it work?

Personally I like the guy. Perhaps the biggest question is does he want to come here (Only he could answer that). I don't see any reason to not have a discussion with him if he's open to it. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You couldn't be any more wrong.  The Big Ten and the SEC are going to be the main go-forward conferences.  Being in the Big Ten puts NU in the top echelon.  Throw in the fan support, booster support, facilities, etc. and NU is still an attractive landing spot for coaches.  There will be coaches from the Big 12, Pac 12, or ACC who would like the opportunity to take a Big Ten job.

Actually, the most intriguing part of the Nebraska job is the guaranteed buyout.

They would be next in line on the beach for a Medelo from Snoop Dog.

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Riley was not the only choice.  They just barely spent any energy looking.  They thought anyone could win 9 games.

Callahan was the last choice after a bunch of others turned us down.

OK Sorry for the terminology.  They chose us because we whiffed on who we wanted.  Does that make everyone feel better?  REally, we have not had that splash hire here, ever.  Frost was the closest, how didi that go?  Stop with the narrative of hiring because we didn't wait for the right one to fall in our lap.  We didn't hire Callahan until mid January because no one want this job then.  Riley was hired because no one wanted this job that was sought after.  We were jilted at the alter by all of the brides thus far.  This is why we got those who we got.  Its not because no one offered or tried.  Its frankly the fact that this job has super unrealistic goals and a fanbase who won't let go of the 80's and 90's.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

OK Sorry for the terminology.  They chose us because we whiffed on who we wanted.  Does that make everyone feel better?  REally, we have not had that splash hire here, ever.  Frost was the closest, how didi that go?  Stop with the narrative of hiring because we didn't wait for the right one to fall in our lap.  We didn't hire Callahan until mid January because no one want this job then.  Riley was hired because no one wanted this job that was sought after.  We were jilted at the alter by all of the brides thus far.  This is why we got those who we got.  Its not because no one offered or tried.  Its frankly the fact that this job has super unrealistic goals and a fanbase who won't let go of the 80's and 90's.

The fan base in their 20s and early 30s, don't even know what NU was like in the 80s and 90s.  NU fans just want to see talented players playing sound, physical, and fundamental football.  It doesn't need to be dominant like it was 20+ years ago, but it needs to be "good football".  NU hasn't had that in the last 2 coaches, and didn't always have that under Pelini, Callahan, and Solich.

• Plus1 2