Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

How can you claim to know what these coaches think?  As far as recruiting and public demands, this job is no worse than really any other Blue Blood program.  If a coach is good, all those things you mentioned get easier.  I'm sorry, but Nebraska is still a good job.  The chances of Mickey turning this around enough to end up getting the job are pretty slim.  I would love to see him retained by the next guy, though.

There are so many possible scenarios. We really don't know who's interested or not. At least a few might entertain the idea. It's really difficult to know what the motivations are for different potential candidates. It might be someone hungry for a challenge that eventually comes on board.

I'm a Joseph fan. I'm glad that he's here. Just the kind of person you want on your team. Does he want to be head coach? How well would he do? No reason for him not to be part of the discussion. He's given a lot to Nebraska. I'm grateful for his contributions. 

Nebraska is a good job. Are there challenges? Sure! No doubt about that. Some won't want to come here. So what. Others would. We love our football. 

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

OK Sorry for the terminology.  They chose us because we whiffed on who we wanted.  Does that make everyone feel better?  REally, we have not had that splash hire here, ever.  Frost was the closest, how didi that go?  Stop with the narrative of hiring because we didn't wait for the right one to fall in our lap.  We didn't hire Callahan until mid January because no one want this job then.  Riley was hired because no one wanted this job that was sought after.  We were jilted at the alter by all of the brides thus far.  This is why we got those who we got.  Its not because no one offered or tried.  Its frankly the fact that this job has super unrealistic goals and a fanbase who won't let go of the 80's and 90's.

Nobody who hired those past coaches are even around anymore.  Potential candidates aren't going to hold Callahan and Riley against us.  Fans will be fans--that's true anywhere.  What "unrealistic" goals has Trev Alberts laid out for the next hire?  Trev essentially said "we aren't living in the past anymore and worrying about what we did in the 90s".  

Really the thought that the SEC and Big 10 are the king s#!ts of College football is not the real thing either.  12 playoff spots.  12 spots for 4 or  5 conferences.  Yes the Big 10 should get at least 2 teams every year......USC-Ohio St or Michigan!  SEC might get 3 teams each year.  Georgia- Bama- Florida or LSU.  ACC will have Clemson and Florida ST or Miami.  Big 12/Pac 12 will have someone. Notre Dame and Group of 5.  Where do we really fit into this scenario?  Wow forgot about Texas and OU.  SEC will get up to 4 teams each year.  Big 10 might get 3.  Big 12/Pac 12 will get at least one. Notre Dame will have its chances.  ACC will have at least 2 if Florida St and Miami turn things around.  That leaves at least one bid for the Group of 5 teams still and a wildcard from one of the other P5 conferences.  College football needs teams like Georgia Southern Applachian  STate and Marshall. 

• Haha 1

I think Matt Ruhle would be very good.  I watched him do a good at Baylor, but he took the NFL money.

I would love Lane Kiffin (words I would never have said 10 years ago) - but there is no chance that happens.

Urban Meyer would immediately get the juice going.

In the end, it will probably that dummy bill o'brien

1 minute ago, M.A. said:

There are so many possible scenarios. We really don't know who's interested or not. At least a few might entertain the idea. It's really difficult to know what the motivations are for different potential candidates. It might be someone hungry for a challenge that eventually comes on board.

I'm a Joseph fan. I'm glad that he's here. Just the kind of person you want on your team. Does he want to be head coach? How well would he do? No reason for him not to be part of the discussion. He's given a lot to Nebraska. I'm grateful for his contributions. 

Nebraska is a good job. Are there challenges? Sure! No doubt about that. Some won't want to come here. So what. Others would. We love our football. 

I'm intrigued to see what he can do. He's never been given much attention as a potential big-time head coach, but maybe he could get bring in his brother as DC, should he land the job? Doubtful, but hey.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Nobody who hired those past coaches are even around anymore.  Potential candidates aren't going to hold Callahan and Riley against us.  Fans will be fans--that's true anywhere.  What "unrealistic" goals has Trev Alberts laid out for the next hire?  Trev essentially said "we aren't living in the past anymore and worrying about what we did in the 90s".  

My posts are directly directed toward our fan base, not on Trev.  For the first time since Solich was fired, we might have an AD who CAN make the right hire for this program.  Also enroute in doing so, we might not get the sexy pick like some want and have wanted, that have not come here.  They were offered, they turned it down then and more than likely will do it again.  Finding that guy who could, would and can, thats the job for Trev.  But again, we finally have an AD with some knowledge of all aspects of this program, and the landscape of college football.

• Plus1 3

Whoever it is I want to see a vision, of what our identity needs to be.  Without identity you can't have culture.

Unless we are happy with our identity being "take what the other team is giving us". (from pressers with both Riley and Frost)

I want the next HC to have that identity, make it a culture, and then go our and impose our will on the other team, instead of trying to out think, out coach, trickery onside kicks, etc.

Figure out who we are and go be that.  Pains me to say but works for Iowa, Wiscy, and Minnesota.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Everyone lighten up.  I am not an Urban fan, more because its lost cause.  Stoops-lost cause.  A lot of names on that list are lost causes.  I am however a big fan of someone who has more to offer at this point than just x and o's.  Mickey is a good guy for this role of interim coach.  He is our next head coach.  If we can't get behind him now, we can not get behind the next guy either.  This has been the issue since Callahan was hired and even worse when Riley was hired.  They didn't fit the mold for who we wanted.  They were who wanted us, and right now thats really good enough for me.  Right now, Mickey is the only one who wants this and he now has his chance to shine.  Lets get behind him, more and better than we got behind Frost and Riley for that matter.  Lets hope they succeed now.  We didn't for Riley.  We didn't for Pelini in his last few seasons.  In my estitmation, this might be the last chance to get that someone, all be it Mickey or whomever is next.  This is the most important hire we have ever had.  BAma, OU and others never had 20 years of this kind of turmoil with its coaches.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, admo said:

I think Matt Ruhle would be very good.  I watched him do a good at Baylor, but he took the NFL money.

I would love Lane Kiffin (words I would never have said 10 years ago) - but there is no chance that happens.

Urban Meyer would immediately get the juice going.

In the end, it will probably that dummy bill o'brien

My only concern w/ Rhule is that he never beat a ranked team while with Baylor. Kiffin's not coming. Meyer would be my #1 choice. I thought O'Brien would be ok but after watching his playcalling against Texas I'm not so sure.