Who should our next HC be?

Don't understand the hate for campbell unless your expectation is a national championship. Unless Urban Meyer walks through the door we're not winning one either, so the focus should be development, consistency, and culture. Campbell did it at Toledo and replicated it at ISU. 

I also don't understand how you all forgot how piss poor of a program Iowa State is. Iowa State:

- Has never had a 10-win season

- Had never won a NY6 bowl (until campbell)

- Has not had a first round draft pick since 1973 (Real shot last year with Breece and this year with Will McDonald)

In a 12-team playoff era you don't need a roster full of 5-stars to get a berth. Matt Campbell would have taken Iowa State, one of four REAL poverty programs (Wash State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, ISU) to the playoff in this format.

Since the invention of the car, ISU's winningest coach was Earl Bruce at .529. Matt Campbell is .560 in twice as many games and has won a fiesta bowl. The fact is that there will not be a better candidate interested than Matt Campbell. Aranda, Urban, etc are not coming.

12 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Don't understand the hate for campbell unless your expectation is a national championship. Unless Urban Meyer walks through the door we're not winning one either, so the focus should be development, consistency, and culture. Campbell did it at Toledo and replicated it at ISU. 

I also don't understand how you all forgot how piss poor of a program Iowa State is. Iowa State:

- Has never had a 10-win season

- Had never won a NY6 bowl (until campbell)

- Has not had a first round draft pick since 1973 (Real shot last year with Breece and this year with Will McDonald)

In a 12-team playoff era you don't need a roster full of 5-stars to get a berth. Matt Campbell would have taken Iowa State, one of four REAL poverty programs (Wash State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, ISU) to the playoff in this format.

Since the invention of the car, ISU's winningest coach was Earl Bruce at .529. Matt Campbell is .560 in twice as many games and has won a fiesta bowl. The fact is that there will not be a better candidate interested than Matt Campbell. Aranda, Urban, etc are not coming.

I don't think Campbell will even be interested. I just have a bad feeling about this one...I really hope it does not turn into the Callahan hiring where SP whiffed on a handful of other candidates. Maybe it is just the last 20+ years of crap we have had to put up with with the hires that have been made that make me feel this way. Firing Frost needed to happen (still feel for him and appreciate all he did as a player and coach), but I just don't have faith (in the leadership) that a big name or someone with the experience needed is coming in.

5 hours ago, BoSolich said:

i think even frost could have mustered up at least one 9 win season in 7 years in the big 12 if i'm being honest. the big 10 is a different animal. 

give me bielma or urban over cambell. they have won in the big10

and if mark stoops can win 10 in the SEC, then he could probably figure out the big10 as well

Not sure how you can look at Bielema's record (esp. at Arkansas) and say Campbell is subpar. I like Bielema but it's still pretty soon to judge him at Illinois. Campbell is four years ahead of him in a best case scenario for Bert.

No amount of money will bring Urban here. Cold take me if you want.

Stoops has a lifetime contract at UK. Every time he wins 7 games he gets an auto-extension. Kentucky will match whatever we offer to keep him and he's not jeopardizing that for a job where the ceiling is ostensibly the same (win 10 games and lose to OSU/Georgia/Alabama in the playoff semis) except for Iowa, which he has said on the record that its the only job he would leave for.

Also, if Frost could win 9 games in the big 12 he would have gone 6-6 at least once here. There might be a slight step up in competition but its not that drastic. Buddy can't even beat Georgia Southern.

14 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

I don't think Campbell will even be interested. I just have a bad feeling about this one...I really hope it does not turn into the Callahan hiring where SP whiffed on a handful of other candidates. Maybe it is just the last 20+ years of crap we have had to put up with with the hires that have been made that make me feel this way. Firing Frost needed to happen (still feel for him and appreciate all he did as a player and coach), but I just don't have faith (in the leadership) that a big name or someone with the experience needed is coming in.

I'm pretty optimistic that he's interested, and even if he's not I think that this will be a far more organized search than SP/Callahan. Reasons why:

1. I don't put a ton of stock in rumors but there's a lot of smoke around Campbell. He's turned down bigger jobs but I believe it was for Ohio State/Michigan. Both of those seats are as solid as they've been in the last five years. Even if Day leaves for the NFL Fickell wins that job over Matt. He's kind of in a piss or get off the pot situation and his program will be at a huge disadvantage the longer he waits.

2. The program is in the best shape it's been in for a long, long time which is the national perception, too if you're in the know. Finances are great, boosters and donors are on the same page with the AD, and expectations are relatively low. Specific to football, there is talent on the roster and it's a really attractive portal destination. Outside the top 5 or so programs in the country, NIL/Facilities/Conference/NFL Potential are all next to them.

3. When Bo and Frank were fired, there was a lot of discombobulation between the AD and boosters and players. It's pretty well understood that it's behind us so it's a good situtation for anyone new. Shoot, Trev is letting Mickey make systemic changes. That speaks volumes. 

1. Urban Meyer - Won everywhere he has been in the college ranks. Bowling Green, Utah, Florida & Ohio St. Do many care that much he checked the oil? 

2. Matt Campbell - Was a home run hire at Iowa St. Did well at Toledo and sets the standard of a good culture and I think his offensive style would fit the B10 well. The defense has also been solid but they also run a 3-3-5. I am not entirely sure he would accept the job though being many tried offering him the past couple years. 

3. Chris Petersen - This is who I wanted to hire after Pelini. We all know what he did at Boise St but it gets overlooked that he made the CFB playoff at Washington in year 3. Not sure where his head is at since he isn't coaching currently but I would be okay if he was the guy. Had b2b 10+ wins for the first time in 25 years at Washington. 

4. Mickey Joseph - Even if he doesn't get the HC gig I really hope he is retained as WR coach at minimum. He doesn't take BS (something imo that this team has missed over the past 2 hires). Former Husker which idc about anymore but the kids respect him big time. He is also a major recruiter. I think he has a legit chance, but many fans would be like oh another former player here we go. Brother also has been a HC in the NFL and current DC - connections. 

24 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

I feel the same grim pessimism, but, one thing I note is that Trev left UNO a better overall athletics program than when he arrived. Yes, I know the football and wrestling thing was rough for the emotions, but, at least it shows decisiveness.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Don't forget he won a Fiesta Bowl at Iowa F'n State.

He is 2 years removed from that. Do you honestly feel that he can draw national recruits in with his name? For me if Nebraska were to hire him then you are looking at a developmental coach imho. Nebraska doesn't need a developmental coach they need to win now. A coach that win turn it around asap and at the same time draw recruits to Nebraska. Trev wants a grinder. Also alot of you are going to say given the resources here he could make a hugh difference but that was the same argument like Mike Riley(yes I know Mike shouldn't have been considered with his record but the thought process behind it was give him more resources and he will be successful) you know how that turned out so please don't use that more resources will bring him success.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Short Side Option - Herbie's Hangout - Coaching Candidates

I always hesitated to speculate on who we would get if we fired Frost. It just seemed odd to talk about since I knew multiple people working in Lincoln and wanted them to succeed. Alberts pulled the rip cord yesterday earlier than I thought he would, but losing to Northwestern first game, tied at halftime and deep into the 3rd with an FCS team, then losing at home to a Go5 team you paid 1.4 million to come to town basically forced his hand. Further, if he thought it was time to go, he couldn’t wait until Oct 1 and possibly make a move after a win if against Indiana (massive speculation there on winning).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

If Mickey Joseph turns it around or at the very least makes it respectable then he should be first. I want to be clear on that but in no way do I think Nebraska can turn it around if Erik Chinander is still the defensive coordinator or if we are running a 3-4 defense. We need national respected coaches at every position instead of inexperienced learn on the fly guys. Experience does help in so many ways. If you are going to say Nebraska can't draw national coaches here that's garbage Nebraska has money and money talks!!!! Nebraska has chosen not to go that route and we as Husker fans have suffered for that chose bc of being cheap. I want to see what Mickey Joseph does and what changes he is going to do. That will tell me enough.