Who should our next HC be?

A coach that’s worth consideration in my opinion if he'd be interested would be Jeff Grimes. 

Grimes has a wealth of experience. Knows the importance of having a strong 0-line. Has leadership credentials. He would fit Nebraska's culture. His scheme involves a great deal of physicality that would work well in the Big 10. He values disciplined play and would put emphasis on developing players.

He'd bring some recruiting advantages in Texas and the south. It seems that he would be able to assemble a group of competent assistants. Plus, he's a humble, likable guy that relates well with people.  

Jeff is definitely one of the long shots for head coach though has a broad range of appealing qualities. 

I've been experiencing some technical challenges today...I'm sorry if I've made a duplicate entry somewhere here. :)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He is 2 years removed from that. Do you honestly feel that he can draw national recruits in with his name? For me if Nebraska were to hire him then you are looking at a developmental coach imho. Nebraska doesn't need a developmental coach they need to win now. A coach that win turn it around asap and at the same time draw recruits to Nebraska. Trev wants a grinder. Also alot of you are going to say given the resources here he could make a hugh difference but that was the same argument like Mike Riley(yes I know Mike shouldn't have been considered with his record but the thought process behind it was give him more resources and he will be successful) you know how that turned out so please don't use that more resources will bring him success.

I want to give a defense of Matt Campbell. Do I think he is a surefire thing? No. There's no such thing.

But let's look at Iowa State's history, which is FAR worse than Oregon State's:

Currently, the winningest all-time coach is Dan McCarney. In 12 years he went 56-85.

That's a winning percentage of .397.

Matt Campbell has a record of 44-34 in 6 years. Campbell has a winning percentage of .560

Here's the list of guys before Campbell going back to 1973 (excluding guys who coached like 1 or 2 games):

Rhoads: .368

Chizik: .208

McCarney: .397

Walden: .335

Criner: .405

Duncan: .432

Bruce: .529

Now Bruce is Earle Bruce. Earle Bruce went on to coach Ohio State and is in the Hall of Fame.

You have to go back to Charles Mayser to find a coach of Iowa State with a better winning percentage than Campbell.

Charles Mayser coached Iowa State from 1915-1919.

EDIT: I want to clarify, I'm not saying Campbell is going to be a Hall of Fame coach. Just that I think his hiring would be very defensible considering what he's done with where he's been.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Dave Doeren said to be one that we have a lot of interest in.

He must be an amazing head coach if he can do that good of a job overcoming such a handicap as having Tim Beck as his Offensive Coordinator.

He didn't flat out deny any interest in the Nebraska job when asked about it

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Dave Doeren said to be one that we have a lot of interest in.

He must be an amazing head coach if he can do that good of a job overcoming such a handicap as having Tim Beck as his Offensive Coordinator.

He’s done a nice job at NC State but could he recruit to Nebraska and then develop said recruits? That’s got to be a must on our next HC. Lots of guys are successful in the south but struggle in the Midwest where talent isn’t as abundant 

17 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

My only concern w/ Rhule is that he never beat a ranked team while with Baylor. Kiffin's not coming. Meyer would be my #1 choice. I thought O'Brien would be ok but after watching his playcalling against Texas I'm not so sure.

Did you see how many balls the wide open Alabama receivers dropped?  That's not on O'Brien.  Seems like his 2021 numbers at Alabama should be considered as well.     

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

An offensive coordinator that is worth consideration in my opinion if he'd be interested would be Jeff Grimes. 

Grimes has a wealth of experience. Knows the importance of having a strong 0-line. Has leadership credentials. He would fit Nebraska's culture. His scheme involves a great deal of physicality that would work well in the Big 10. He values disciplined play and would put emphasis on developing players.

He'd bring some recruiting advantages in Texas and the south. It seems that he would be able to assemble a group of competent assistants. Plus, he's a humble, likable guy that relates well with people.  

Jeff is definitely one of the long shots though has a broad range of appealing qualities. 

I've been experiencing some technical challenges today...I'm sorry if I've made a duplicate entry somewhere here. :)

Why are we considering different offensive coordinators when we currently have a pretty damn good one already:dunno

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why are we considering different offensive coordinators when we currently have a pretty damn good one already:dunno

Because a new coach has an opportunity to bring in his offensive identity. Should Whipple be considered, you bet. But Trev won't hamstring the new coach by saying you have to keep Whipple, or Joseph for that matter. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Because a new coach has an opportunity to bring in his offensive identity. Should Whipple be considered, you bet. But Trev won't hamstring the new coach by saying you have to keep Whipple, or Joseph for that matter. 

That "new identity" has to begin with pretty much the very same players.  We went through all this after Riley turned the team into basically just guys wanting to get out of class and dance to the stadium sound system’s Oo-Poop-Ah-Doo no matter the score.  Old former players were appalled at the lack of discipline and drive.  It is apparently better now, but the new coach is still up against a monumental task of culture development.  Can that be done and if so over what period of time?  

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m sorry. We do have a good OC currently!

I wasn’t clear. What I intended to suggest is that Mr. Grimes meets a number of criteria (In my opinion) to potentially be considered for head coach were he interested in the position. 

• Plus1 1