Who should our next HC be?

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why everyone is down on Campbell. He took Toledo to being a 9 win program.  He took ISU to be a 9 win program.  Both programs that haven't done anything ever.

I think most of us would be good with Campbell if he’s the guy.  I think whoever it ends up being, it won’t match the enthusiasm of 2018.  Maybe that’s it. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I think most of us would be good with Campbell if he’s the guy.  I think whoever it ends up being, it won’t match the enthusiasm of 2018.  Maybe that’s it. 

That's what is going on.  It's a wide-open coaching search for the first time in a LONG time.  In 2017, all our eggs in Scott's basket so once we knew he was coming about, 99% of the fans were thrilled.

Now that there are one of 10-20 candidates of who the next coach will be, so different people are going to look for ways to pick every candidate apart, especially since a new coach won't be named until after Thanksgiving.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I honestly do not know of a coach that is going to create that much excitement.  I envision getting a coach that has either done well at a group of five school or a typically bad P5 school.  None of those will have lead a team to the FBS playoffs or won an FBS NC. 

There will have to be at least some faith that he can take a step up in results being at Nebraska with our resources.

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why everyone is down on Campbell. He took Toledo to being a 9 win program.  He took ISU to be a 9 win program.  Both programs that haven't done anything ever.

He's been a HC in the B1G footprint for 10+ years (aka he has recruiting connections in the midwest).  He has a background as an OL coach before becoming HC.  42 years old.  Has a 4 star #10 QB commit he could bring along.

He would have to rework his defense as I don't think the 3-3-5 will work in the B1G.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The pressure now is on Trev's lap and I think he knows if he could hire Urban Meyer type coach that even if it fails he is safe. Get someone where we more so hope will work and it doesn't then Trev is on the line. 

If the new coach doesn't work out, then Trev won't be around to hire another one.  That's how the college world works.  Very few ADs get to make 2nd coaching hire if the first is let go.

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, Fru said:

It’s mainly his record against Iowa for me. 1-6, with the only win being this year where Iowa has a monstrously inept offense. 

That’s not to say that beating Iowa is the end all be all, but I’d say right now it’s a pretty solid benchmark of where we need to be in order to compete for the West. We’ve had two coaches now that haven’t been able to do it, why go for a third that has already demonstrated he’s mostly incapable of doing so?

Campbell also feels like one of those “He just needs better resources” guys. That’s not a path I want to go down again. 

If Campbell ends up being the guy, I could maybe get on board if he surrounds himself with great coordinators. Otherwise, I think Trev should aim higher. 

Campbell originally didn't move the needle for me either.

The only real defense I have of him, for the 1-6 vs Iowa record, is that this is probably the best 10 year stretch Iowa has ever had.

I know we want to be better than Iowa and I despise them as much as the next fan. They have won at a consistently high level since 2013. Almost as good and as consistently as Pelini did with Nebraska, Iowa had more bounce (12 win season/ 7 win season) but less blowouts.

Point being- Iowa was no slouch- This isn't Michigan beating Ohio State- this was much more like Oregon State beating Oregon.

Not sure what you guys see in Jamey Chadwell that gives you hope that he can step into a P5 office and run it effectively. He's coached at:

- East Tennessee State

- Charleston Southern 

- North Greenville

- Delta State

- Coastal Carolina

His record as CC HC without Grayson McCall, one of the most efficient QBs in the last decade is 13-23.

He's played ONE (1) P5 team his entire time at CCU aside from Kansas, BYU, which was scheduled five days in advance and played at home. If you think his scheme would work in the Big Ten, go see what the BYU defense did against him with five days to prepare. 

Everything I've heard and observed about Frost's failure is that he was inexperienced and didn't have the attention to detail to be a great P5 coach. This seems like it would be a complete disaster in the exact same way. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but the empirical data doesn't exist. Maybe a comp if someone has one?

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, nupowr said:

Coaches are important but we need to get some horses in here on the OL and DL.  It is amazing how good a coach looks when youve got 5 or 6 Shields, Suhs, Paces, Sapps hanging around.  We have 2 awesome backs now, need to protect them.

We've got horses if you go by 247 stars. We just haven't developed.

I'm hoping whoever we hire brings in Tim Polasek to coach the line. Guy made some monsters at Iowa and he's probably going to be looking for a new job this offseason

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Now that there are one of 10-20 candidates of who the next coach will be, so different people are going to look for ways to pick every candidate apart, especially since a new coach won't be named until after Thanksgiving.

I wonder if it has to be Thanksgiving.  Seems that would still be too close to the early signing day.   If it is someone not coaching now, (one of those long shot big names), then it could be announced sooner.  Even if it is an existing coach, like Campbell, he may want to get on the recruiting trail to help his tenure at NU to get off on the right track.  He becomes loyal to NU and ISU will have to fill the void behind him.