Who should our next HC be?

I'm not going to dig through the thread but has anyone talked about Shawn Clark the HC at App State?  I know he's at his alma mater but App State is one of the gold standards in terms of how to build a program at the G5 level.  They've churned out a couple of solid P5 coaches in the Louisville coach and the Mizzou guy.  App State is always extremely well coached and because App State can't recruit at a super high level, they are dynamite in terms of developing and identifying talent.  He's been the HC since 2019 and has gone 9-3, 10-4 and is currently 1-1 this year after knocking off A&M.  

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm not going to dig through the thread but has anyone talked about Shawn Clark the HC at App State?  I know he's at his alma mater but App State is one of the gold standards in terms of how to build a program at the G5 level.  They've churned out a couple of solid P5 coaches in the Louisville coach and the Mizzou guy.  App State is always extremely well coached and because App State can't recruit at a super high level, they are dynamite in terms of developing and identifying talent.  He's been the HC since 2019 and has gone 9-3, 10-4 and is currently 1-1 this year after knocking off A&M.  

The highlights in various articles are his production in developing the OL.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/shawn-clark/1145

"Overseeing talented, hard-working offensive lines, he followed a December 2018 coaching change involving college teammate Scott Satterfield’s departure for Louisville by excelling as an aggressive offensive play-caller in a 45-13 bowl victory against Middle Tennessee. With valuable experience at his disposal, Clark was promoted to assistant head coach before the 2019 season with Eliah Drinkwitz in his first year as a college head coach.

In each of Clark’s four seasons coaching App State’s offensive line, with the Mountaineers earning four straight Sun Belt Conference titles while compiling a 43-10 record in that span, the line ranked in the top 25 nationally in both rushing yards per game and fewest sacks allowed. The unit was recognized by the Joe Moore Award as one of the nation’s top 15 offensive lines in 2018 and 2019, and all five starters on the 2019 line received All-Sun Belt Conference recognition."

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm sure he's a fine coach but there are about 10 other candidates equally qualified. It concerns me that Drinkwitz and Satterfield are both on the hot seat themselves.

2 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

Not sure what you guys see in Jamey Chadwell that gives you hope that he can step into a P5 office and run it effectively. He's coached at:

- East Tennessee State

- Charleston Southern 

- North Greenville

- Delta State

- Coastal Carolina

His record as CC HC without Grayson McCall, one of the most efficient QBs in the last decade is 13-23.

He's played ONE (1) P5 team his entire time at CCU aside from Kansas, BYU, which was scheduled five days in advance and played at home. If you think his scheme would work in the Big Ten, go see what the BYU defense did against him with five days to prepare. 

Everything I've heard and observed about Frost's failure is that he was inexperienced and didn't have the attention to detail to be a great P5 coach. This seems like it would be a complete disaster in the exact same way. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but the empirical data doesn't exist. Maybe a comp if someone has one?

Coastal beat BYU and they had Zach Wilson NFL #2 pick......  BYU also beat us.....I do think he'd need to get a SOLID DC.   Chadwell is definitely a risk based upon being in G5, but we have lost to two G5 schools under Frost.  Maybe 3.  His first year was 3-9 then 5-7 then 11-1 then 11-2 and now 2-0....He recruited guys, developed them, implemented his culture and doing well.  His first season was the first in the Sunbelt Conference moving from Division 2 Big South Conference.  The division 2 when they move up (IIRC) have less schollies than the 85 of FBS schools.  So each year in the FBS he adjusted and improved.  App St had some hiccups when they moved up and are now banging with ranked teams.  I wouldn't want to play App St.....

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Look at App St's coaching history.  They have been a solid program in FCS and now FBS.  As you mentioned, they develop the hell out of their kids and punch well above their star power.  They get incredibly good at the basics that win games.  I do not think he'd leave his alma mater,  but I'd look at some of his staff.  Boone is an awesome college town.  Beautiful little city.  But it's not Lincoln.  In their big run in the FCS, they were HEAVILY influenced by TO's offense and our S&C....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Coastal beat BYU.  BYU also beat us..... Chadwell is definitely a risk based upon being in G5, but we have lost to two G5 schools under Frost.  Maybe 3.  His first year was 3-9 then 5-7 then 11-1 then 11-2 and now 2-0....He recruited guys, developed them, implemented his culture and doing well.  His first season was the first in the Sunbelt Conference moving from Division 2 Big South Conference.  The division 2 when they move up (IIRC) have less schollies than the 85 of FBS schools.  So each year in the FBS he adjusted and improved.  App St had some hiccups when they moved up and are now banging with ranked teams.  I wouldn't want to play App St.....

BYU beat us a decade ago when both programs had different coaches, that's a terrible comp and means nothing.

Coastal beat BYU with four days notice at home at the end of the weirdest season in CFB history. That win doesn't really impress me given context.

They weren't division 2, they were FCS. There is very little, if any, difference between your average sun belt team and good FCS team. 

Grayson McCall is a really good quarterback. I have to give him some credit for scheming him well, but they haven't played anyone in the P5 that's had a week to prepare for it aside from Kansas. BYU did pretty well to shut it down with four days to prepare. There's zero proof that it works against a defense he'd play here with time to prepare.

Seems like fools gold to me.