Who should our next HC be?

18 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've heard the "better resources" spiel before. Like I said, I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. And no, I wouldn't want a coach that's 44-34. That record sucks. Have some high expectations, for God's sake. Some of you seem willing to accept anyone better than Frost... and that encompasses pretty much every coach in America.

Indeed, Matt Rhule? Very mediocre coach. After all his record at Temple was 28-23, and at Baylor was 19-20. 47-43, clearly a very mediocre coach.

Just to note though:

At Temple

2013: 2-10

2014: 6-6

2015: 10-4

2016: 10-3

At Baylor

2017: 1-11

2018: 7-6

2019: 11-3

Yes, Matt Campbell's record has more of a consistent position than a trend upwards. Again, I am not saying "This guy will undoubtedly win us 11 games regularly" that's impossible to predict. My point is that overall record can be misleading.

Additionally, because people think of Riley, Riley was already in his 60s when we hired him, his style was already outdated. I don't think Matt Campbell and Mike Riley are comparable at all. Especially when you consider that Mike Riley arrived in 1997, went 3-8 and then 5-6, then went to the NFL and Dennis Erickson took over.

Dennis Erickson stocked the cupboards for Mike Riley, who returned in 2003 started out well, then steadily declined.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

Indeed, Matt Rhule? Very mediocre coach. After all his record at Temple was 28-23, and at Baylor was 19-20. 47-43, clearly a very mediocre coach.

Just to note though:

At Temple

2013: 2-10

2014: 6-6

2015: 10-4

2016: 10-3

At Baylor

2017: 1-11

2018: 7-6

2019: 11-3

You've gotta really look at the big picture in regards to Rhule. His team's records improved every season during his tenure. The turnarounds at both of those schools were remarkable.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You've gotta really look at the big picture in regards to Rhule. His team's records improved every season during his tenure. The turnarounds at both of those schools were remarkable.

Fair. To be sure, I would prefer Rhule over everyone (which is why I am rooting hard against the Panthers this season)

I will grant your concerns. I just don't think Campbell is comparable to Riley, as I noted above (with an edit to be fair to you, you could not have responded) Riley had the benefit at Oregon State of Dennis Erickson setting him up for success. Campbell didn't have that.

Mark Stoops: "It’s been a great ride and we’ve had a lot of good coaches, a lot of good players,” Stoops said. “(The caller) was the first one that had to open Pandora’s box this year and start talking about another job [laughs].  I’m very content and very happy at the University of Kentucky. We have a lot more work to do here.”

take that for what's it's worth

1 minute ago, presidentjlh said:

Fair. To be sure, I would prefer Rhule over everyone (which is why I am rooting hard against the Panthers this season)

I will grant your concerns. I just don't think Campbell is comparable to Riley, as I noted above (with an edit to be fair to you, you could not have responded) Riley had the benefit at Oregon State of Dennis Erickson setting him up for success. Campbell didn't have that.

if Rhule is let go by the Panthers he's got to be near the top of the list

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I will give him credit but do you honestly want a coach that it's going to take 3 or 4 years to steadily improve? That goes for any coach.

Even for great coaches, one year turnarounds are not the rule. If we can do it, great, but no, I say the reasonable path is to give a coach 3-4 years. As long as there's improvement or we reach a level where I'd say we are again a nationally competitive and respectable program with regular conference title aspirations and even on occasion playoff aspirations, I am fine with them.

For example, with Frost's first year, I was actually quite pleased by the end. Yes, the start was horrific, but then in the last six games, we went 4-2 and were competitive with Ohio State and Iowa. I figured: "Ok, I am seeing improvement, this is good, we are on track."

Sadly that was the apex, not the nadir.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

if Rhule is let go by the Panthers he's got to be near the top of the list

I'd take him in a heartbeat, he's my #1 if he's available.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I will give him credit but do you honestly want a coach that it's going to take 3 or 4 years to steadily improve? That goes for any coach.

Holy s#!t dude, do you honestly believe anyone can do better??? We have zero depth across any position of importance and haven't recruited high schools well since Frost was hired. This is a total rebuild.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

I'm sure he's a fine coach but there are about 10 other candidates equally qualified. It concerns me that Drinkwitz and Satterfield are both on the hot seat themselves.

I'm not sure what Drinkwitz or Satterfield being on the hot seat has to do with Clark as let's be honest it's all a slot machine pull when it comes to G5 coaches.  My point when I mentioned those other guys was they they have experience in a system that was built up by Jerry Moore who is a FCS legend so they've at least learned how to do things the right way.  I do think it's a moot point as pulling Clark away from App State where he was an AA lineman will be extremely tough.  I could see him maybe leaving for a school like WVU if it popped open.

3 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

@ColoradoHusk  @HuskerNation1

DeBoer is still an option IMO. Personally I think he's a great one. A bit of a slim resume and the contract probably makes it tough but I really like him as a coach and as a fit for Nebraska. I think he would be coaching right now if we'd pulled the trigger at the end of last year.

His contract was 5 years, 16.5M so I am assuming after this season he still has $13M (roughly) coming.  He has a resume like Jim Tressel and I think will do well at any P5 school given a couple years of time and talent.  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

This job isn't a full rebuild so don't give me this crap that its going to take that long to rebuild the team. Its like a merry go round keeps going around meaning next coach gets 3-4 years and the next coach gets 3-4 years. Thats crap there are coaches that can win now. The question is how much could they win? I believe any great coach that Nebraska hires will win between 7-9 wins his first year and not be in the negative. This is a critical time for Husker nation and the next hire has to be right otherwise we will fall further away from the Iowa State or Kansas's. Teams that in no way should be good but overall are better then Nebraska right now which pains me to say but we did this to ourselves by not hiring the best candidate possible, not going out and spending money when we should have. Nebraska got passed up.

• Haha 2