Who should our next HC be?

13 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

This job isn't a full rebuild so don't give me this crap that its going to take that long to rebuild the team. Its like a merry go round keeps going around meaning next coach gets 3-4 years and the next coach gets 3-4 years. Thats crap there are coaches that can win now. The question is how much could they win? I believe any great coach that Nebraska hires will win between 7-9 wins his first year and not be in the negative. This is a critical time for Husker nation and the next hire has to be right otherwise we will fall further away from the Iowa State or Kansas's. Teams that in no way should be good but overall are better then Nebraska right now which pains me to say but we did this to ourselves by not hiring the best candidate possible, not going out and spending money when we should have. Nebraska got passed up.

We are coming off a 3-9 season (regardless of the statistically anomalous nature of that record) and are 1-2 in three games against opponents we were all favored by double digits over. Unless Mickey Joseph turns out to be a prodigy, I am guessing this season will result in a similarly abysmal record to last year. I would love if a coach could come in here and win 9 games the first season, but that is simply not realistic as a hard expectation for year one. If you told me I had to choose between a coach who will lead us to 7 wins the first season but plateau at 9 wins, or a coach who will have a losing season but in three years will lead us to 11-1, a conference title, and a spot in the playoffs, I will take the latter in a heartbeat. I don't just want to have winning seasons. This program has the basic structure that it should be able to regularly compete for the division and the conference, and yes, I will say it, eventually compete here and there for playoff spots.

EDIT: And I will damn well refuse to hear anyone who says "Oh Nebraska can never compete at the level of Alabama or Ohio State again." No, I do not ever expect the mid 90s again, but you can win anywhere, and certainly you can become a nationally competitive program when your program, up until 20 years ago, was the winningest program of the past 30 years. (Not that I'm accusing you of this, Huskerfollower4life. Just venting at the naysayers who think it's impossible to win at Nebraska now for some inexplicable reason, like we somehow magically became less easy to recruit to or win at instead of it being a problem that can be solved.)

• Plus1 1

Here's the "master list" I've compiled so far...

Urban Meyer

Troy Calhoun

Bill O’Brien

Mickey Joseph

Bob Stoops

Mark Stoops

Tom Herman

Luke Fickell

Dave Doeren

Jamey Chadwell

Todd Monken

Craig Bohl

Matt Rhule

Jeff Monken

Lane Kiffin

Jim Leonhard

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Lance Leipold

Chris Klieman

Dave Clawson

Sam Pittman

Alex Grinch

Bret Bielema

Kyle Whittingham

Mike Gundy

Dave Aranda

Deion Sanders

Matt Entz

Dana Holgorsen

Pete Golding

Brent Vigen

Curt Cignetti

Shawn Clark

17 minutes ago, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

Keep Mick and Whipple and give Phil Parker a shot at HC

Got family that are Iowa fans so I follow them pretty closely. Parker doesn't want to be a HC. He's had multiple offers (Big Ten, MAC, ACC) schools and never entertained it. His dad Norm was Iowa's DC from '99-2011. Some guys are just happy with their jobs.

Levar Woods will be a fantastic HC when he decides to leave (which could be as soon as this year). I'd like to see him as one before we hired him but he has a bright future.

1 hour ago, presidentjlh said:

We are coming off a 3-9 season (regardless of the statistically anomalous nature of that record) and are 1-2 in three games against opponents we were all favored by double digits over. Unless Mickey Joseph turns out to be a prodigy, I am guessing this season will result in a similarly abysmal record to last year. I would love if a coach could come in here and win 9 games the first season, but that is simply not realistic as a hard expectation for year one. If you told me I had to choose between a coach who will lead us to 7 wins the first season but plateau at 9 wins, or a coach who will have a losing season but in three years will lead us to 11-1, a conference title, and a spot in the playoffs, I will take the latter in a heartbeat. I don't just want to have winning seasons. This program has the basic structure that it should be able to regularly compete for the division and the conference, and yes, I will say it, eventually compete here and there for playoff spots.

EDIT: And I will damn well refuse to hear anyone who says "Oh Nebraska can never compete at the level of Alabama or Ohio State again." No, I do not ever expect the mid 90s again, but you can win anywhere, and certainly you can become a nationally competitive program when your program, up until 20 years ago, was the winningest program of the past 30 years. (Not that I'm accusing you of this, Huskerfollower4life. Just venting at the naysayers who think it's impossible to win at Nebraska now for some inexplicable reason, like we somehow magically became less easy to recruit to or win at instead of it being a problem that can be solved.)

Until you can't.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I HATE forcing the new coach to retain current coaches.  It's not practical.  A good coach will be able to replace talent who transfer, and talented players will want to play for good coaches, especially if they have a history of getting guys to the NFL.

If you are going to go spend big bucks on a HC, you let him pick his assistants.  You can suggest keeping certain coaches, but ultimately, he needs to know the decision is his.

If Joseph proves to be able to salvage something respectable out of this season.  And, if he amazingly would make it to a bowl game and the team is motivated, playing well and not making stupid bone headed mistakes.....keeping the offensive staff in place is an argument for keeping Joseph as HC.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

His contract was 5 years, 16.5M so I am assuming after this season he still has $13M (roughly) coming.  He has a resume like Jim Tressel and I think will do well at any P5 school given a couple years of time and talent.  

Hard to argue with DeBoer's coaching record.  H wasn't on my radar but dang, pretty impressive.  81-9 all time as a college head coach!