Who should our next HC be?

34 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Hard to argue with DeBoer's coaching record.  H wasn't on my radar but dang, pretty impressive.  81-9 all time as a college head coach!

Good test for him this week with Sparty rolling into Seattle.  UW is my other team so selfishly, I'd like to see him stay put after how badly the Jimmy Lake experience went.

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Husker said:

I haven't read all 80 pages of this forum so I apologize if this has been asked, But what is all the hype around Matt Campbell? Record wise he is barely over .500 did I miss something 

Read all 80 pages and you will see the pluses and minuses of him.

And last I checked 79-49 is not “barely over .500”.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Read all 80 pages and you will see the pluses and minuses of him.

And last I checked 79-49 is not “barely over .500”.

He's 44 - 34 outside the conf Toledo is in, whatever it is.  Not as bad as SF's record outside the conf he was in before the Big Ten, but a wrong direction hire if I ever saw one.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Good test for him this week with Sparty rolling into Seattle.  UW is my other team so selfishly, I'd like to see him stay put after how badly the Jimmy Lake experience went.

Agree that this will be a good test. I expect MSU to win, but if Washington is competitive it would be a good sign for Washington's new coach.

5 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

Frost isn't the coach anymore. That's a strawman argument.

It would have been hard for USC, let alone BYU to travel across the country at the end of the season and play an option team without practice or real film study. Defensively, they shut them down. That's not proof of concept.

Not a straw man as we are comparing Chadwell's potential success to Frost's.  Frost was a G5 and failed at NU.  He had success 1 out 2 years .  And a phenomenal 2nd year.  Chadwell has improved each spot he was at.  He's like 22-3 the past two years.  In a conference that has had two teams beat NU.  

His scheme works.  At least against G5 competition.  He did this 3 years into a move from a "lesser" division to a better one.  When you say it'd be hard for any school to travel on 5 days notice and play an option team without film study or practice, it does speak to a proof of concept.  As it does with his W-L record.  Again, this record is against G5 schools so it is not proof it would work in the B1G, but does work.  And running his version of the option, not like TO's, Army, Navy or AF, it would be new to the B1G.  How much practice do you think teams will/can dedicate to preparing for it.  Wouldn't be a lot of film initially.  

I understand your concerns and reservations.  It appears on paper to be Frost 2.0, but this version has run this system as a HC for years.  Not just 2.  I think he'd adjust his system to the B1G.  Maybe use a TE instead of two backs.  Use him as a H-back.  Then again, two back set if we can keep AA and AG could be pretty good.  I'd definitely give him a look.  See what his philosophy is.  

Going to be interesting to see who NU chooses/who chooses NU.  A lot of rumors the next few months for sure.

7 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

I'm sure he's a fine coach but there are about 10 other candidates equally qualified. It concerns me that Drinkwitz and Satterfield are both on the hot seat themselves.

Maybe it's a Boise State situation. Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins seemed great, then were mediocre at best at Arizona State and Colorado because Chris Petersen was actually the straw that stirred the drink behind the scenes. Maybe that's Shawn Clark.

Full disclosure, I couldn't name App State's coach when I work up this morning. So I'm not saying the two examples are the same.