Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

I am going to stick my neck out a little here. I think Trev has been working on something for months, and there are things guys on the current staff already know in terms of their future here at Nebraska. I think the coaches he wants have been vetted already and understand that they cannot bring their entire staff over and that we have guys in place for them, and they agreed to it. Joseph, Beckton, Applewhite (possibly Busch) are great recruiters and developers that any staff would love to have. No brainers if you will. If it is someone like Matt Campbell, I am sure he knows he cannot bring his entire staff over, and having those three makes it even easier to transition over. I think it was chess all along. 

You're not going to let Fidone walk

You're not going to let Ajay Allen leave 

You're not going to miss out on Omarion Miller, Barry Jackson, Jaydin Doss, and maybe Malachi Coleman and replace them with middle the pack WR recruits. 

These hires were never about Frost, and more so about the new guy and the future of Nebraska football, and I believe deep down, Frost knew it too. 

I like it.  And if the offense plays really well, scores points, etc,. then you have to consider keeping Whipple.  I think he is a good OC and helpful to other coaches and our players.  But we shall see how the offense goes the rest of the way.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I am going to stick my neck out a little here. I think Trev has been working on something for months, and there are things guys on the current staff already know in terms of their future here at Nebraska. I think the coaches he wants have been vetted already and understand that they cannot bring their entire staff over and that we have guys in place for them, and they agreed to it. Joseph, Beckton, Applewhite (possibly Busch) are great recruiters and developers that any staff would love to have. No brainers if you will. If it is someone like Matt Campbell, I am sure he knows he cannot bring his entire staff over, and having those three makes it even easier to transition over. I think it was chess all along. 

Possibly a game of renju! 

That would definitely be advantageous if those coaches were to remain. We really need a solid staff across the board. Usually established head coaches bring along most if not all their assistants where loyalties sometimes cause issues. Ha haa...It's like soup. It only takes one wrong ingredient to spoil the whole kettle. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, admo said:

I like it.  And if the offense plays really well, scores points, etc,. then you have to consider keeping Whipple.  I think he is a good OC and helpful to other coaches and our players.  But we shall see how the offense goes the rest of the way.

Why do you like an AD forcing a new head coach to take on a current staff of offensive coaches? It’s such a terrible idea. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I agree, bad way to start a tenure as a micro manager.  Would be a very Nebraska thing to do.

It just doesn’t make any sense. A good head coach candidate should have an idea of what his staff at NU would look like, with the idea of competing in the Big Ten.

Also, I think one of the biggest issues with Frost’s and Riley’s teams is that the offense and defense didn’t play complementary football. The 2 units didn’t seem to fit together. Now, we want to force on an offensive unit onto a new head coach, not knowing what type of defensive style the head coach prefers?  It just makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It just doesn’t make any sense. A good head coach candidate should have an idea of what his staff at NU would look like, with the idea of competing in the Big Ten.

Also, I think one of the biggest issues with Frost’s and Riley’s teams is that the offense and defense didn’t play complementary football. The 2 units didn’t seem to fit together. Now, we want to force on an offensive unit onto a new head coach, not knowing what type of defensive style the head coach prefers?  It just makes no sense whatsoever. 

It just speaks to the meddling that has gone on around here for 25 years. TO started it all when he hand picked his successesor who shouldn't have gotten the job. If he stays out of it, and Bob Stoops was hired as planned, we might have still been good this entire time!

Good organizations and managers hire good people, and trust them to do their jobs.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you like an AD forcing a new head coach to take on a current staff of offensive coaches? It’s such a terrible idea. 

It’s possible that the incoming coach is (would be) interested and wants to of his own choosing. That’s not to suggest that it has or will happen. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, M.A. said:

It’s possible that the incoming coach is interested and wants to of his own choosing. 

You really think the new coach, who would have had to have had this discussion with Trev back in January ish, agreed to have Nebraska hire these guys to work with Frost for one year while they continued working elsewhere knowing they would then come in and then keep these guys on staff?   :lol:

That sounds like the level of coordination required to fake the moon landing and keep it a secret.  #conspiracytheorythursday

• Plus1 1
Just now, runningblind said:

You really think the new coach, who would have had to have had this discussion with Trev back in January ish, agreed to have Nebraska hire these guys to work with Frost for one year while they continued working elsewhere knowing they would then come in and then keep these guys on staff?   :lol:

That sounds like the level of coordination required to fake the moon landing and keep it a secret.  #conspiracytheorythursday

That wasn’t what was being suggested. I’ll edit for clarification. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Good organizations and managers hire good people, and trust them to do their jobs.

In this week's Pick 6 Podcast from the OWH, Sam McKewon has some great points about Trev (and the rest of the football program and fans) need to allow the next head coach (whomever he is) to do things the way that new coach sees fit.  That includes doing things a lot different than what has been done traditionally.

Items which should be open to change:  1) the walk-on program (why carry 60-70 additional guys if only 5-10 of them are going to play on Saturdays)  2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?)  3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

There are other items which Sam mentioned, but I can't remember them off-hand.  The football program has been meddling for the past 20 years.  Maybe we should trust a new coach to let run the organization as he sees fit.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
30 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It just speaks to the meddling that has gone on around here for 25 years. TO started it all when he hand picked his successesor who shouldn't have gotten the job. If he stays out of it, and Bob Stoops was hired as planned, we might have still been good this entire time!

That’s true about organizations and managers. I think that there has been a fair share of meddling and attempted meddling. Even by former players. I referred to financial influences yesterday.  If the person can’t be trusted to do the job, then they probably shouldn’t be there. 

I don’t think an athletic director should force their hand dictating what should/will be done.  Lol Suppose that would happen to Nick Saban (It won’t). He’d probably think, what the hell have I been doing all these years.

Hire people having competency. Respect their judgment. 

• Plus1 1