Who should our next HC be?

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In this week's Pick 6 Podcast from the OWH, Sam McKewon has some great points about Trev (and the rest of the football program and fans) need to allow the next head coach (whomever he is) to do things the way that new coach sees fit.  That includes doing things a lot different than what has been done traditionally.

Items which should be open to change:  1) the walk-on program (why carry 60-70 additional guys if only 5-10 of them are going to play on Saturdays)  2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?)  3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

There are other items which Sam mentioned, but I can't remember them off-hand.  The football program has been meddling for the past 20 years.  Maybe we should trust a new coach to let run the organization as he sees fit.

It was a good listen, I recommend the whole podcast, but the last 20 minutes were very good.  They didn't talk much about candidates for the job (said that will be in future episodes).

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?)  3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

I think we tried this before and it didn't work out well, but hey let's give it the ol' college try again. At this point, what's it even matter. :bang

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In this week's Pick 6 Podcast from the OWH, Sam McKewon has some great points about Trev (and the rest of the football program and fans) need to allow the next head coach (whomever he is) to do things the way that new coach sees fit.  That includes doing things a lot different than what has been done traditionally.

Items which should be open to change:  1) the walk-on program (why carry 60-70 additional guys if only 5-10 of them are going to play on Saturdays)  2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?)  3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

There are other items which Sam mentioned, but I can't remember them off-hand.  The football program has been meddling for the past 20 years.  Maybe we should trust a new coach to let run the organization as he sees fit.

OMG YES.  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I dont think it would be that hard to find a coach who could at least get us back on track. Out of the last 4 coaches hired: Pelini had us winning an amount that we would all take right now, Riley was an absolute poor choice by a bad AD, Callahan the exact same, and Frost was the only one that looked good to everyone on paper but just wasn't it for whatever reason. I feel like even if we get someone who is the bottom coach on some people's list, Matt Campbell, can get us back to a solid bowl team pretty quickly and then we figure it out from there once we have stability and culture. If we had Eichorst still I would be worried but I just think even if Trev plays it safe he will not pick a Mike Riley Or Callahan who were both chosen after either not looking or not getting anyone we actually wanted.  Hell even Pederson almost got us Mike Zimmer who would have been a slam dunk, and I seriously doubt we are gonna get outbid on our #1 choice this time. 

Yeah but the question is who that #1 choice is. It will quite possibly be a guy that nobody else is interested in. If you're happy with 6-8 wins a year and just being average, then go ahead and hire a guy like Klieman/Campbell/Leipold. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Items which should be open to change:  1) the walk-on program (why carry 60-70 additional guys if only 5-10 of them are going to play on Saturdays) 

It's really understated how hard it is to develop and build relationships with your scholarship players when walk-ons get non-zero minutes in practice. Not saying it's the cause, but it's definitely contributed to attrition in some respect. 

Imagine being a 4* from Miami, it's cold, it's tough enough to adjust, and your coach is spending 15 minutes each practice helping Sammy from McCook work on his hand placement he's only going to use in the spring game. Doesn't seem like a serious way to approach development.

53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?) 

3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

Agreed. Not sure why everything needs to be a family reunion. Sure, pay homage and all but none of these guys (even Osborne) are ultimately accountable for the football product. It's unprofessional.

Maybe there's some idealism there as those guys have a lot of sway with fans and are good for PR, but I'm hoping they can be set straight and just let the next guy coach. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, M.A. said:

15 coaches who "could" be Nebraska's HC

Matt Campbell

Shawn Clark

Dave Aranda

Chris Klieman

Kalen DeBoer

Matt Entz

Luke Fickell 

Matt Rhule

Mickey Joseph 

Lance Leipold

Jim Leonhard 

Jeff Grimes

Mark Stoops 

Jamey Chadwell 

Charles Huff

Oh, there are way more than that...

Urban Meyer

Troy Calhoun

Bill O’Brien

Mickey Joseph

Bob Stoops

Mark Stoops

Tom Herman

Luke Fickell

Dave Doeren

Jamey Chadwell

Todd Monken

Craig Bohl

Matt Rhule

Jeff Monken

Lane Kiffin

Jim Leonhard

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Lance Leipold

Chris Klieman

Dave Clawson

Sam Pittman

Alex Grinch

Bret Bielema

Kyle Whittingham

Mike Gundy

Dave Aranda

Deion Sanders

Matt Entz

Dana Holgorsen

Pete Golding

Brent Vigen

Curt Cignetti

Shawn Clark

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

It's really understated how hard it is to develop and build relationships with your scholarship players when walk-ons get non-zero minutes in practice. Not saying it's the cause, but it's definitely contributed to attrition in some respect. 

Imagine being a 4* from Miami, it's cold, it's tough enough to adjust, and your coach is spending 15 minutes each practice helping Sammy from McCook work on his hand placement he's only going to use in the spring game. Doesn't seem like a serious way to approach development.

Great points!  I think there is a place for the walk-on program, but it needs to be used strategically and more manageable in numbers.  It doesn't need to be 60-70+ players just to appease some historical thinking of "that's how it was done when NU was at our peak, it should be that way now".  Of course, whenever someone tries to better manage the walk-on program, the message is "Coach X is killing the walk-on program!!!!"

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Great points!  I think there is a place for the walk-on program, but it needs to be used strategically and more manageable in numbers.  It doesn't need to be 60-70+ players just to appease some historical thinking of "that's how it was done when NU was at our peak, it should be that way now".  Of course, whenever someone tries to better manage the walk-on program, the message is "Coach X is killing the walk-on program!!!!"

Thanks. Obviously walk-ons are an important depth piece and great for ethos, but there are so many hours available for development and technique.

It's pretty obvious that this was an area that killed Frost's staff.

• Fire 1

38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Oh, there are way more than that...

Urban Meyer

Troy Calhoun

Bill O’Brien

Mickey Joseph

Bob Stoops

Mark Stoops

Tom Herman

Luke Fickell

Dave Doeren

Jamey Chadwell

Todd Monken

Craig Bohl

Matt Rhule

Jeff Monken

Lane Kiffin

Jim Leonhard

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Lance Leipold

Chris Klieman

Dave Clawson

Sam Pittman

Alex Grinch

Bret Bielema

Kyle Whittingham

Mike Gundy

Dave Aranda

Deion Sanders

Matt Entz

Dana Holgorsen

Pete Golding

Brent Vigen

Curt Cignetti

Shawn Clark

No doubt. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The more I hear from supposed "insiders" about who TA's top targets are, the more I hope that Mickey Joseph is successful. At least he can recruit and has connections to solid coordinators.

The only problem with that is history has proven time and time again hiring the interim coach isn’t the answer either. 

Dabo is a once in a lifetime story.