Who should our next HC be?

Dennis Dodd reporting today that Urban is extremely unlikely. Urban is the only guy I'd say has a shot that we'd have the luxury of making a swift hire on, so if it were happening there would probably be more smoke. Brendan Stai's pretty involved with the program from a fundraising aspect and he's in concurrence. There's nobody to compete with at the moment (Auburn still has a coach, ND still has a coach) so it's useless to muck up the process with press. No need to obfuscate things like we'd have to typically, especially if you work in fundraising.

Obviously the guy will be on campus this weekend so if it was going to happen, every day after Monday makes it less and less likely. Trev/someone will certainly have some type of dialogue with him while he's in town. Would be interested to see if he joins Reggie and Leinhart for dinner.

All facts and reporting aside, imagine the scene if he announced it himself on big noon. Lol

• Oh Yeah! 1
23 minutes ago, GSG said:

This article from December 2021 says no, he does not have an agent 

https://247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dame-coaching-search-Matt-Campbell-interested-176940689/

That's what I thought. I love this guy more and more with every tidbit. He seems like what Frost wanted to be. Will be be afforded the same solitude in Lincoln? Probably not, but worth a shot. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Dennis Dodd reporting today that Urban is extremely unlikely. Urban is the only guy I'd say has a shot that we'd have the luxury of making a swift hire on, so if it were happening there would probably be more smoke. Brendan Stai's pretty involved with the program from a fundraising aspect and he's in concurrence. There's nobody to compete with at the moment (Auburn still has a coach, ND still has a coach) so it's useless to muck up the process with press. No need to obfuscate things like we'd have to typically, especially if you work in fundraising.

Obviously the guy will be on campus this weekend so if it was going to happen, every day after Monday makes it less and less likely. Trev/someone will certainly have some type of dialogue with him while he's in town. Would be interested to see if he joins Reggie and Leinhart for dinner.

All facts and reporting aside, imagine the scene if he announced it himself on big noon. Lol

I wonder if Chris Peterson is totally off the table as well??  Most likely.   Those are the 2 former coaches that aren't tied to a school now that would have an immediate impact.  So, now we go to that "everyone must be quiet until the end of season" mode.  Which leaves a lot of uncertainty when it comes to recruiting.  (Which is hard on some of us type A - got to get it done types :angry:) The early signing date almost forces Trev's hand to name MJ if he is even remotely successful in the remaining 9 games. Now, I think it would be outstanding if MJ can turn this around and become our version of Dabo Sweeney but I'm not sure that story will repeat itself here.  Perhaps Trev is in contact wt agents for other coaches - Mark Stoops, O'Brien, Aranda, KU & KSU coaches, or may an NFL guy :dunno  Only the fly on the wall knows.  

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if Chris Peterson is totally off the table as well??  Most likely.   Those are the 2 former coaches that aren't tied to a school now that would have an immediate impact.  So, now we go to that "everyone must be quiet until the end of season" mode.  Which leaves a lot of uncertainty when it comes to recruiting.  (Which is hard on some of us type A - got to get it done types :angry:) The early signing date almost forces Trev's hand to name MJ if he is even remotely successful in the remaining 9 games. Now, I think it would be outstanding if MJ can turn this around and become our version of Dabo Sweeney but I'm not sure that story will repeat itself here.  Perhaps Trev is in contact wt agents for other coaches - Mark Stoops, O'Brien, Aranda, KU & KSU coaches, or may an NFL guy :dunno  Only the fly on the wall knows.  

Peterson is off the table. Guy doesn't want to coach anymore and can take the Boise job whenever he wants to come back to coaching. There are guys that could win like him anyway.

Early signing period makes keeping Mickey around regardless a must. You don't keep coaches just to retain players obviously but you'd be pressed to find a better recruiting coordinator in the market. He's telling kids he'll be around, so I'm sure Trev has given him assurances. I don't see a candidate on any of these lists outside Stoops with his lifetime deal that would have someone comparable. Vince Marrow is who I'm referring to. Even then you could probably have them both on the same staff although one would lose their AHC title.

4 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Peterson is off the table. Guy doesn't want to coach anymore and can take the Boise job whenever he wants to come back to coaching. There are guys that could win like him anyway.

Early signing period makes keeping Mickey around regardless a must. You don't keep coaches just to retain players obviously but you'd be pressed to find a better recruiting coordinator in the market. He's telling kids he'll be around, so I'm sure Trev has given him assurances. I don't see a candidate on any of these lists outside Stoops with his lifetime deal that would have someone comparable. Vince Marrow is who I'm referring to. Even then you could probably have them both on the same staff although one would lose their AHC title.

Yes, I do hope we retain MJ regardless of who the new coach is.  Any coach would be wise to keep him.  He has proven his worth over and over again already.  

• Fire 1

Urban Meyer is the last person that should be under consideration.  Obviously, the guy has a tremendous resume.  More than that though, the guy has been exposed as world class douche canoe.  That is not ever something that Nebraska should settle for. 

I agree with those that say we need to let go of the past, I think that ended with Frost.  Time to put a proper modern spin on Husker Football.  There have been a lot of good candidates mentioned.  First things first, let's give Mickey Joseph an opportunity to put his stamp on it over the next few months and how the team responds.  

Let's just please end this fascination with Urban Meyer.  Heck, we could have just retained the last douche canoe we had as a coach, Pelini.  

GBR!  Let's shock the world this weekend!

SUPERBUNNY

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, SUPERBUNNY said:

Let's just please end this fascination with Urban Meyer.  Heck, we could have just retained the last douche canoe we had as a coach, Pelini.  

Well Sipple just confirmed a meeting with Urban is happening this weekend so I'm sorry to disappoint you. It's about to turn up to 10

• Haha 1

I don’t get the obsession with Campbell. What has he done except a little better than the average at ISU? Seems along the lines of another Riley and a cheaper option than we can afford or deserve. If we get Campbell we’ll be paying another coach to not coach here in about 4 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t get the obsession with Campbell. What has he done except a little better than the average at ISU? Seems along the lines of another Riley and a cheaper option than we can afford or deserve. If we get Campbell we’ll be paying another coach to not coach here in about 4 years.

That might be the one reason he'd accept the job.

• Haha 1