Who should our next HC be?

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t get the obsession with Campbell. What has he done except a little better than the average at ISU? Seems along the lines of another Riley and a cheaper option than we can afford or deserve. If we get Campbell we’ll be paying another coach to not coach here in about 4 years.

From my understanding it is because of his ability to create a team culture, hard nosed and actually grow players. Most seem to think he can recruit better players here and therefore coach them up to be a step above what he has now.

I am cool with Campbell but dont think he is a slam dunk. I do like the idea of someone who can actually create a strong culture.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

14 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

From my understanding it is because of his ability to create a team culture, hard nosed and actually grow players. Most seem to think he can recruit better players here and therefore coach them up to be a step above what he has now.

I am cool with Campbell but dont think he is a slam dunk. I do like the idea of someone who can actually create a strong culture.

If he can in fact build the desired culture and develop a tougher attitude, great. But it all seems to be predicated on him getting better results with Nebraska resources. I’ve heard that story before and it didn’t end well.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, SUPERBUNNY said:

Urban Meyer is the last person that should be under consideration.  Obviously, the guy has a tremendous resume.  More than that though, the guy has been exposed as world class douche canoe.  That is not ever something that Nebraska should settle for. 

I agree with those that say we need to let go of the past, I think that ended with Frost.  Time to put a proper modern spin on Husker Football.  There have been a lot of good candidates mentioned.  First things first, let's give Mickey Joseph an opportunity to put his stamp on it over the next few months and how the team responds.  

Let's just please end this fascination with Urban Meyer.  Heck, we could have just retained the last douche canoe we had as a coach, Pelini.  

GBR!  Let's shock the world this weekend!

SUPERBUNNY

Are you on this board for morals and guidance on how to live a wholesome life or are you on this board because you're addicted to a football progrum that deseparately needs a return to excellence to fill your fall saturdays with wins and arrogance the rest of the week?

For me, its the latter, if we can bring in Urban, one of the most successful and winningest coaches in CFB history, you f'n do it and worry about the consequences later

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is a lazy take.  They are nothing alike.  The game had passed Riley by when he got here.

For one thing Campbell would be 20 years younger than when Riley took the job here.

He has 1 losing season in 10 years as a head coach (1st year at ISU).  3 out of Riley's last 5 years at OSU were losing seasons.

Only 1 losing season vs B12 teams (1st year at ISU).  4 out of Riley's last 5 years had losing season vs P12 teams.

Campbell has midwest recruiting ties.  Riley had west coast recruiting ties

We have hired 5 different kinds of coaches so one can pick them apart using comparables.  I guess we need to hire either a sitting P5 coach at a similar school or an out of work coach since we haven't done those yet.

Solich - can't promote from within

Callahan - can't hire an NFL coach

Pelini - can't hire the hot coordinator, defensive mastermind, firey demenor

Riley - can't hire a P5 coach who has done more with less, calm demenor

Frost - can't hire the up and coming mid-major coach, offensive mastermind

It may well be a lazy take and obviously he’s a decent coach.  But I haven’t seen ISU win any Big XII titles, finish top ten or be in the discussion for the playoff. That’s the type of coach I think we need. Maybe that just isn’t feasible any longer. It’s going to take someone that stands out after basically getting our pick of the litter last time and it turning out to be the runt.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It may well be a lazy take and obviously he’s a decent coach.  But I haven’t seen ISU win any Big XII titles, finish top ten or be in the discussion for the playoff. That’s the type of coach I think we need. Maybe that just isn’t feasible any longer. It’s going to take someone that stands out after basically getting our pick of the litter last time and it turning out to be the runt.

Not trying to argue either way, but it is Iowa State. Historically that's a really hard place to win. Their last conference title was in 1912 and they have one division title in 2004. Overall record is 551-661-46. That doesn't mean Campbell is a God, just pointing it out.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

They finished in the top 10 like 2 years ago 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

They finished in the top 10 like 2 years ago 

Maybe, but it’s Iowa State…..was I supposed to notice? :lol:

Sorry. I shouldn’t even dip my toe in these discussions. Apathy has taken over and I really don’t care. The powers that be are going to hire who they want and I’ll watch the games hoping for the best only to be disappointed again and again and again. It’s a proven process.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe, but it’s Iowa State…..was I supposed to notice? :lol:

Sorry. I shouldn’t even dip my toe in these discussions. Apathy has taken over and I really don’t care. The powers that be are going to hire who they want and I’ll watch the games hoping for the best only to be disappointed again and again and again. It’s a proven process.

Hey i feel ya on that one. This past offseason was the least active for me in terms of reading up on Husker stuff in a long time. 

Campbell, Chadwell, Fickell, Leipold....   

What if they all say "Thank you, I'm kind of interested, but no thank you"

What if the following coaches get contacted, and each one says "I appreciate Nebraska, it is amazing, but no thanks"....

From:  Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Heupel, Whittingham, Aranda, Shaw, Gundy, Leach, and Monken.

It's like Husker fans that love to say "but we have resources and facilities and NIL" -  as if no one else does.  And then they say, "But we are Nebraska..."

I am sorry... but the Huskers won't be getting their top 2 or 3 choices... or top 10-15.  

Without Mickey coming to the rescue, we are going to be screwed again.  

It might as well be the Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy (nice!) getting his 1st time gig as head coach (uggghhhh, here we go again).

But that will because everybody else said "nope" to Nebraska.

• Haha 3
  • TBH 3