Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

OK. You kool-aid drinkers win. Hire Urban. But never, ever complain when he takes the money, doesn't produce the results you want and leaves. 7-8 wins a season is not my benchmark. It's higher. We had Bo. We ran him out of town. At this point, we don't deserve nice things. 

But sure, Urban is the savior.

For my part, I am hoping for an up-and-comer who is willing to take a few calculated risks to build a program with a cohesive vision and plan and make a name for himself. 

Is Bo a better coach then Urban Meyer? What makes you think Urban Meyer is only going to just get 7-8 wins??? What makes you think he isn't going to surround himself with the best possible staff to help him succeed and with money to spend. They showed all those All-American players pictures on tv today and its a disgrace to them and the players on the team to NOT HAVE THE BEST PRODUCT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Its a disgrace to the former players that worked so hard to bring excellence to the university and its a disgrace to current players bc they aren't being taught by the best coaches available to them. Lets settle. Settling is the way to go get the f out of here with that crap.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

Oh yeah. I'm sure hiring him magically results in a ton of wins in Lincoln. My bad. He's bad for the program. I'll keep saying it because it's true.

Sorry your slow and I'll try to draw you a picture to help you understand my response to your post.

YOU JUST DESCRIBED SCOTT FROST 5 YEARS AGO.

And please name a coach that could meet your benchmark.  LIke within five years of being hired.  I'll wait......................

Probably gonna have to be here a while, but I'll wait.................

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Sorry your slow and I'll try to draw you a picture to help you understand my response to your post.

YOU JUST DESCRIBED SCOTT FROST 5 YEARS AGO.

And please name a coach that could meet your benchmark.  LIke within five years of being hired.  I'll wait......................

Probably gonna have to be here a while, but I'll wait.................

Ha! I was never a scott Frost fan. He was a mediocre QB in a great system who didn't need to throw a lot. Wasn't sold on him at UCf. How about an up-and-comer coordinator, say a Jim Leonard at Wisconsin or similar? But feel free to tell me why this job is the same as Columbus or even Saban's deal in Tuscaloosa because it isn't. We need someone fairly obscure in my opinion, someone with everything to prove.

14 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is Bo a better coach then Urban Meyer? What makes you think Urban Meyer is only going to just get 7-8 wins??? What makes you think he isn't going to surround himself with the best possible staff to help him succeed and with money to spend. They showed all those All-American players pictures on tv today and its a disgrace to them and the players on the team to NOT HAVE THE BEST PRODUCT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Its a disgrace to the former players that worked so hard to bring excellence to the university and its a disgrace to current players bc they aren't being taught by the best coaches available to them. Lets settle. Settling is the way to go get the f out of here with that crap.

maybe put down the bottle. What makes YOU think that Urban Meyer is going to come to Lincoln, recruit players and coaches and magically win?

24 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Oh yeah. I'm sure hiring him magically results in a ton of wins in Lincoln. My bad. He's bad for the program. I'll keep saying it because it's true.

If your objection is only tied to the baggage tied to him that’s fine.

But to make the argument urban would top out at 8 wins meanwhile coaches who don’t have his track record could do better, you lost me

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

maybe put down the bottle. What makes YOU think that Urban Meyer is going to come to Lincoln, recruit players and coaches and magically win?

1. Make him the highest paid coach in america

2. urban has won in the sec, he’s won in the big10. What else would look great on the resume? Bringing back a sleeping giant

3. if we land urban the least of my worries is the staff and players he’d bring with him. It’s landing him that’s the tough part

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Ha! I was never a scott Frost fan. He was a mediocre QB in a great system who didn't need to throw a lot. Wasn't sold on him at UCf. How about an up-and-comer coordinator, say a Jim Leonard at Wisconsin or similar? But feel free to tell me why this job is the same as Columbus or even Saban's deal in Tuscaloosa because it isn't. We need someone fairly obscure in my opinion, someone with everything to prove.

So were gonna go with a "learn on the job" first year head coach?????  At least you picked someone with experience of knowing the conference(small kudos to you for that much) albeit a guy coaching at his beloved alma mater, probably more popular than the HC he works for among boosters and alum, and for a team that is in the same division.   Sorry, but your bench mark ain't getting reached within that 5 year window with that hire.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Given the choice between Meyer and an “up and comer”:

I’d rather get a coach who’s been at the top and wants to prove he still belongs there, and all the excitement in attention and recruiting that comes with it.  I think it’s better than someone who “hopes” to get there.

Urban Meyer and Nebraska are pretty much synonymous right now.  Both have been at the top.  Both had embarrassments because of their egos.  Both want to be known as great!

Yep. Both have something to prove. We got to realize that college football is not much different than the NFL now. The only thing that matters is winning and fans in the stands/TV/streaming. Thus we need to fork out big $$s and get a proven winner at this level or fall further behind 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

If your objection is only tied to the baggage tied to him that’s fine.

But to make the argument urban would top out at 8 wins meanwhile coaches who don’t have his track record could do better, you lost me

My objection is related to so much more. Baggage is a significant part of it. My 7-8 wins comment wasn't related to him but many people here who have professed to want that many. He isn't going to come to Lincoln and magically produce a new culture, he's toxic. But, if that's what everyone wants, fine. I am on record. Urban is only going to sign a coaching contract if he has a HUGE financial stake, win or lose. He simply doesn't have to do otherwise. I don't think we need to sell out the future (again) because of something he did in the past (sound familiar? it should). Again, feel free to want him. He's toxic. But please continue. I know what I believe and I doubt I'm wrong. Let's offer him the entire TV contract money! That should get him here.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Yep. Both have something to prove. We got to realize that college football is not much different than the NFL now. The only thing that matters is winning and fans in the stands/TV/streaming. Thus we need to fork out big $$s and get a proven winner at this level or fall further behind 

This guy gets it

• Plus1 2

Don't get too optimistic on the coach search.  When Solich was fired everyone thought that top coaches would be jumping at the job, and you heard names like Bill Parcels and Steve Mariucci thrown around.  Then a guy named Houston Nutt said no thanks.  Ended up with a desperation hire in Callahan.  Got time to do it right this time, but need to do better than a retread mediocrity like Riley. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, PaulCrewe said:

Again, did you just try to relate what Urb has accomplished as a college coach and Frost???????

I related what Urban did in college in the past with our fanbase's weird obsession with where we were in the 1970s/1980s. Apples and oranges. Florida/tOSU are not Nebraska. End of story. But get him, give him a billion dollars, makes no difference to me. I'll still watch and I'll still be frustrated when we lose.

• Thanks 1

I want Luke Fickell. Take away his first season at Cincinnati and he is 46-8. Fickell will toughen the program up. He is a blue-collar, no nonsense guy and by far the best fit for Nebraska. In 2021 Fickell collected eight national coach of the year honors, including the The Home Depot National Coach of the Year, Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year, the Stallings Award, the Eddie Robinson Award and the Dodd Trophy as well as accolades from the AFCA, Walter Camp Foundation and Sporting News. Fickell has watched 16 Bearcats earn a selection in the NFL Draft, including a school-record nine draft picks in 2022.

I do not want Urban. Again, during the pregame Trev preached he is looking for a coach to lead by serving the players. Don't see Trev hiring a guy caught drunk and snatch grabbing in a bar not too long ago because he was about to get fired to lead.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Go Furself said:

I want Luke Fickell.

I do not want Urban. Again, during the pregame, Trev preached he is looking for a coach to lead by serving the players. Don't see Trev hiring a guy caught drunk and snatch grabbing in a bar not too long ago because he was about to get fired to lead.

This is solid logic. Top to bottom, good points and a solid choice

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1