Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, skeener said:

Don't get too optimistic on the coach search.  When Solich was fired everyone thought that top coaches would be jumping at the job, and you heard names like Bill Parcels and Steve Mariucci thrown around.  Then a guy named Houston Nutt said no thanks.  Ended up with a desperation hire in Callahan.  Got time to do it right this time, but need to do better than a retread mediocrity like Riley. 

You also have probably the most competent AD making the hire than we have had since Byrne

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

This guy gets it

I’ll apply for the job:D   Seriously I wish we had the luxury of hiring a TO clone who presented the perfect image. But I think if we cannot get someone like Tom in how he conducts himself then let’s swing for the fences and get someone who wins like Tom.  Winning will cover up the past errors if we win ethically. I don’t think Urb would do anything  unethically here - like having offsite practices supervised by assistant coaches :o

4 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I related what Urban did in college in the past with our fanbase's weird obsession with where we were in the 1970s/1980s. Apples and oranges. Florida/tOSU are not Nebraska. End of story. But get him, give him a billion dollars, makes no difference to me. I'll still watch and I'll still be frustrated when we lose.

Yet your bench mark is the bolded, cause you said you expect more than 8 wins.  Interesting.   

14 minutes ago, Go Furself said:

I want Luke Fickell. Take away his first season at Cincinnati and he is 46-8. Fickell will toughen the program up. He is a blue-collar, no nonsense guy and by far the best fit for Nebraska.

I do not want Urban. Again, during the pregame Trev preached he is looking for a coach to lead by serving the players. Don't see Trev hiring a guy caught drunk and snatch grabbing in a bar not too long ago because he was about to get fired to lead.

Right, because under Trev's list of traits he's look for under serving the players, he's gonna value more about what urban's personal life is than the traits he brings to the field.  makes total sense

Meyer literally called out our DC on 4th and 4 with two deep safety.. then bam Meyers play call gets the first. Embarrassing. I wasn’t on the Urban Meyer train.. I will say this..  Hes the ONLY HC that can flip that OL, DL, and MLBs in one year. I want Hausmann at MLB and not any other of “our” guys. Interior line. None. Offensive.line maybe a healthy Lutovsky and Prochaxa. Meyer wins us the West in year one. Big 10 in year one or two. 5 year contract and if Joseph is the guy afterward.. awesome.. We need a big time hire. Not a 3-5 year project. Highest paid HC in the NCAA and no Husker fan would care. We want to win. It’s been far too long 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Yet your bench mark is the bolded, cause you said you expect more than 8 wins.  Interesting.   

I said I want more than 7-8 wins/year. But feel free to misinterpret my words to fit your narrative. Doesn't bother me. We need a coach who fits who we are. With a system that fits who we are. Back to basics. Strength and conditioning, team first, walk-ons...everybody working toward a common goal. We should compete for what is the big ten west every year (didn't say win, but we should be in the hunt every year until realignment happens again and I will reevaluate), we should be competitive in the conference championship game when we win the West. 2012 was unacceptable. If we win the conference championship, then we set our sights on a couple more games in an expanded playoff. But first, the division. PLay in a decent bowl game, not some garbage 4th tier game in Detroit. But we need to become eligible to play in a bowl game first. It is all possible. I just disagree that Urban Meyer is the guy to do it - why is that so hard for you to understand? It's my opinion as you have yours. I sincerely hope Urban signs a longterm contract after talking to Trev, and look forward you sending me these messages in a few years and saying "I told you so" I just don't think that will ever happen.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Bringing in a competent DC and a couple good linebackers would do wonders. Throw in a big bad NG too.

An injury and another injury and you’re back at 3-9. Proves my point. Building a winning organization takes consistency in recruiting to your scheme and teaching technique. Not fun or sexy but look around at who wins and they’ve got great teachers and tons of depth. 

Minnesota might be annoying but they’re on the right track. Iowa and Wisconsin do it on one side of the ball. 

UGA/Bama/OSU/Clemson have a decade of recruiting and development on the whole country which is why everyone is so far behind them. A&M is not far behind. LSU will be there shortly and so will Florida. Nebraska hasn’t even started the process. 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

An injury and another injury and you’re back at 3-9. Proves my point. Building a winning organization takes consistency in recruiting to your scheme and teaching technique. Not fun or sexy but look around at who wins and they’ve got great teachers and tons of depth. 

Minnesota might be annoying but they’re on the right track. Iowa and Wisconsin do it on one side of the ball. 

UGA/Bama/OSU/Clemson have a decade of recruiting and development on the whole country which is why everyone is so far behind them. A&M is not far behind. LSU will be there shortly and so will Florida. Nebraska hasn’t even started the process. 

in a nutshell, this lays out the problems we face

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Baylor, BYU, Utah and Arkansas are all ranked right now and have been for the past few years. Kentucky is top 10. 

Here’s a guy that pointed out five great comps for where we should be. Not USC, not Clemson. 

Baylor and Arkansas were in really dire straights not long ago. Both hired highly regarded position coaches/coordinators that were football junkies. Both have a strong identity and recruit to it. No need to stray from it because it works. They’re also extremely disciplined and have coaches that hold themselves to the same standard. 

BYU and Utah are both interesting because they were never bad and they have a lot of cultural elements going. Great fans, etc. sound familiar? They just made great hires and were patient. Neither was flipped overnight. 

Kentucky is the slow rebuild nobody wants to commit to. Fundamentals, recruiting to scheme, technique, and depth are all the reasons why. It would be hard to replicate due to proximity to talent but the blueprint would translate. 

Unfortunately none of the coaches are coming because these programs have the money to retain and recruit. That said, Nebraska should be in this group of schools. This is our ceiling. Grind, make the 12-team, and when a QB clicks you get a shot at making a run. Unless you’re Georgia, Alabama, or OSU this is your best bet. I could see Texas emerging in this group since they’ll probably pick up steam and Sark knows how to make it work. 

The difference between those five schools and Nebraska is that they don’t need to portal. We can’t be next man up because the next man up is a true freshman who hasn’t even been coached. It’s going to take time.

11 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Right, because under Trev's list of traits he's look for under serving the players, he's gonna value more about what urban's personal life is than the traits he brings to the field.  makes total sense

Yah, Trev is going to be interested in this because he wants a drama-free, longer-term coach to firmly re-establish culture and lead and serve the players. Trev said he is not in a hurry and that he is more interested in getting the right guy. So, Trev is likely not going to take a risk on Urban, a 58 year old with heart issues whose best years are behind him with a family that does not want him coaching anymore to coach for a handful of years at most which gives Urban, and Trev, a short window for a "quick fix."

7 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I said I want more than 7-8 wins/year. But feel free to misinterpret my words to fit your narrative. Doesn't bother me. We need a coach who fits who we are. With a system that fits who we are. Back to basics. Strength and conditioning, team first, walk-ons...everybody working toward a common goal. We should compete for what is the big ten west every year (didn't say win, but we should be in the hunt every year until realignment happens again and I will reevaluate), we should be competitive in the conference championship game when we win the West. 2012 was unacceptable. If we win the conference championship, then we set our sights on a couple more games in an expanded playoff. But first, the division. PLay in a decent bowl game, not some garbage 4th tier game in Detroit. But we need to become eligible to play in a bowl game first. It is all possible. I just disagree that Urban Meyer is the guy to do it - why is that so hard for you to understand? It's my opinion as you have yours. I sincerely hope Urban signs a longterm contract after talking to Trev, and look forward you sending me these messages in a few years and saying "I told you so" I just don't think that will ever happen.

We'll just ignore your first sentences as your words you typed out about your benchmark and then mocking those that have the same aspirations for the program are somehow misinterpreted.  Whatever

I mean if you watched the game at all when Urb was in the booth, or even pregame, he made numerous references of those things you just listed.  Do you not think that's how he'd run a program again(I mean it's what he did every stop of his college career)???

Finally, you can go back in multiple threads, start with the first page of the game thread, and you'll see I've been in the camp that this program needs Meyer, but realize that it probably won't happen.  

And to let ya know, I am not the told you so type of guy.  Imagine my own heartbreak of not being able to converse with you if that happened

1 minute ago, TonkaSker said:

Here’s a guy that pointed out five great comps for where we should be. Not USC, not Clemson. 

Baylor and Arkansas were in really dire straights not long ago. Both hired highly regarded position coaches/coordinators that were football junkies. Both have a strong identity and recruit to it. No need to stray from it because it works. They’re also extremely disciplined and have coaches that hold themselves to the same standard. 

BYU and Utah are both interesting because they were never bad and they have a lot of cultural elements going. Great fans, etc. sound familiar? They just made great hires and were patient. Neither was flipped overnight. 

Kentucky is the slow rebuild nobody wants to commit to. Fundamentals, recruiting to scheme, technique, and depth are all the reasons why. It would be hard to replicate due to proximity to talent but the blueprint would translate. 

Unfortunately none of the coaches are coming because these programs have the money to retain and recruit. That said, Nebraska should be in this group of schools. This is our ceiling. Grind, make the 12-team, and when a QB clicks you get a shot at making a run. Unless you’re Georgia, Alabama, or OSU this is your best bet. I could see Texas emerging in this group since they’ll probably pick up steam and Sark knows how to make it work. 

again, this is solid thinking. Not the knee-jerk "if we get Urban, we'll be relevant" nonsense. No, this is factual, well-reasoned and high-level analysis.

• Plus1 1