Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is uncertainty about the future of the PAC 12.  Yes, Washington could end up getting an invite to the Big Ten, but that's not a given.  I doubt DeBoer will leave UW after only one year, but any coach outside of the SEC or Big Ten will seriously look at jobs within those 2 conferences.

I think that uncertainty is significantly reduced with a 12 team playoff.  Might even be a positive reason to stay in an easier conference for some. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Whatever said:

His buyout is 12 million and he leaves because he is making 3.1 mil a year. We paid frost 2.2 mil per win in case we needed a reminder

NU's starting point at the salary for the next head coach should be $6 million, regardless of who it is.  NU fans keep harping that this NU needs to be a top 1/3 of the conference program, then NU needs to pay in that range.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Fickell isn't leaving Ohio. We have a better chance of landing Meyer than we do Fickell. 

Fickell could have had the Notre Dame job the week after Brian Kelley left for LSU.  

If he stayed at Cincinnati over the Irish job, he isn't thinking of Nebraska.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is uncertainty about the future of the PAC 12.  Yes, Washington could end up getting an invite to the Big Ten, but that's not a given.  I doubt DeBoer will leave UW after only one year, but any coach outside of the SEC or Big Ten will seriously look at jobs within those 2 conferences.

I think he got a 5 year $16M contract so after this season he will still get over $13M

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Leipold is doing well, but he's one of those "gets the most out of his players" guys. There's really nothing that sets him apart from any other coach in the West.

Leipold isn't going to give up his success in Kansas for a shot in Nebraska.  What he has accomplished so far, he will not move until a real baddie comes around.  Rebuilds are exhausting and don't usually end well.  He is fine where he is at until a few real players step in.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I don't disagree with anything you just said.

If Meyer can't win here, no one can.  So the university might as well go out guns blazing!

I don't really think Meyer would be interested in coming.  But I think people are crazy to say they think it would be a bad hire if he was "stupid" and came.

I do think that Urb got a boner today...

Crap team

Fired coach

sell out crowd

Remember, Urb is not interviewing, NU is selling themselves to him...and today was a home run.

I'm not opposed to Nebraska hiring Urban Meyer, I just don't think he'd take the Nebraska job. My assumption is Meyer is only taking a top 5-7 job, and Nebraska isn't one of those.

That's not to say Nebraska is a bad job. There are a lot of positives. For the first in 60 years, there won't be a revolt if the next coach doesn't win 9 games the first season. Plus, you know, Big 10 money, stable conference and the ability to capitalize on NIL stuff.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

Looks like Kalen DeBoer needs to be on the list.

Dominating Sparty right now and Midwest ties too.

Met him when he was coaching USF into a dynasty. Great guy. Go look at his QB commit this year. Pierre, SD. I had my doubts until I saw the state championship game last year. Was glad he didn’t commit to Wisconsin 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

What constitutes acceptable success for you?  What is Nebraska’s ceiling?  Winning the division once every three years?  Winning the conference once every three years?

Being one of the nation's ranked programs. There are 25 teams that are considered best in the nation Nebraska should be one of those at the very least. That's constitutes as acceptable success. Nebraska knows what their ceiling is. Nebraska needs a great coaching staff and not just competing for a conference championship one year then reloading like Northwestern has done.