Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, corncraze said:

Honestly we’re bracing for another bad hire and drifting further into irrelevancy…

I’d agree with you if it’s late November and we still don’t have any progress. It’ll be here quickly. Behind the scenes we can only hope Trev is moving swiftly and using time to his advantage.

52 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

I’d say the current list should be:

1. Matt Rhule

2. Mark Stoops

3. Kalen DeBoer

4. Matt Campbell

5. Lance Leipold 

Realistically if we can pull one from this list I’d be very happy.

My gut feeling is Rhule is our #1 realistic target.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Dansker said:

Out of every person’s list only one coach has shown interest in Nebraska in the past and that’s Matt Campbell. If you want detail oriented, player development, defensive minded, he is our guy. But we need to take what Urban said with seriousness. We need to go back to what made us an epicenter of player development. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball.

We don’t know 100% if Urban has interest or not. We’re either going to get a coach on the up and up or a fired HC. Based on who is trending up and down, I see no reason why to go after someone who was recently fired. I don’t understand the obsession with Matt Rhule. Did he beat any top CFB teams at Baylor? He hasn’t done anything at Carolina. To me he’s another Bill Callahan.

The next coach needs to be someone who is a master at fundamentals, a motivator, and player developer. And we need to surround him with a huge financial pool to use for assistants.

Agree with much of what you shared. That there needs to be strength up front isn’t particularly enlightening. Everyone here understands the importance of it.

Get some dudes with the bodies and brains willing to put in the work. Develop it! Let’s get back to being known as a place that develops linemen. It’s not as sexy as skill players but they’re every bit as important and more so.

Carefully evaluate the staff of all you’re candidates. That matters too. 

59 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Curious who the meyer or bust crowd thinks is the next best now that he’s not going to be coaching anywhere next year. Thoughts?

Deion Sanders

And the fact that his name isn’t being mentioned more (except for Vegas odds on him being pretty high and a few national talking heads mentioning him) only goes to show what’s wrong with Nebraska. Old stiff white living in the past set in our ways program.

Deion is a lot more than just celebrity schtick. He’s done a great job at turning around Jackson State. Not good. Great. He can recruit as good or better than anyone in the county, he knows how to work the hell out of the NIL, he’s put together a great coaching staff and recognizes the need for it, he’s had experience in every facet of the game from coaching to broadcasting to playing, he can talk NFL all day which is all these kids want these days, and he’s a very likable guy who can sell ice to an Eskimo. He’s also apparently interviewed for a handful of P5 jobs and been very impressive. Someone will take a chance on him sooner than later.

He’s a risk, but he’d be next on my list behind Urban to move the needle toward what Nebraska needs. Research him a little before you just roll your eyes. If not Urban, I’d take Deion over all the other generic rinse and repeat prospect names that are being thrown around.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Dansker said:

Out of every person’s list only one coach has shown interest in Nebraska in the past and that’s Matt Campbell. If you want detail oriented, player development, defensive minded, he is our guy. But we need to take what Urban said with seriousness. We need to go back to what made us an epicenter of player development. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball.

We don’t know 100% if Urban has interest or not. We’re either going to get a coach on the up and up or a fired HC. Based on who is trending up and down, I see no reason why to go after someone who was recently fired. I don’t understand the obsession with Matt Rhule. Did he beat any top CFB teams at Baylor? He hasn’t done anything at Carolina. To me he’s another Bill Callahan.

The next coach needs to be someone who is a master at fundamentals, a motivator, and player developer. And we need to surround him with a huge financial pool to use for assistants.

Then you need to do your homework more. He did a phenomenal job turning Baylor around in the wake of the whole Art Briles rape debacle. And did it with all the things you listed that you think we need. Yeah  And I put very little stock in his NFL performance. Saban and Urban failed in the NFL too.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Deion Sanders

And the fact that his name isn’t being mentioned more (except for Vegas odds on him being pretty high and a few national talking heads mentioning him) only goes to show what’s wrong with Nebraska. Old stiff white living in the past set in our ways program.

Deion has made it pretty clear that he is building something and has a different focus than him and his coaching aspirations. He does not want the NU job as it doesn't align with what he is looking to do. It isn't fair to blame it on some form of old stiff whitism.

5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Deion Sanders

Deion is a lot more than just celebrity schtick. He’s done a great job at turning around Jackson State. Not good. Great. He can recruit as good or better than anyone in the county, he knows how to work the hell out of the NIL, he’s put together a great coaching staff and recognizes the need for it, he’s had experience in every facet of the game from coaching to broadcasting to playing, he can talk NFL all day which is all these kids want these days, and he’s a very likable guy who can sell ice to an Eskimo. He’s also apparently interviewed for a handful of P5 jobs and been very impressive. Someone will take a chance on him sooner than later.

He’s a risk, but he’d be next on my list behind Urban to move the needle toward what Nebraska needs. Research him a little before you just roll your eyes. If not Urban, I’d take Deion over all the other generic rinse and repeat prospect names that are being thrown around.

There’s a lot of laughs about Deion when he’s mentioned. I don’t think he’s ready for this stage yet IMO. If one listens to him though and considers what he’s accomplished, it’s not ridiculous at all for him being part of the conversation.

• Fire 2
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The staff is on Frost. I'm just saying we didn't cheap out last time we went after the top prospect with a large contract. 

They paid him a good salary, sure. They weren't going to lowball him. My point is that they didn't have to pay him an exorbitant amount in order for him to come here. They made him a solid offer and he took it. 

2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Deion has made it pretty clear that he is building something and has a different focus than him and his coaching aspirations. He does not want the NU job as it doesn't align with what he is looking to do. It isn't fair to blame it on some form of old stiff whitism.

No he hasn’t. He has legitimately interviewed for a handful of P5 jobs, including TCU and Arkansas. He has publicly stated that he wants to coach at the P5 level.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

I’d say the current list should be:

1. Matt Rhule

2. Mark Stoops

3. Kalen DeBoer

4. Matt Campbell

5. Lance Leipold 

Realistically if we can pull one from this list I’d be very happy.

I agree on the Top 3. After that, not so much. Campbell's 44-34 record in the Big 12 doesn't impress me, nor does his 1-6 record vs. Iowa. His ceiling seems to be 7-8 wins a year and nothing makes him stand out above any other coach in the West. We need someone who gives us an edge or advantage over Fleck and Brohm and he doesn't. I don't see how we could negotiate with DeBoer or Leipold or Stoops where they're all in the midst of successful seasons and are surely focused on that and only that at the moment. Rhule is probably the most likely on that list because it's quite possible that he could be fired mid-season. I still think many are underestimating Herman, as well.

1 hour ago, TonkaSker said:

Curious who the meyer or bust crowd thinks is the next best now that he’s not going to be coaching anywhere next year. Thoughts?

Next best is Shawn Peyton. Doubt he would ever leave NFl, but make him a a ridiculous offer and give it a chance. He could bring top recruits in like Urban. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1