Who should our next HC be?

6 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Why are more people not excited about Lance Leopold? Dude took a total crap show in Kansas and made them look like something.  He's had success everywhere else he's been.  Seems very realistic relocate him a state north.  

We're only 3 games in to the season. Let's say Kansas finishes 5-7. Then what? He was 37-33 at Buffalo, with one 10-4 season where they didn't beat anyone of merit and lost 52-17 to Solich's Ohio team. Wouldn't call that "success." I'm not sold on him.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Man... you fully went from "we NEED a splash big name bona fide all star head coach because we also NEED top 10 recruiting" to "I'd hire the G5 guy just so we can be weird and get the leftovers" in like 4 days

I've said from the start that we have two options: 1) get a big name hire who can lure elite talent to Lincoln; or 2) switch back to an offensive philosophy (option) that makes Nebraska a unique brand and makes us the destination for kids who play a similar style in HS. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've said from the start that we have two options: 1) get a big name hire who can lure elite talent to Lincoln; or 2) switch back to an offensive philosophy (option) that makes Nebraska a unique brand and makes us the destination for kids who play a similar style in HS. 

That seems like a really small pool to get recruits from...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've said from the start that we have two options: 1) get a big name hire who can lure elite talent to Lincoln; or 2) switch back to an offensive philosophy (option) that makes Nebraska a unique brand and makes us the destination for kids who play a similar style in high school  

When was the last time a big ten team had success with the option? Honest question, because it makes absolutely zero sense that those are our only two ways back to competitive football. 

Talented kids don’t want to play for an option offense, they want to play in the NFL. 

• Plus1 2

I suspect there's some folks who are slightly out of touch with what Nebraska football is in 2022 if they think we can just open up the checkbook and have top tier coaches fall at our feet.

I also suspect maybe we should be thankful we still have the clout to lure coaches away from the likes of the Kansases or Iowa States, if we do indeed have that much clout.

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I suspect there's some folks who are slightly out of touch with what Nebraska football is in 2022 if they think we can just open up the checkbook and have top tier coaches fall at our feet.

I also suspect maybe we should be thankful we still have the clout to lure coaches away from the likes of the Kansases or Iowa States, if we do indeed have that much clout.

Nebraska is an even more desirable destination than it was 5, 10, or even 15 years ago.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, BoSolich said:

he'll be 60 after his 1st season here. feels like mike riley all over again. mike riley won games at oregon st too which is the kansas of the pac10.

Urban Meyer is the same age. Does hiring anyone over 55 now feel like Mike Riley all over again? Just because of their age?

Man, it's going to be a long few months until the new HC is announced.

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Urban Meyer is the same age. Does hiring anyone over 55 now feel like Mike Riley all over again? Just because of their age?

Man, it's going to be a long few months until the new HC is announced.

Matt Campbell is compared to Riley because Campbell has only been at Iowa State and hasn't won a Big 12 championship.

Lance Liepold is just like Mike Riley because he's old (although I would prefer a coach a bit younger than Liepold, but it's not a huge strike against Liepold).

I don't know who the next coach will be, and I don't even know if I have a strong opinion on anyone.  All of the talk about Urban Meyer is giving me a headache.  It's an unrealistic option, that fans want to hang onto and then just b!^@h and moan when it doesn't come true.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, BoSolich said:

he'll be 60 after his 1st season here. feels like mike riley all over again. mike riley won games at oregon st too which is the kansas of the pac10.

Totally different.  Buffalo is a G5 that has to play P5 teams and he still had a winning record including bowl game wins.  Mike Riley was .500 including playing cupcake G5 teams. Right now he's proving that without star talent he can develop fundamentals well enough to take one of 2 programs that hasn't had a bowl in five years (we're the other one) to looking like a real team despite the talent gap.  Yes this year, but also towards the end of last year as well. 

Some people mentioned that it was weird that I want him because he's a state over.  That's not why I want him.  There are many solid coaches that seem to be regional.  I'm saying that him being more of a Midwest guy makes me think pulling him is an easier sell.  

As far as his age, to quote a former president  "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience"

• Plus1 2