Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed your thoughts ... but of course, I'd be willing to stomach Urban.  I don't think he would be that bad.

Here's what I'd do.  I'd see if he would bite on something like what Frost was given.  Maybe, just a bit more.  Now, before you throw stones ... please, let me finish.

From there, I'd make a contract that was filled with incentives.  In that would be a bonus for B1G conferene record, a bonus for winning the East side of the conference, a bonus for winning the B1G and on upwards.  I'd also put a bonus in there for a timeline on the turn around.  In all this, I would make it specific to a period of years being around 3-4.  

I haven't really seen a contract for a coach that would be really geared more toward a "performance contract".  I would set out a course for his record and then as well a few aspects related to character and the state of the program that will be maintained [and bonuses there as well].

Because he has a shorter window ... and a successful track record, this is how I would take on Urban as a coach that I think provides some necessary safe guards.

Would/will that happen ... I doubt it!  It's at least a view and an idea.

I'd love if all of football would have contracts geared more toward performance incentives. But, what in God's name would make you think Nebraska is in any kind of position of power here? We've got by far the weak hand when it comes to the pursuit of Urban, so we're in no position to try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to contract negotiations, with Urban or pretty much anybody. Not to mention, to try to change the entire culture of football contracts. Great idea, but it will never happen. 

24 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Fickell's 2011 season as HC is somewhat similar to Mickey Joseph's 2022 season with the exception that Fickell was handed the keys to a ferrari and Joseph was handed the keys to a Ford Pinto.  Cincinnati was doing relatively well with the exception of the last year before Fickell was named HC.  Sounds similar to UCF don't you think?    

No, it doesn't. Fickell has been there for six years and has steadily improved their depth. Frost was at UCF long enough to bring in a single recruiting class, essentially.

Fickell has had total command of the program for six years, or six classes, or two classes start-to-finish. His second, or this past year's made the playoff and hung with bama about as well as anyone did last year. They lost a ton of pieces to the draft and will take a step back this year, but every program goes through that cycle unless you're Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State and constantly reloading. Honestly, it's healthy cause it means your guys are developing.

21 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed your thoughts ... but of course, I'd be willing to stomach Urban.  I don't think he would be that bad.

Here's what I'd do.  I'd see if he would bite on something like what Frost was given.  Maybe, just a bit more.  Now, before you throw stones ... please, let me finish.

From there, I'd make a contract that was filled with incentives.  In that would be a bonus for B1G conferene record, a bonus for winning the East side of the conference, a bonus for winning the B1G and on upwards.  I'd also put a bonus in there for a timeline on the turn around.  In all this, I would make it specific to a period of years being around 3-4.  

I haven't really seen a contract for a coach that would be really geared more toward a "performance contract".  I would set out a course for his record and then as well a few aspects related to character and the state of the program that will be maintained [and bonuses there as well].

Because he has a shorter window ... and a successful track record, this is how I would take on Urban as a coach that I think provides some necessary safe guards.

Would/will that happen ... I doubt it!  It's at least a view and an idea.

I agree with you...i have no problem bringing in Urban...all of this "character" stuff seems to turn a blind eye on the police having TO on speed dial.  If rumors are to be true, Solich never passing up a drink...The difference with the "golden years" is that social media was not a thing so the true activities of the team and some coaches were not exposed widely.   Bring Urban in, pay him a bunch of money, have a contract to help protect you, and wait for the program to be turned around...he wont last 5 years but in 3 he can get this ship in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, Ggodd002 said:

I agree with you...i have no problem bringing in Urban...all of this "character" stuff seems to turn a blind eye on the police having TO on speed dial.  If rumors are to be true, Solich never passing up a drink...The difference with the "golden years" is that social media was not a thing so the true activities of the team and some coaches were not exposed widely.   Bring Urban in, pay him a bunch of money, have a contract to help protect you, and wait for the program to be turned around...he wont last 5 years but in 3 he can get this ship in the right direction.

He would get the ship turned in the right direction year one. He wouldn't have us winning 10 games but definitely we would have more wins then losses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I'd love if all of football would have contracts geared more toward performance incentives. But, what in God's name would make you think Nebraska is in any kind of position of power here? We've got by far the weak hand when it comes to the pursuit of Urban, so we're in no position to try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to contract negotiations, with Urban or pretty much anybody. Not to mention, to try to change the entire culture of football contracts. Great idea, but it will never happen. 

Um, I'm assuming money, opportunity and incentive will spree on anyone's imagination.  It has work in capitalism and I think it could work here.

Let me ask you, would you pay 12-15 million dollars if we were 10-2, or 11-1 in two years?

26 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Um, I'm assuming money, opportunity and incentive will spree on anyone's imagination.  It has work in capitalism and I think it could work here.

Let me ask you, would you pay 12-15 million dollars if we were 10-2, or 11-1 in two years?

Yes but a lot of Husker fans would say no bc thats too much or high risk high reward. If you were going to pay that much then what you speak of would have to be guaranteed results.

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yes but a lot of Husker fans would say no bc thats too much or high risk high reward. If you were going to pay that much then what you speak of would have to be guaranteed results.

You probably aren't following my posts then.  I stated I would have a base of 5-6 million a year and then make it the rest based on performance based on record.  It would have incremental bumps based on getting where we wanted to be in year 1, 2 and 3.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nobody would say no to a guaranteed 10-2 in two years. The issue is that there is absolutely no way that can be guaranteed. Nick Saban couldn't guarantee it.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just wish we could get Chris Petersen out of retirement. The guy is one year younger than Urban.

Talk about an amazing fit in Lincoln.

Same. Washington and Boise have both come open since he's retired and he didn't bite at either so he must be at peace with his pace of life.

Only way I see him coming back to coaching is at the FCS level up in the PNW. Guy's big on pace and family.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded actually correct?  I looked at his record from his record from his fourth year on because the majority of the players should have been his players.  In 2019, he went 7-6.  All but two of the teams he lost to were ranked in the top 15 at seasons end but two.  Those were KState who finished 8-5 and Okie State who finished 8-5.  I wouldn't call either of those two teams cellar-dweller.  All games lost in 19' were close games with the exception of Notre Dame in the bowl game.  In 2020, he went 9-3.  The three teams he lost to all finished in the top 20 at seasons end.  In 2021, he finished 7-6.  All but two of the teams he lost to were ranked in the top 25 at seasons end but two.  Those were West Virginia who finished 6-7 and Texas Tech who finished 7-6.  At Iowa State with his players, he has yet to lose to a team that wasn't bowl eligible.  He has only lost once to a team that finished the season with a losing record.  He has one top 10 finish.  Iowa State won just four conference games in the three seasons before Campbell became their coach.    

Since he's been at Iowa State, they've pretty much fallen into the 50th-60th ranked recruiting class per 247.  In terms of coaching, he's doing a really good job with the talent he has.  Now, here's where the arguments could be had.  Can he recruit better to Nebraska than he has at Iowa State?  Only time will tell, but it appears he's a much younger version of Bill Snyder.  I think it is also a positive that he played defensive lineman, and he has coached offensive linemen.  These are the two areas where we are the most lacking.  I wouldn't be disappointed if he's named the next coach.    

I think that's where the big money makes the difference.  You can open the checkbook for proven high energy assistant coaches that can recruit.  Campbell obviously has to close the deals and sell the vision.  I really wouldn't mind going this direction at all.

But I guess if we're staying cozy in fantasy land, sure give me Urban Meyer on a prove it contract, with Saban as recruiting coordinator/coach-in-waiting to cover our bases.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just wish we could get Chris Petersen out of retirement. The guy is one year younger than Urban.

Talk about an amazing fit in Lincoln.

Peterson won’t leave the NW because of his family.  His son is hospital ridden and has been in Seattle since he was born.  They won’t uproot him. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I want you all to try and understand something.  No one is wanting to walk into this s#!tshow, not anyone who is currently a successfull head coach at a drama free program.  Not ISU, Not Kentucky, Not Cincinniti, no one and why would they.  So you all better hope its Urban, because if its not him its going to be another unproven one and we all know how well all of that worked.

And that’s the bottom line cause STONE COLD SAID SO! 

14 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fwiw

The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman reported Kansas head coach Lance Leipold, Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell and Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien are “high” on the Cornhuskers’ list of potential targets to replace Scott Frost, who was fired Sept. 11 after a 1-2 start to the season.

So uninspired :facepalm::cry

• Plus1 2