Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would guess Trev probably has 5-10 "favorites" right now and is talking to a bunch of people behind the scenes.  Any list like this is premature IMO. 

Also seeing BOB on here is interesting b/c word was we did some due diligence on him last year and Trev determined it wasn't a fit.

Exactly, everyone is just throwing out the same names because they make sense and they get clicks. I doubt Alberts has spoken to any of them directly yet, there's no reason at this point to do more than gauge interest and fit through their agents and other contacts in the coaching world. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fwiw

The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman reported Kansas head coach Lance Leipold, Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell and Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien are “high” on the Cornhuskers’ list of potential targets to replace Scott Frost, who was fired Sept. 11 after a 1-2 start to the season.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761106b4745b3c8645966e

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fwiw

The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman reported Kansas head coach Lance Leipold, Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell and Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien are “high” on the Cornhuskers’ list of potential targets to replace Scott Frost, who was fired Sept. 11 after a 1-2 start to the season.

Reporters looking for clicks.  And head coaches about to get raises.  

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fwiw

Feldman is pretty reliable. Shouldn't be breaking news that there's been discussion with any of these guys.

Pretty important to note that the headline is clear in stating that there are others on the list. I'd still say plus odds the next coach is one of these three.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Feldman is pretty reliable. Shouldn't be breaking news that there's been discussion with any of these guys.

Pretty important to note that the headline is clear in stating that there are others on the list. I'd still say plus odds the next coach is one of these three.

I would be fairly surprised if its Leipold. I dont mind Bill O'Brien but think that still feels like a stretch.

Campbell strikes me as a guy who will turn it down.

At this point, I wouldnt be shocked at all if its someone we havent heard of yet. Season is young, no rush at this exact moment. Things will heat up in November. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fwiw

So of the 3 who would you pick?? :dunno

Lance Leipold - I like how he makes a winner where ever he goes.  It will be interesting to see how he does as he gets into the meat of the conference schedule. He already beat WV.

Matt Campbell - There are things I like about how he brought discipline and a winning attitude/culture to ISU - which has historically been terrible place to build a team (even though they pulled off the shocker win over TO in 1992 and over Bo (in the fumble game).  

I'm intrigued by BOB's experience at Bama - maybe his ties to the NFL could bring in some quality recruits wanting a solid connection to the NFL.  Perhaps he could bring Saban's successful management style to Nebraska.   He's not been a college HC for a while but he should understand the changes in the game having been the OC at Bama. 

My gut says Lance Leipold would be best while my head leans towards Bill O'Brien due to the experience he's has at PSU & Bama and in the NFL.  I would think he would have a link to some quality assistants to bring with him.    BOB seems like the easiest one to pull from their current job.  Matt is king at ISU - maybe hard for him to leave there.  Lance may think his work isn't completed at Kansas. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What did Liepold coach when he was here from 2001 - 2003?

I don't remember him.

He actually wasn't a coach. His wikipedia page, and all of these articles about him now, keep saying he was an assistant, but never share details.

The only thing I can find with any detail is this snippet from UNO in 2004 (he was on the UNO coaching staff both before and after his stint at UNL, as an administrative assistant):

https://omavs.com/sports/2004/3/23/208635481

UNO head football coach Pat Behrns announced Tuesday that Lance Leipold will rejoin the Nebraska-Omaha football staff as the offensive coordinator after spending the last three seasons at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln as an administrative assistant.

Leipold left for Nebraska-Lincoln after seven seasons as running backs coach at UNO under Behrns, where he was also the offensive coordinator for one season and recruiting coordinator from 1995 to 2001. He also had coaching stints at Doane College (1989) and Wisconsin-Whitewater (1987, 1988 and 1990) before spending three years as a graduate assistant at Wisconsin.

Leipold's responsibilities at Nebraska-Lincoln included maintaining the recruiting video database and assisting with on-campus recruiting functions. He was also the director of the Big Red Football School, which attracted approximately 1,200 high school athletes in 2003.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So of the 3 who would you pick?? :dunno

Lance Leipold - I like how he makes a winner where ever he goes.  It will be interesting to see how he does as he gets into the meat of the conference schedule. He already beat WV.

Matt Campbell - There are things I like about how he brought discipline and a winning attitude/culture to ISU - which has historically been terrible place to build a team (even though they pulled off the shocker win over TO in 1992 and over Bo (in the fumble game).  

I'm intrigued by BOB's experience at Bama - maybe his ties to the NFL could bring in some quality recruits wanting a solid connection to the NFL.  Perhaps he could bring Saban's successful management style to Nebraska.   He's not been a college HC for a while but he should understand the changes in the game having been the OC at Bama. 

My gut says Lance Leipold would be best while my head leans towards Bill O'Brien due to the experience he's has at PSU & Bama and in the NFL.  I would think he would have a link to some quality assistants to bring with him.    BOB seems like the easiest one to pull from their current job.  Matt is king at ISU - maybe hard for him to leave there.  Lance may think his work isn't completed at Kansas. 

If its just between those 3 I think:

Leipold highest ceiling because his offense could do some damage in the B1G. Frost teams always were just too disorganized but we saw what can happen when it came together the handful of times.  The type of offense can spread out the slower B1G west defenses and put up points quickly, and outside of some rare Wisconsin teams when these teams are actually forced to keep up on offense it's usually not pretty. 

Campbell is the highest chance of success in terms of putting a good product on the field that can win the west. I just dont see any way he cant at least do that.

BoB is really a  wildcard as he has been all over the place but he is well organized and can keep a team together plus he can work his offense around pretty well to suit his players. See the difference in his offense in Houston when he had a pocket passer vs how he completely changed to suit Watson as he learned to play in the NFL with a pretty average arm. His GM skills in the NFL were his downfall but how much that translates to college roster management is hard to tell. 

Honestly its so early and Trev said he will do a national search using a firm. If he actually does the due diligence interviews all the possibilities and thinks one of these are the choice then I could trust him. Id probably take Whittingham and a few other coaches over these 3 but that may not even be a possibility. 

1 hour ago, TonkaSker said:

He is.  I'm still just waiting for everything to shake out.