Who should our next HC be?

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Good read. People just like talking out of their a$$ and say things they don’t think anyone will research and call them out on.

Kinda like I did with Leipold? Had one 10-win season at Buffalo with the wins coming against teams that were a combined 42-80. Lost to Solich's Ohio team 52-17 that season, and were also blown out by Army. Don't be fooled.

Just like last week Klieman was a hot name... one loss to Tulane and now he sucks :lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded actually correct?  I looked at his record from his record from his fourth year on because the majority of the players should have been his players.  In 2019, he went 7-6.  All but two of the teams he lost to were ranked in the top 15 at seasons end but two.  Those were KState who finished 8-5 and Okie State who finished 8-5.  I wouldn't call either of those two teams cellar-dweller.  All games lost in 19' were close games with the exception of Notre Dame in the bowl game.  In 2020, he went 9-3.  The three teams he lost to all finished in the top 20 at seasons end.  In 2021, he finished 7-6.  All but two of the teams he lost to were ranked in the top 25 at seasons end but two.  Those were West Virginia who finished 6-7 and Texas Tech who finished 7-6.  At Iowa State with his players, he has yet to lose to a team that wasn't bowl eligible.  He has only lost once to a team that finished the season with a losing record.  He has one top 10 finish.  Iowa State won just four conference games in the three seasons before Campbell became their coach.    

Since he's been at Iowa State, they've pretty much fallen into the 50th-60th ranked recruiting class per 247.  In terms of coaching, he's doing a really good job with the talent he has.  Now, here's where the arguments could be had.  Can he recruit better to Nebraska than he has at Iowa State?  Only time will tell, but it appears he's a much younger version of Bill Snyder.  I think it is also a positive that he played defensive lineman, and he has coached offensive linemen.  These are the two areas where we are the most lacking.  I wouldn't be disappointed if he's named the next coach.    

Ok so he lost to some pretty mediocre teams, is my point. Too inconsistent. 50-60 rated recruiting classes aren't gonna cut it. 44-34 in the Big 12, and 1-6 vs. Iowa tells me all I need to know.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Kinda like I did with Leipold? Had one 10-win season at Buffalo with the wins coming against teams that were a combined 42-80. Lost to Solich's Ohio team 52-17 that season, and were also blown out by Army. Don't be fooled.

Just like last week Klieman was a hot name... one loss to Tulane and now he sucks :lol:

If we're defining these guys by single-game results what should we make of these? 

Clemson 31 - Ohio State 0

Iowa 55 - Ohio State 24

Purdue 49 - Ohio State 20

Maybe these don't fall on urban since some think Schiano was handling a lot of the day-to-day during his last few years.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Ok so he lost to some pretty mediocre teams, is my point. Too inconsistent. 50-60 rated recruiting classes aren't gonna cut it. 44-34 in the Big 12, and 1-6 vs. Iowa tells me all I need to know.

Most of their classes were in the mid 60s before he got there occasionally in the mid to high 50s. He has them in the mid to low 40s now. 

For reference Frost's two classes at UCF were 69th and 53rd and he was able to get Nebraska into the low 20s high teens without any results on the field. 

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, M.A. said:

We can be assured that Trev Alberts is being sufficiently thorough. He's doing his legwork and will do his very best to get us a great coach. 

It looks that way.  Can't be as inept as Pederson was when he canned Frank.  Pederson did it at the end of the season, but he had failed to line up any strong possibilities ahead of time by sending out feelers through intermediaries.  Then when nobody wanted it like he thought they would, week after week went by, recruits decommitted, and he had to make a desperation hire in Bill Calahan.  We all know how that worked out.

I think Campbell's first year 3-9 record at Iowa State should be given a pass, and not be a reflection of his coaching abilities.  Iowa State had gone 3-9, 2-10, and 3-9 the 3 prior years before Campbell's arrival, so expecting him to have an immediate turnaround is foolish.  People just want to include those initial bad years as a reason to downplay his overall record.  Iowa State has had 5 straight winning seasons.  I don't know if that's ever been done at Iowa State, and NU hasn't had 2 straight winning seasons since Pelini left.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Campbell's first year 3-9 record at Iowa State should be given a pass, and not be a reflection of his coaching abilities.  Iowa State had gone 3-9, 2-10, and 3-9 the 3 prior years before Campbell's arrival, so expecting him to have an immediate turnaround is foolish.  People just want to include those initial bad years as a reason to downplay his overall record.  Iowa State has had 5 straight winning seasons.  I don't know if that's ever been done at Iowa State, and NU hasn't had 2 straight winning seasons since Pelini left.

All that matters is the trend. If a coach suddenly wins a bunch and keeps winning, great, but as long as the trend is up, that's good.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

For reference Frost's two classes at UCF were 69th and 53rd and he was able to get Nebraska into the low 20s high teens without any results on the field. 

You mean its possible for someone to get higher ranked recruiting classes at a school with more resources and than at a school with lesser resources?  From listening to people on here what you recruit at School X is what you will recruit at School Y.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1