Who should our next HC be?

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Frost was one of the hottest coaching names in the country when he arrived here. It was no surprise to see him recruit in the teens, and reinforces my claim that we need a coach with name value who can recruit top names to Lincoln. Campbell doesn't have it.

Bill Callahan wasn’t a big name. He was a failed NFL coach with little personality. But, he had a staff of guys who could recruit, including John Blake as his Ace Recruiter. If Mickey sticks around as an assistant coach (which is likely) and Ace Recruiter on the staff, that can make up for a “big name coach” and NU can easily pull in top 20 recruiting classes. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Since when are Utah and Bowling Green hotbeds of talent? He's a huge name who elite recruits will come to play for. As soon as he's hired kids will be in the portal wanting to play for him, while meanwhile he recruits his own guys. Home run.

No kidding. There is no rebuild with Urban. He will get 40 guys with 4-5 star status to take over immediately. He wouldn't come in with rebuild type talent.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And my question to many is how long do you think its going to take those coaches to get there 8-9 wins? College football is all about the now thats why there is such a short lease on coaches being hired and turning a program around instantly. Most new coaches get usually 2-3 window on that. Scott was lucky to get 4+ years to try but in the end we as Husker Fans suffer. How long do you think the next coach should get to show improvement?

History has shown that coaches who are able to be successful at a school for a long time produce an 8 or 9 win season within the first 2-3 seasons, sometimes by the 4th. These are coaches going into situations where the teams had poor records before the new coach was hired. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Frost was one of the hottest coaching names in the country when he arrived here. It was no surprise to see him recruit in the teens, and reinforces my claim that we need a coach with name value who can recruit top names to Lincoln. Campbell doesn't have it.

He was still getting those classes well after the luster of that wore off. He wasn't doing that because he was a hot coach after he missed a bowl game 2 years in row. 

Next coach should be our current football coach, Mickey Joseph.

OU would have throttled Huskers, even with Frost and Chins.  That game isn't on Mickey or the players.  The scheme is a very strong possibility for why...  But still, it was like 3 days to get ready for OU.  What did you expect??

We can stack some wins after the bye week, keep current ballers on the team, and get after recruiting.

Frost and Chins got terminated.  

Now, I wouldn't give him a 2 to 3 to 5 year extension..... but if he can get the Huskers winning 4 or 5 games this year, that's our guy for next season.  Because, it means he would have beaten GS and NW.  Give him all of next year to make his mark, one year....as it should be.  

But also, understand that if Huskers win 2 games or less, than blow the s#!t up.  It was a terrible situation going downward from the beginning of 2022.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

it's going to be campbell. he's a long term option that knows how to recruit in the area.

That’s what I’m afraid of recruiting to the area. We don’t expand nationally like we need to with Campbell. This is a unique reset in College Football and the B1G.  If we don’t go big now we are stuck in the starting gate.  If Trev goes local yocal I’ll be disappointed and the win ceiling will be like 7 or 8. Urban is the clear difference maker. Tebow’s comments were right on about what he could do with Nebraska. We have to get a coach that wants to play for it all in the B1G.  I think we will go north of $10 million to lure in a serious coach. Mike Gundy seemed pretty sour that Bedlam is ending. I’d go after him, Aranda, and Stoops.  Petersen would be hard to get.  Fickell is a maybe for me.  If we are going lower tier like Campbell, Leopold, or Chadwell then maybe Chadwell because he’d bring something unique in regard to identity. Would it win? Probably not but you could build it up and get unique recruits if you saw it had some hope after a couple of years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, admo said:

Next coach should be our current football coach, Mickey Joseph.

OU would have throttled Huskers, even with Frost and Chins.  That game isn't on Mickey or the players.  The scheme is a very strong possibility for why...  But still, it was like 3 days to get ready for OU.  What did you expect??

We can stack some wins after the bye week, keep current ballers on the team, and get after recruiting.

Frost and Chins got terminated.  

Now, I wouldn't give him a 2 to 3 to 5 year extension..... but if he can get the Huskers winning 4 or 5 games this year, that's our guy for next season.  Because, it means he would have beaten GS and NW.  Give him all of next year to make his mark, one year....as it should be.  

But also, understand that if Huskers win 2 games or less, than blow the s#!t up.  It was a terrible situation going downward from the beginning of 2022.

If you aren’t going to give Mickey the requisite 4-5 year base contract for the head coaching job, then he doesn’t deserve the job. It doesn’t work like that. Trev can’t half-a$$ this decision, and that’s exactly what you are proposing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Minnesota has 7 national titles. Everyone knows that elite coaches are slobbering all over themselves to coach the gophers whenever the job opens up because of ‘tradition’. 

There are many reasons as to why Minnesota isn't a blue blood program. Fan support, Admin and boosters, facilities, accepting settling as a standard. Minnesota has tried to rectified their failures but since that happened well after they started to lose nobody remembers them for their 7 national championships. 

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

That’s what I’m afraid of recruiting to the area. We don’t expand nationally like we need to with Campbell. This is a unique reset in College Football and the B1G.  If we don’t go big now we are stuck in the starting gate.  If Trev goes local yocal I’ll be disappointed and the win ceiling will be like 7 or 8. Urban is the clear difference maker. Tebow’s comments were right on about what he could do with Nebraska. We have to get a coach that wants to play for it all in the B1G.  I think we will go north of $10 million to lure in a serious coach. Mike Gundy seemed pretty sour that Bedlam is ending. I’d go after him, Aranda, and Stoops.  Petersen would be hard to get.  Fickell is a maybe for me.  If we are going lower tier like Campbell, Leopold, or Chadwell then maybe Chadwell because he’d bring something unique in regard to identity. Would it win? Probably not but you could build it up and get unique recruits if you saw it had some hope after a couple of years.

I keep seeing things about needing to recruit nationally, and I agree to a point. But, the first step with this program is to start winning in the Big Ten. That is done with recruiting and developing within the 500 mile radius of Lincoln. Plus, if Mickey is retained, he can specialize in recruiting Louisiana and the South, and another assistant can specialize in Texas. 

• Plus1 2