Who should our next HC be?

41 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I’m okay with hiring Urban Meyer as long as we stop slut shaming him. Many of us give in to temptation as we get close to 60 and start losing our virility. 

Does getting close to 60 make it ok to kick a player or look the other way when your assistant coach is acting completely out of line?

• Plus1 1

Nebraska has the FEWEST 4 & 5 star recruits in their 500 mile radius. Dead last in the P5. 65/65 

So to me you really believe we can get a big name recruiter and get kids over the country with NIL, portal, etc. 

OR 

You dumb down the offense. Get a few great players with a coach who develops players. Run the ball. Play gritty defense. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Nebraska has the FEWEST 4 & 5 star recruits in their 500 mile radius. Dead last in the P5. 65/65 

So to me you really believe we can get a big name recruiter and get kids over the country with NIL, portal, etc. 

OR 

You dumb down the offense. Get a few great players with a coach who develops players. Run the ball. Play gritty defense. 

It’s not either or. It can be both.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

OR 

Personally I think 5 years ago it would have made more sense to do the latter.  Get a defensive guy and focus on the development in the trenches.  With this strategy you would probably be years away from competing at a really high level.  But now with NIL and the transfer portal I think you go out and try and get a big name and as many great recruiters as you can.  You can literally flip your roster in 1-2 years and be competitive right away.  That being said if you go that route it really has to be a "home run" or it won't work and you just end up with a disaster, if that makes sense.  

1 minute ago, Farms said:

Personally I think 5 years ago it would have made more sense to do the latter.  Get a defensive guy and focus on the development in the trenches.  With this strategy you would probably be years away from competing at a really high level.  But now with NIL and the transfer portal I think you go out and try and get a big name and as many great recruiters as you can.  You can literally flip your roster in 1-2 years and be competitive right away.  That being said if you go that route it really has to be a "home run" or it won't work and you just end up with a disaster, if that makes sense.  

I agree here...I think if you get Urban we could take off. Even if Mickey I think if he hired great assistants we could recruit well enough --development idk. 

I also think adding teams to the West of us only helps Nebraska IMO. 

42 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Does getting close to 60 make it ok to kick a player or look the other way when your assistant coach is acting completely out of line?

31 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

To be fair, it was a kicker…who’s arguably a player. 

Yeah, I mean, who among us hasn't wanted to kick a kicker from time-to-time? Or at least a punter. Most of us just aren't ever in a position to act on that perfectly normal impulse.

9 hours ago, chamrocck said:

This guy is singing my tune!  The part about having to buy out Campbell or Stoops and no buyout to get Urb is a strong point. Urb will kill it in recruiting  and the portal.  Urb is falling in our lap but we may bungle this!  If Notre Dame comes in and swoops him I will be so pissed. I could see Notre Dame hiring Urb and keeping their current young coach around and selling it as a feel good story. Trev, Git R Done before it’s too late!

Yes, he has a lot of good points.  Actually, it would be a great disappoint if Trev doesn't try to bring Urb on - at least make him say no.  As the guy said, Nebraska Nice needs to die.  We've neglected the things that really matter for too long.  If we have a desire to truly compete at our level we need to 'hire a proven winner at the level we are playing at' as the guy says.   That means that brining in a G5 coach, a DC/OC will mean that the coach will have a learning curve jumping up to the Big 10 conference. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

36 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, I mean, who among us hasn't wanted to kick a kicker from time-to-time? Or at least a punter. Most of us just aren't ever in a position to act on that perfectly normal impulse.

Had a kicker in college we just called "kicker" so that's what he started going by.  He was one the team for 2 yrs and quit (cause he couldn't kick).  Tried to keep his nickname after that.  Had to call him out in a class when he tried to introduce himself as "kicker".  I was like your name is Zack you don't kick anymore.  long story short I wanted to kick that dude all the time.  

When looking at "reported coaches being considered for the Nebraska HC job" do we see any proven great coaches for the current era in college football (one who seem to have the pedigree publicly denied interest, Stoops).  This O'brien guy (according to social media) has quite a cadre of fans who would be happy to pack for him and give him a ride to Lincoln, get him a hotel room, and wave buh-bye from O Street as they head happily back home. 

10 hours ago, admo said:

I'm sorry, but Bill o'brien sucks as head coach running a program and has not shown any loyalty.  Why would you have faith in him and give him the keys, especially to Nebraska?

Don't be dumb or fooled.

BOB coaching history :hmmph  (Maybe we do need to get burned again)

1993    Brown (TE)
1994    Brown (ILB)
1995–1997    Georgia Tech (GA)
1998–2000    Georgia Tech (RB)
2001–2002    Georgia Tech (OC/QB)
2003–2004    Maryland (RB)
2005–2006    Duke (OC/QB)
2007    New England Patriots (OA)
2008    New England Patriots (WR)
2009–2010    New England Patriots (QB)
2011    New England Patriots (OC/QB)
2012–2013    Penn State (HC)
2014–2020    Houston Texans (HC)
2021–present    Alabama (OC/QB)

• Fire 1

Lance Leipold addresses the rumors. Says his focus is building KU into a winner for the long haul. But doesn't say he would not be a candidate for another job either.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/nebraska-coaching-search-lance-leipold-addresses-rumors-linking-him-to-other-jobs/

“Just like anything, I think you have to stay in the moment, be where your feet are at,” Leipold said, per Jayhawk Slant. “You know, my wife, Kelly and I we came to Lawrence, Kansas, not to move at this stage of our career. It’s flattering. Like you said, it’s early, it’s early in the season. But our focus is trying to build the Kansas Jayhawks into a winner and a consistent winner for the long haul.”