Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Combining the regular class and transfers... it's not that much of a fantasy. The dude would recruit 5 stars and get them. 

The recruiting class this year will end up being huge.

You said Urban would get 40 4 or 5 star players in a single year. Getting 40 players is a pretty big stretch already, but thinking they're all going to be 4 and 5 star players is absolute fantasy.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

It might be a slight stretch, but I have to imagine he would tell 15-20 guys to leave the program. It's a lot of open schollies. 

You guys love throwing these massive assumptions out there with zero comps. This has never happened. Nobody has ever had a transfer class comprised of 40 blue chip prospects. None of this has any basis in reality.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I didn't want to spin up a new thread tho perhaps this topic warrants it.  I think a big factor in the coaching search, along with the actual coaching pool we're pulling from, is who we're going up against.  Those saying we shoulda canned frosty last year are forgetting we probably would've been 6th-10th on the list of school openings, making the competition for coaches extremely tough.

While its still very early, I am optimistic that our competition this year is actually very favorable.  The only job I could forsee that would immediately be more attractive than us would be when the Auburn job becomes available.

Do any others come to mind?  While a&M seems to have the potential of imploding based off their start, I do not see Jimbo getting the axe given his extension.  What other major programs do you see us going up against?

Couple that might happen/we know of already:

UCLA if they boot Chip

While highly unlikely, ND moving away from Marcus Freeman if they nose dive (Cal is not a good team)

Auburn- almost canned their coach last year, weird storylines surrounding that situation

Arizona State- Frankly, I don't think we need to be concerned here.  Have a hard time seeing any high caliber coach going to the Pac12 against USC and the unknown future conf security

Wisconsin- Is there a mutual exit of Christ and Wisc if they fall apart?  While theres been success, it seems like this pairing has had a weird element to it at times

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Then I'd say Les Miles or Mark Richt or Dan Mullen. We can go back and forth on this all day and in the end just find out that its a crap shoot and there is no single thing that points to a good coach. It makes it easier to eliminate coaches because X type of coach never works, but there is always examples of where it did and didnt work. Id be perfectly happy with Meyer but there is a small chance that he flops because what happened in Jacksonville is really not comparable to what happened with Saban. Meyer is an a$$h@!e, fine who cares, but that works when he has next man up at every position. That didnt work in the NFL and its not a guarantee it works here. 

Look through the top 25 and its just a mix of proven coaches, g5 coaches, position coaches, and the ones no one wants to talk about, the super long play coaches like Mark Stoops or Mike Gundy. 

Mark Richt has Parkinson’s. Not sure if he would want to coach. 

27 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I didn't want to spin up a new thread tho perhaps this topic warrants it.  I think a big factor in the coaching search, along with the actual coaching pool we're pulling from, is who we're going up against.  Those saying we shoulda canned frosty last year are forgetting we probably would've been 6th-10th on the list of school openings, making the competition for coaches extremely tough.

While its still very early, I am optimistic that our competition this year is actually very favorable.  The only job I could forsee that would immediately be more attractive than us would be when the Auburn job becomes available.

Do any others come to mind?  While a&M seems to have the potential of imploding based off their start, I do not see Jimbo getting the axe given his extension.  What other major programs do you see us going up against?

UCLA if they boot Chip

While highly unlikely, ND moving away from Marcus Freeman if they nose dive (Cal is not a good team)

Auburn- almost canned their coach last year, weird storylines surrounding that situation

Arizona State- Frankly, I don't think we need to be concerned here.  Have a hard time seeing any high caliber coach going to the Pac12 against USC and the unknown future conf security

Wisconsin- Is there a mutual exit of Christ and Wisc if they fall apart?  While theres been success, it seems like this pairing has had a weird element to it at times

ASU is already open.  Others that more than likely will come open are Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Colorado.

Auburn is probably higher on the pecking order than we are.  But they have an INSANE booster culture and I am guessing our candidate lists won't really overlap.

We should be quite a bit ahead of ASU, GT, and Colorado due to that sweet B1G $$$.

I would rank the jobs:

Auburn

Nebraska

Arizona St

Georgia Tech

Colorado

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

UCLA if they boot Chip

Funny I was just talking about this with someone. To put the shoe on the other foot, so to speak, if I'm Urban Meyer, NU is by far my best option and it's not really even close. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but none of the rest of that list does anything for me. There's not a blue blood in the bunch. Auburn? He wouldn't even have the best program in the state, let alone the SEC. Same with UCLA. ND isn't bailing on Freeman after just one year. aTm isn't bailing on Fisher yet, they'd have to pay him a gazillion dollars and his best players are all freshmen. Wisconsin and Arizona State? Meh. 

51 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

UCLA if they boot Chip

We should hire Chip if he is fired, and bring in his old OC from Oregon as well.  I remember they used to score a lot!

• Haha 2

I feel like these are the two biggest variables for the next guy:

1. Who he's most likely to bring in as coordinators.

2. Recruiting history weighted against the program's location/previous recruiting prowess.

I'm putting "who he's bringing in as coordinators" as the highest priority just because of what we've seen post-Solich.

The Big 12 is sort of notorious the past several seasons of not being as heavy on defense and more focused on spread offense and boat-racing the other team. I think Campbell is probably the guy, but I'm really worried about not putting the right emphasis on defense - just like Frost & Riley did.

But I think the job in Lincoln is a big promotion for him, regardless of what the national pundits say. So if he's motivated, maybe his arm can be twisted into bringing in a big(ger) name D coordinator.

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I get where you are coming from but Nebraska has to hit it right on the hire. Right now the fan base is torn between trying to go get a proven winner or giving a head coach around these parts a chance with better resources or a coordinator with no head coaching experience. If its such a struggle now with the fans you can only imagine how it's going to be when the name is announced. This decision either makes or breaks Nebraska. 

Yeah i def think its a crucial hire and I want Trev to examine every possibility and not settle. I also think an 8 to 7 win season or even just making a bowl maybe next year with a new coach where we look like a competent team and the fan base would be absolutely fired up. Hell we took a 5 win season by Frost as progress one year, and that wasnt just the fans. There was a lot of national media buzz that we were one step away.  I dont think there is a single fan that hasnt been begging for just a well coached team that doesnt embarrass us most weeks. 

3 hours ago, presidentjlh said:

I'm out on Bill O Brien as I've thought about it. All we have for him regarding college HC experience is two years at Penn State. Went 8-4 and 7-5. Granted, this is somewhat impressive considering it was right after the Sandusky awfulness, but I want someone proven to succeed at the college HC level.

I live in the heart of SEC country and I’ve seen all the coordinators come and go from Bama over the years. Their fans are very knowledgeable and can generally tell the good ones from the bad ones. All I know is that they can’t stand O’Brien and would love for us to take him.