Who should our next HC be?

22 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

My top 5 +1

1. Dave Aranda

I can’t say it enough how much I’d love to have Aranda.  Checks all boxes needed for what we want.  Has p5 coaching experience in Multiple power 5 conferences.  Proven program builder.  Strong defensive mind.  Maybe he comes to greener pastures into the big10?  Big buyout though. :mellow:

Rest of your list aside, where are you getting the bold?   From all accounts, Rhule built Baylor, Aranda, came in struggled during Covid, but is doing fine now.  Not sure I see proven program builder based on where he's been.   Could he work here?  Probably.   I'd give him good odds, but he's a risk.  A risk I'm comfortable taking, but I don't see him as being the top choice for TA.   Personally, I'd like to see a little more HC experience and show he can maintain a program that is on the upswing.   And, IMO, he hasn't shown he can build a program.   I'd put him in the B+ range on my list.

2 minutes ago, sho said:

Rest of your list aside, where are you getting the bold?   From all accounts, Rhule built Baylor, Aranda, came in struggled during Covid, but is doing fine now.  Not sure I see proven program builder based on where he's been.   Could he work here?  Probably.   I'd give him good odds, but he's a risk.  A risk I'm comfortable taking, but I don't see him as being the top choice for TA.   Personally, I'd like to see a little more HC experience and show he can maintain a program that is on the upswing.   And, IMO, he hasn't shown he can build a program.   I'd put him in the B+ range on my list.

Then who is on your A+ range or A range? Im not attacking you but I do like Aranda as well bc he at least won a conference championship at a power 5 program.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The hypocrisy among Nebraska fans is unreal. Some of the things Osborne condoned during his tenure were worse than anything Urban did, yet he’s revered throughout the state as a man of great character and integrity :lol:

When you have the power to ban weed and gambling it’s easy to whitewash your moral character 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Then who is on your A+ range or A range? Im not attacking you but I do like Aranda as well bc he at least won a conference championship at a power 5 program.

A+ hire for me, for football only Urban.  I don't want Urban here because I think he's the a used car salesman in the worst imaginable ways.   But he's the most proven coach that is available and I think he would win big here.   I would feel like gross having him as the coach though.   Best way I could describe it, as a basketball fan, I am not a fan of Lebron, don't like his style of play or his hype.   Don't like him at all, I will begrudgingly cheer him on now that he's on my team and got us a ring, but as soon as he's gone, I'm going to start hating him again.  That's how I feel about Urban.  Don't like him, don't want him, and I'll hate him as soon as he leaves, but he's the best hire out there right now, and I'll want him to be successful here, but it won't feel right.

A hires - Matt Rhule, multiple stops building a program.   Mike Gundy, built OSU to where they are now and proven he can maintain success and develop talent. 

A- hires - Matt Campbell, great at maximizing talent, can build programs, think his ceiling is lower than those listed above.  Chris Klieman--maintained the NDSU program, and is doing good things at KSU.   Not sure on his ceiling, but he's a darn good coach.

B+ hires - Aranda, Narduzzi, Chadwell   All have a lot of positives, but as many question marks, IMO

B hires - Phil Parker, is he ready?  Potentially, do I want that risk?  No.   BoB - had moderate success at PSU, and was good at Houston until he tried to be GM too.  Lance Liepold, doesn't move the needle, but with the right staff, he could do well.   These guys just don't excite the fan base or potential recruits, but it'll be about the staff they could bring with them

F hire - Chucky

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Does getting close to 60 make it ok to kick a player or look the other way when your assistant coach is acting completely out of line?

No it doesn’t, but that’s a red herring…I was talking about slut shaming.

Kicking, acting bewildered, and sniffing girl’s hair could be signs of senility.

5 minutes ago, sho said:

A+ hire for me, for football only Urban.  I don't want Urban here because I think he's the a used car salesman in the worst imaginable ways.   But he's the most proven coach that is available and I think he would win big here.   I would feel like gross having him as the coach though.   Best way I could describe it, as a basketball fan, I am not a fan of Lebron, don't like his style of play or his hype.   Don't like him at all, I will begrudgingly cheer him on now that he's on my team and got us a ring, but as soon as he's gone, I'm going to start hating him again.  That's how I feel about Urban.  Don't like him, don't want him, and I'll hate him as soon as he leaves, but he's the best hire out there right now, and I'll want him to be successful here, but it won't feel right.

A hires - Matt Rhule, multiple stops building a program.   Mike Gundy, built OSU to where they are now and proven he can maintain success and develop talent. 

A- hires - Matt Campbell, great at maximizing talent, can build programs, think his ceiling is lower than those listed above.  Chris Klieman--maintained the NDSU program, and is doing good things at KSU.   Not sure on his ceiling, but he's a darn good coach.

B+ hires - Aranda, Narduzzi, Chadwell   All have a lot of positives, but as many question marks, IMO

B hires - Phil Parker, is he ready?  Potentially, do I want that risk?  No.   BoB - had moderate success at PSU, and was good at Houston until he tried to be GM too.  Lance Liepold, doesn't move the needle, but with the right staff, he could do well.   These guys just don't excite the fan base or potential recruits, but it'll be about the staff they could bring with them

F hire - Chucky

I and a whole lotta others don't feel that Matt Campbell would bring inspiration to the program in the sense you could see real progress within the first 2 seasons. Most of us feel it would be a slow rebuild and bc of that Husker fans are tired of that.

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I and a whole lotta others don't feel that Matt Campbell would bring inspiration to the program in the sense you could see real progress within the first 2 seasons. Most of us feel it would be a slow rebuild and bc of that Husker fans are tired of that.

I can see that concern with him, I personally don't have that fear, but I can see why it's there.   I could see him maxing out at a Bo level, without being an a-hole.   Not sure that's good enough.  But I could also see him being 10+ wins a season guy here and the fans jumping on board.   I waffle on where I see his ceiling, could he be a Bo, or could he be another TO?   Bo where you have good success, but just can't get over the hump to great or TO where you consistently have good and sprinkle in great every few years.   I could make the argument both ways, and why he's down to an A- hire for me.

Also, i think any coach worth his salt will be able to have success here within the first two seasons and will excite the fan base.   The talent, on paper is here, the development was not, and more importantly the attention to detail has been missing for some time.  The coaches I have listed all have the skills to be successful in that timeframe.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, sho said:

I can see that concern with him, I personally don't have that fear, but I can see why it's there.   I could see him maxing out at a Bo level, without being an a-hole.   Not sure that's good enough.  But I could also see him being 10+ wins a season guy here and the fans jumping on board.   I waffle on where I see his ceiling, could he be a Bo, or could he be another TO?   Bo where you have good success, but just can't get over the hump to great or TO where you consistently have good and sprinkle in great every few years.   I could make the argument both ways, and why he's down to an A- hire for me.

Also, i think any coach worth his salt will be able to have success here within the first two seasons and will excite the fan base.   The talent, on paper is here, the development was not, and more importantly the attention to detail has been missing for some time.  The coaches I have listed all have the skills to be successful in that timeframe.

I'd be shocked if he made it to the level of either one. I see him maxing out at 7/8 wins a year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd be shocked if he made it to the level of either one. I see him maxing out at 7/8 wins a year.

TBH, I think any good coach should be at the Bo level as the floor here.   I think Campbell is a good coach.   Nebraska, even with our recent struggles, has consistently pulled in top 25/30 talent.   We have absolutely dropped the ball on player development.   I know you are not high on Campbell, and it'll really be on his staff, but I don't think we will drop with him in recruiting, I do think we will improve with player development and consistency.   That alone should get us to 8-9 wins every year.   I agree with your concern that I don't know if he puts us over the top with coaches like Ferentz or Fleck, but I think he puts us to that level at least.  And that will be good enough for 8-9 wins yearly and will sprinkle in a loss in the championship game every now and then.

• Plus1 1

I keep watching everyone outside of Nebraska talk about no coach should take the job bc of how bad we have been? Does that mean bc they feel that since we haven't competed for a long time it can't be done or bc we suck we don't have the right to choose and go after any good coach?? I know that Nebraska still has a brand but do you think that Nebraska still resonates with coaches about greatness here or we suck no thank you pass?