Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Your post is an even bigger joke than the original post...which is saying something.

A) Deion could kill it here and is exactly what Nebraska needs. He's much more than just a celebrity. He's punching way above his weight at Jackson State.

B) "Urban will have jobs that are better fits for him?" Name one.

Calling these two celebrities isn’t to demean them, it’s to highlight how some fans are going about this search. It’d be similar to asking for Saban. Big name, obviously great coach, but not realistic and only brought up because they’re well known.

Sanders is doing great and is at a college he wants to be at for non-football purposes. Why would he want to come here?

Same with Urban, why would he want to come here? You want to know a better job for him? Nearly any that will be open. We have a strikingly bad setup: large spotlight, big expectations, starting with bare cupboards with less than ideal resources. He might he mail by more money at ESPN than he’d make here, and he has no ties to Nebraska, geographical or otherwise. Literally why would he come here?

It seems there’s a good chance we could not even sway Lance from freaking Kansas if we wanted to.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Yeah, Sanders is doing great and is at a college he wants to be at for Bob-football purposes. Why would he want to come here?

Same with Urban, why would he want to come here? You want to know a better job for him? Nearly any that will be open. We have a strikingly bad setup: large spotlight, gift expectations, starting with care cupboards with less than ideal resources.

calling these two celebrities isn’t to demean them, it’s to highlight how some fans are going about this search. It’d be similar to asking for Saban. Big name, obviously great coach, but not realistic and only brought up because they’re well known.

It seems there’s a good chance we could not even sway Lance from freaking Kansas if we wanted to.

Not even remotely close to asking for Saban. He's set at Alabama.

Urban isn't coaching and if he wants to coach again, there's not a better job in the country.

Deion is coaching in the SWAC and living in Jackson, Mississippi where they barely have indoor plumbing. He's on record as wanting to coach at a higher level.

Nebraska is one of a handful of blue blood football program and highly likely to be the only one with a head coaching opening this year. We don't have any less than ideal resources or any higher expectations than any other blue blood program. Guys like Urban and Deion understand and thrive in that kind of environment.

• Haha 2

Bro, nobody cares that we were a good team a 50-25 years ago. No functioning adult is going to give that weight when making a large career choice.

It’s best if we as fans understand what we offer candidates now. It’s not pretty, but it is better than you getting upset when we don’t hire Meyer, the OP when we don’t hire Sanders, or when we can’t even inquire into Saban (because yes, I’ve seen multiple Nebraska fans ask for us to contact him).

I like what Deion is doing as a coach, but his sales pitch to good recruits at Jackson St is different (and more effective) than what he would be able to sell at Nebraska. At Jackson St he is able to sell a quality education at an HBCU with tight-knit community and a supportive environment for black players, which is very different than recruiting at a P5 school. Add in the cool flashiness of playing for Prime Time, and the availability of NIL money even at a lower division, and he has a recipe for recruiting success. I have a hard time seeing him be able to sell the same concepts at a school like Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Cigarman said:

And yet when we hired whipple with a longer and less successful resume we had fans drooling over him. 

IMO, he was a desperate hire, not even a fit for what Scott was doing. Mixing a spread offense with the WCO is laughable. I was pretty disappointed with the hire. I felt like it was throwing darts and hoping you hit something good. Nothing personal towards Whipple, just not really a good fit at all. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

Dave Aranda is an absolute madman. 

Here he is ( FOR 10 HOURS!!!!!) just sitting down with a coaches clinic in front of a whiteboard in a windowless room just going in on defensive schemes and ideas. 

Would be my very first choice if I didn't think he has plans to take over the world in the next 5 years. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

The idea of Deion Sanders in a recruit's living room in a farm house in the panhandle is inspiring 

Hahaha Yeah, because the farm houses in the panhandle are loaded with 5 star recruits.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I like what Deion is doing as a coach, but his sales pitch to good recruits at Jackson St is different (and more effective) than what he would be able to sell at Nebraska. At Jackson St he is able to sell a quality education at an HBCU with tight-knit community and a supportive environment for black players, which is very different than recruiting at a P5 school. Add in the cool flashiness of playing for Prime Time, and the availability of NIL money even at a lower division, and he has a recipe for recruiting success. I have a hard time seeing him be able to sell the same concepts at a school like Nebraska.

He’s Deion effin Sanders. He’s getting into any living room he wants to get in, anywhere in the country. And literally everything he can sell at Jackson State (minus the all black thing) he can sell at Nebraska x100.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Hahaha Yeah, because the farm houses in the panhandle are loaded with 5 star recruits.

He’s Deion effin Sanders. He’s getting into any living room he wants to get in, anywhere in the country. And literally everything he can sell at Jackson State (minus the all black thing) he can sell at Nebraska x100.

Let my dream live!