Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

We have a strikingly bad setup: large spotlight, big expectations, starting with bare cupboards with less than ideal resources. He might he mail by more money at ESPN than he’d make here, and he has no ties to Nebraska, geographical or otherwise. Literally why would he come here?

It seems there’s a good chance we could not even sway Lance from freaking Kansas if we wanted to.

What about our "setup" is strikingly bad?  We are in the weaker of 2 divisions in one of the 2 best conferences in existence.  We are the only team of note in the state so have zero competition which leads to the best fan attendance in the nation.  We are close to completing an amazing facility upgrade.  We have a gob of donors ready to throw millions at the team for NIL.  We are in the top 10% for Local businesses support of players individually with NIL.  Our expectations are the lowest they have been in recorded history.  Our fans would literally be thrilled with 7-5 and a bowl game.  An argument can be made for bare cupboards but it definitely isn't any worse than what he would find at Arizona or any of the other schools with current openings.  And, now that NIL & transfers are easy, that makes that point fairly moot.

As to whether we can get Lance away from Kansas, I hope we don't get an answer to that question.  My guess is we can have him if we want him but I am really hoping for a higher caliber coach.    

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Slow yer Roll said:

I would rather float in the black abyss of failure.......for eternity.......than have to look at a grown a$$ middle aged man wearing a flat brim hat.

Seems like you are out of touch with reality. Nebraska needs someone COMPLETELY different to attract out of state players, AKA the Talent. Nebraska needs someone that doesn't look like Billy Bob from your local farm. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Not even remotely close to asking for Saban. He's set at Alabama.

Urban isn't coaching and if he wants to coach again, there's not a better job in the country.

Deion is coaching in the SWAC and living in Jackson, Mississippi where they barely have indoor plumbing. He's on record as wanting to coach at a higher level.

Nebraska is one of a handful of blue blood football program and highly likely to be the only one with a head coaching opening this year. We don't have any less than ideal resources or any higher expectations than any other blue blood program. Guys like Urban and Deion understand and thrive in that kind of environment.

If you continue to say the bolded, does it eventually make it true?  While it might be premature, if Sark doesn't get it turned around at Texas they might have an opening.  Texas is a better job than Nebraska.  Notre Dame might be looking to make a change as well, and I would say it is a better job than Nebraska.  Urban has already turned Notre Dame down once before when he accepted the job at Florida.  Urban is a very opportunistic coach.  He chose Florida over Notre Dame because Zook left Florida with a lot of athletic talent.  Plus, the SEC then wasn't the SEC now.  The SEC had only won two NCs the previous decade when Urban started at Florida.  Tennessee had already fallen on hard times, and LSU didn't have Saban any longer.  The conference was primed for a coach to take over.  The same can be said about the B1G when Urban started at Ohio State.  Ohio State was loaded with talent, and there weren't any big time coaches in the conference.  This is what makes Nebraska quite a bit different than his last two jobs in college football.  We aren't exactly stacked with talent, and we're not in a recruiting hotbed like Florida or Ohio.  While Nebraska might be a better job than most, there are still several jobs better than Nebraska.  If Urban is looking for redemption, I wouldn't be shocked to see him take a job of the west coast.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Nebraska's working with the same search firm that helped USC land Lincoln Riley, FYI

The more I've read about and thought about it, I doubt luring Riley away from OU to USC was that big of a challenge.  Apparently, the OU boosters and such weren't really interested in opening up the purse strings for Riley while he was at OU.  This has now changed with Venebles.  I'm also quite sure Riley wanted absolutely no part of the SEC.  I have a gut feeling OU will do about as well in the SEC as Nebraska has done in the B1G.  Riley seems to be a younger version of Urban in that he's a very opportunistic coach.  The Pac is primed for the taking in terms of top notched coaches.  California has a lot of talent.  Even when USC joins the B1G, they really only have to deal with one maybe two big dogs.  

• Plus1 1

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that we're to hold Bill O'Brien's job hopping against him while people are clamoring for Lane Kiffin?  I realize I haven't seen Kiffin's name come up much in the last few days, but his name popped up right after Frost was fired.  I really don't want to see either one of them on the Nebraska sideline next year.  

17 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And which search firm is that? How many search firms are out there? Is there one that stands out(reputation) more then the rest?? How do you know that its the same search firm please do share

I literally linked to their website. Parker, CSA, and Eastman are the three I know of that are solid. Most ADs with experience just do it themselves and use independent guys they contract to conduct the searches.

13 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The more I've read about and thought about it, I doubt luring Riley away from OU to USC was that big of a challenge.  Apparently, the OU boosters and such weren't really interested in opening up the purse strings for Riley while he was at OU.  

To keep a hire like that a complete secret in the current media market is a massive accomplishment. Not only that, but they have the blueprint to do so.

To your second point, it's also not like OU was a poverty program. Dude had it relatively made there and could have flirted with other jobs to get his way, which is what these guys typically do.

ADs/Media guys all agree that it was a huge deal, especially in the way it went down. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it had as much basis as Lane Kiffin to NU, for example.