Who should our next HC be?

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I found this funny from Sipple on Sharp & Benning.

When asked about the Feldman report and his thoughts on the search, Sipple said: "I'm not really trying to find out exactly what's going on because its so early... It doesn't make sense for me to pour energy into it each day"

Guy is out there grinding for us every day!

• Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I literally linked to their website. Parker, CSA, and Eastman are the three I know of that are solid. Most ADs with experience just do it themselves and use independent guys they contract to conduct the searches.

To keep a hire like that a complete secret in the current media market is a massive accomplishment. Not only that, but they have the blueprint to do so.

To your second point, it's also not like OU was a poverty program. Dude had it relatively made there and could have flirted with other jobs to get his way, which is what these guys typically do.

ADs/Media guys all agree that it was a huge deal, especially in the way it went down. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it had as much basis as Lane Kiffin to NU, for example.

According to the local sports writers for the program, the bolded just isn't correct.  For whatever reason, Riley was having a lot of trouble getting the things he wanted/needed financial support for.  A lot of them even said that Riley moving on might have been the best thing long term for the OU program because the boosters and such have finally stepped up and opened the purse strings.    

51 minutes ago, unl7fan said:

Seems like you are out of touch with reality. Nebraska needs someone COMPLETELY different to attract out of state players, AKA the Talent. Nebraska needs someone that doesn't look like Billy Bob from your local farm. 

Recruiting hasn't been our problem.  Development and coaching have.

2018 - 4th in the B1G and 1st in the west

2019 - 4th in the B1G and 1st in the west

2020 - 4th in the B1G and 1st in the west

2021 - 5th in the B1G and 2nd in the west

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists/big-ten-football-recruiting-rankings-for-last-ten-years-ohio-state-buckeyes/

Recruiting to have someone completely different is what lead to Mike Riley.  If Deon had decent experience, I would be all for him.  He doesn't have remotely close to a qualifying resume so in my eyes, he would be a massive gamble.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Deion has been an FCS coach for just over two years. Give him time at an FBS school, preferable P5, and some success there before we consider hiring him.

The last thing Nebraska needs is another coach with very little FBS experience. 

I feel like many people feel this way about a few coaches and have felt the same way in the past and then that coach gets hired somewhere else and lights it up.  Then everyone is saying we should have hired that guy.  Sometimes you have to take that chance.  

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I feel like many people feel this way about a few coaches and have felt the same way in the past and then that coach gets hired somewhere else and lights it up.  Then everyone is saying we should have hired that guy.  Sometimes you have to take that chance.  

We just did. And it didn't work out. How many more times should we try that experiment instead of hiring a proven program-builder? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, admo said:

Mickey Joseph is my guy.  I'm all in.  I don't care about all these other future big payday buyout turds. 

If you could win at Nebraska, you would already be there.

#Team Mickey

Come at me

:HotTake:

I will say that no other coach has the opportunity to put out the NU dumpster fire in real-time while we watch. 

Mickey has an 8 game audition. I don't have a win total in mind, but I'm open to being impressed. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We just did. And it didn't work out. How many more times should we try that experiment instead of hiring a proven program-builder? 

Plus 1.  But that keeps bumping up against the fact that Nebraska fielded an African American Head Coach for any sport for the first time when we fielded Micky Joseph.  Startling and shameful, especially in a sport wherein about half the players are Black (seems to depend on whose stats we look at, could be 67% and could be 42%, etc).  Nebraska does seem to have a race problem when it comes to football coaches (perhaps basketball as well).  "Proven" coaches are those who have been in environments where they could flourish, from their bosses to their assistants and their players.  Rare for a Black coach with the notable exception of schools in the UNCF universe or other schools that receive support akin to some sort of affirmative action. 

I think that our AD and Regents should be looking long and hard at those facts.  Perhaps they are, it's been brought up.  Of course they run into the "reverse" racism noise once they begin openly a process of seeking a Black Head Coach.  Well, tough luck, in my opinion;  it's too overdue for White people to pretend like they have not been represented as college football Head Coaches. 

Deion Sanders does come to mind, as upward mobile in his career.  But what grinds me about him is his seeming lack of a center;  he's got irons in all sorts of fires, including singing, acting, and other endeavors.  Would he be fully focused on what we need here?

Lovie Smith is a bit long in the tooth, and has left college coaching.

Tony Elliot?  Marcus Freeman?  Stan Drayton?