Who should our next HC be?

Since Urban likely isn’t coming, I’m switching to Team Aranda for now (I’m sure someone will tell me why he’s not coming either).  But I reserve the right to shift on a daily basis.  I think we can hopefully all agree that whoever Trev gets will be a significant upgrade over fHCSF.  

It’s not a stretch to say that if Trev finds the right guy, Trev could end up being considered the greatest Husker AD of our lifetimes. 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We just did. And it didn't work out. How many more times should we try that experiment instead of hiring a proven program-builder? 

uh they tried it once and it was only because it was Scott Frost.  Riley was a "proven" program builder.  Either way people have said oh he built that program at a lower level and then built that other program in the PAC 10... thats not the same as the BIG.  so cant really win any way you slice it.  Urban Myer is the only coach that fits that bill and people are crying about his ethics.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Since Urban likely isn’t coming, I’m switching to Team Aranda for now (I’m sure someone will tell me why he’s not coming either).  But I reserve the right to shift on a daily basis.  I think we can hopefully all agree that whoever Trev gets will be a significant upgrade over fHCSF.  

It’s not a stretch to say that if Trev finds the right guy, Trev could end up being considered the greatest Husker AD of our lifetimes. 

Its not set in stone that Urban Meyer isn't coming just yet. I will hold out hope he is still on our radar.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not set in stone that Urban Meyer isn't coming just yet. I will hold out hope he is still on our radar.

I know.  I’m just not getting my hopes up because of being used to us not getting nice things.  But, by a long way, he would bring the most excitement to me compared to anyone else.  People complain about this and that about him,  but the guy knows how to win with talent.  And if he came here, he would bring in a good staff and talented players.  

19 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Plus 1.  But that keeps bumping up against the fact that Nebraska fielded an African American Head Coach for any sport for the first time when we fielded Micky Joseph.  Startling and shameful, especially in a sport wherein about half the players are Black (seems to depend on whose stats we look at, could be 67% and could be 42%, etc).  Nebraska does seem to have a race problem when it comes to football coaches (perhaps basketball as well).  "Proven" coaches are those who have been in environments where they could flourish, from their bosses to their assistants and their players.  Rare for a Black coach with the notable exception of schools in the UNCF universe or other schools that receive support akin to some sort of affirmative action. 

I think that our AD and Regents should be looking long and hard at those facts.  Perhaps they are, it's been brought up.  Of course they run into the "reverse" racism noise once they begin openly a process of seeking a Black Head Coach.  Well, tough luck, in my opinion;  it's too overdue for White people to pretend like they have not been represented as college football Head Coaches. 

Deion Sanders does come to mind, as upward mobile in his career.  But what grinds me about him is his seeming lack of a center;  he's got irons in all sorts of fires, including singing, acting, and other endeavors.  Would he be fully focused on what we need here?

Lovie Smith is a bit long in the tooth, and has left college coaching.

Tony Elliot?  Marcus Freeman?  Stan Drayton? 

To the bolded, are you kidding me?  Tell me throughout each of the coaching changes Nebraska made where there was a minority coach that was passed over.  If one really thinks logically about this, we'd more than likely have a minority coach had Pud not screwed everything up.  I have no doubt that Turner Gill was the next head coach in waiting when Solich was here.  

I wouldn't have a problem with Deion being named our next head coach, but it has absolutely nothing to do with his race.  He would bring immediate interest in the program.  I would argue he could very well bring more player interest to the program than Urban could.  He is a bit lacking in experience, but I don't think he should be overlooked because of it.  

• Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I know.  I’m just not getting my hopes up because of being used to us not getting nice things.  But, by a long way, he would bring the most excitement to me compared to anyone else.  People complain about this and that about him,  but the guy knows how to win with talent.  And if he came here, he would bring in a good staff and talented players.  

Im right with you!!!!!  Other then Urban Meyer and Aranda not much excitement for other candidates. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

If you continue to say the bolded, does it eventually make it true?  While it might be premature, if Sark doesn't get it turned around at Texas they might have an opening.  Texas is a better job than Nebraska.  Notre Dame might be looking to make a change as well, and I would say it is a better job than Nebraska.  Urban has already turned Notre Dame down once before when he accepted the job at Florida.  Urban is a very opportunistic coach.  He chose Florida over Notre Dame because Zook left Florida with a lot of athletic talent.  Plus, the SEC then wasn't the SEC now.  The SEC had only won two NCs the previous decade when Urban started at Florida.  Tennessee had already fallen on hard times, and LSU didn't have Saban any longer.  The conference was primed for a coach to take over.  The same can be said about the B1G when Urban started at Ohio State.  Ohio State was loaded with talent, and there weren't any big time coaches in the conference.  This is what makes Nebraska quite a bit different than his last two jobs in college football.  We aren't exactly stacked with talent, and we're not in a recruiting hotbed like Florida or Ohio.  While Nebraska might be a better job than most, there are still several jobs better than Nebraska.  If Urban is looking for redemption, I wouldn't be shocked to see him take a job of the west coast.

Sark is in year 2 and just signed the best quarterback recruit in like the history of ever. Freeman is in year one. Short of either of them having some sort of off the field scandal or getting hired away by a better program (which also doesn't exist), Sark and Freeman aren't going anywhere this year. Period.

West coast like who? UCLA which isn't even the best program in town, let alone the state of Californa or the west coast. Oregon? Lanning is in year one, so see above. Washington? DeBoer is in year one and looks to be doing just fine.

So, again, name a better program even remotely likely to have an opening.