Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I feel like many people feel this way about a few coaches and have felt the same way in the past and then that coach gets hired somewhere else and lights it up.  Then everyone is saying we should have hired that guy.  Sometimes you have to take that chance.  

Yep, outside of Urban, the rest of the realistic list is just hopeful prospect up-and-comers. I don't see Deion as much less of an up-and-comer prospect than anyone else on the list. Sure, his head coaching experience is at a slightly lower level, but not by much. Let's not act like Iowa State, Kansas and the like are some college football juggernauts compared to Jackson State. They all suck. But none of those guys is Deion effin Sanders. And Deion is recruiting at a much higher level for Jackson State than most/all of the others. Look at last year's national recruiting rankings (per 247Sports)...

#55 Jackson State

#59 Iowa State

#63 Kansas

2 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

Nebraska's working with the same search firm that helped USC land Lincoln Riley, FYI

Scroll down to see some of their other placements. Lot of good names. Also pretty promising that none of the ADs placed oversee any head coaches we'd be looking to hire.

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/previous-placements/

Outside of Lincoln Riley, Luke Fickell, and maybe Jeff Traylor...meh.

2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Sark is in year 2 and just signed the best quarterback recruit in like the history of ever. Freeman is in year one. Short of either of them having some sort of off the field scandal or getting hired away by a better program (which also doesn't exist), Sark and Freeman aren't going anywhere this year. Period.

West coast like who? UCLA which isn't even the best program in town, let alone the state of Californa or the west coast. Oregon? Lanning is in year one, so see above.

So, again, name a better program even remotely likely to have an opening.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying.  I thought you meant there isn't a job out there better than Nebraska.  Apparently, you meant there isn't a job that is open that is better than Nebraska.  I really only know of two openings at the moment being Arizona State and Nebraska because we are barely into the season.  Both fired coaches near the beginnings of their fifth year.  Herm Edwards was 26-20 at Arizona State while Frost was 16-31.  Arizona State made it to three bowl games in the past five years while Nebraska has made zero.  I guess it all depends on one's definition of a better program, but to some/many Arizona State might very well look like the better program.  I'm not sure I like our odds for Deion against Arizona State.  

Considering Sark has already been terminated once before during the season, I don't think it's impossible.  I also don't think it's impossible for him to be fired at seasons end if they implode.  Freeman probably doesn't get canned this year.    

1 hour ago, Hagg said:

Plus 1.  But that keeps bumping up against the fact that Nebraska fielded an African American Head Coach for any sport for the first time when we fielded Micky Joseph.  Startling and shameful, especially in a sport wherein about half the players are Black (seems to depend on whose stats we look at, could be 67% and could be 42%, etc).  Nebraska does seem to have a race problem when it comes to football coaches (perhaps basketball as well). 

...please.

Sartling and shameful? Hardly. A little surprising, sure. First, Nebraska is almost entirely white, with less than a 5% population of black folks. Second, we've only had 7 football coaches since the civil rights era, so really not a lot of chances to even try. On that same note a good number of our smaller varsity programs have had the same coaches for decades as well. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I found this funny from Sipple on Sharp & Benning.

When asked about the Feldman report and his thoughts on the search, Sipple said: "I'm not really trying to find out exactly what's going on because its so early... It doesn't make sense for me to pour energy into it each day"

So, pretty much the opposite of me? Got it.

23 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying.  I thought you meant there isn't a job out there better than Nebraska.  Apparently, you meant there isn't a job that is open that is better than Nebraska.  I really only know of two openings at the moment being Arizona State and Nebraska because we are barely into the season.  Both fired coaches near the beginnings of their fifth year.  Herm Edwards was 26-20 at Arizona State while Frost was 16-31.  Arizona State made it to three bowl games in the past five years while Nebraska has made zero.  I guess it all depends on one's definition of a better program, but to some/many Arizona State might very well look like the better program.  I'm not sure I like our odds for Deion against Arizona State.  

Considering Sark has already been terminated once before during the season, I don't think it's impossible.  I also don't think it's impossible for him to be fired at seasons end if they implode.  Freeman probably doesn't get canned this year.    

There's not an available job or likely to be available job this year better than Nebraska. And that's not just me being a homer. Last year was a bad year to be hiring. This year does not appear to be stacking up that way at all.

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

...please.

Sartling and shameful? Hardly. A little surprising, sure. First, Nebraska is almost entirely white, with less than a 5% population of black folks. Second, we've only had 7 football coaches since the civil rights era, so really not a lot of chances to even try. On that same note a good number of our smaller varsity programs have had the same coaches for decades as well. 

like 95% of the 5% live in Omaha

32 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

There's not an available job or likely to be available job this year better than Nebraska. And that's not just me being a homer. Last year was a bad year to be hiring. This year does not appear to be stacking up that way at all.

You do realize when "coaches" make choices on where "they want to coach", there are other intangibles taken into consideration besides facilities right?  Like local schools, local food, local fans, local entertainment, people? I mean there is a reason Lincoln Riley went to USC, and it wasn't because of facilities.  I just think we have one of the most PRIVILEGED fan-bases in ALL OF College Football! So much so it's clouding the minds of regular everyday normal fans about where we are as a program in 2022.