Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, Hagg said:

Plus 1.  But that keeps bumping up against the fact that Nebraska fielded an African American Head Coach for any sport for the first time when we fielded Micky Joseph.  Startling and shameful, especially in a sport wherein about half the players are Black (seems to depend on whose stats we look at, could be 67% and could be 42%, etc).  Nebraska does seem to have a race problem when it comes to football coaches (perhaps basketball as well).  "Proven" coaches are those who have been in environments where they could flourish, from their bosses to their assistants and their players.  Rare for a Black coach with the notable exception of schools in the UNCF universe or other schools that receive support akin to some sort of affirmative action. 

I think that our AD and Regents should be looking long and hard at those facts.  Perhaps they are, it's been brought up.  Of course they run into the "reverse" racism noise once they begin openly a process of seeking a Black Head Coach.  Well, tough luck, in my opinion;  it's too overdue for White people to pretend like they have not been represented as college football Head Coaches. 

Deion Sanders does come to mind, as upward mobile in his career.  But what grinds me about him is his seeming lack of a center;  he's got irons in all sorts of fires, including singing, acting, and other endeavors.  Would he be fully focused on what we need here?

Lovie Smith is a bit long in the tooth, and has left college coaching.

Tony Elliot?  Marcus Freeman?  Stan Drayton? 

Hiring someone specifically based on race is about as extreme as racism gets.  You are way out of line.

There are currently a whopping total of 15 black head coaches in all of the FBS football programs.

View points like yours are the reason this world is so quick to scream racism at the first thing they don't agree with.  It's disgusting really.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, Alamo City Husker said:

You do realize when "coaches" make choices on where "they want to coach", there are other intangibles taken into consideration besides facilities right?  Like local schools, local food, local fans, local entertainment, people? I mean there is a reason Lincoln Riley went to USC, and it wasn't because of facilities.

When did I ever say we were the best job on the market just because of our facilities? Of course there's more to it than that. And, since this is the Deion thread...have you ever been to Jackson, MS? The whole town looks like an episode of The First 48.

I just think we have one of the most PRIVILEGED fan-bases in ALL OF College Football! So much so it's clouding the minds of regular everyday normal fans about where we are as a program in 2022.

No we're not. And I've been around a few. We're right in line with other blue bloods and better than some.

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

There's not an available job or likely to be available job this year better than Nebraska. And that's not just me being a homer. Last year was a bad year to be hiring. This year does not appear to be stacking up that way at all.

I agree with most of your posts in this ridiculous thread but I would put auburn above us if it became available.  Even tho they are 2nd fiddle in their state, they are surrounded by talent everywhere, have been a consistent top program when they have their s#!t together and have won a title in the past decade.  If I look at this from a pure neutral where can I win the quickest with the talent to do so, auburn is more attractive than us

Other than that, agree with everything. 

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

There's not an available job or likely to be available job this year better than Nebraska. And that's not just me being a homer. Last year was a bad year to be hiring. This year does not appear to be stacking up that way at all.

I'm quite sure we have different opinions on better.  If I was an 18-22 year old highly skilled player, I would much rather play and practice in Phoenix, AZ than Lincoln, NE.  Arizona State has had four All Americans in the last decade.  Nebraska has had none.  I would venture to guess Deion would have better recruiting classes at Arizona State than he would have at Nebraska.  

3 hours ago, Toe said:

In his 18 games as OC, they are averaging 41 points - I can see where they would be so upset about his performance.  And who are we really kidding, Saban orchestrates everything there.  It isn't like the guy has free reign.  He calls plays but he is told what to call a lot.  

5 hours ago, M.A. said:

Bill O’Brien is in the bottom half of my top ten. I’d say that we were reaching a bit if hired. 

To be honest I am struggling to even come up with a top 5 I would be happy with.  I am not excited about the potential relocations from Iowa State, Kansas, and Baylor.  All 3 seem like OK hires but nothing I am excited about.  O'Brien fits into that group for me- not exciting but maybe he would do good- idk.  Urban is intriguing- like being at the bar when a hot girl asks you to do a shot of tequila.  It sounds fun, and you know it will feel great for a while but you know what tomorrow is going to bring. 

In the end I'm hoping that the guys who get paid to make these decisions get it right this time.  Whoever that may be, I'll support the team and the new coach.  

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
36 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I agree with most of your posts in this ridiculous thread but I would put auburn above us if it became available.  Even tho they are 2nd fiddle in their state, they are surrounded by talent everywhere, have been a consistent top program when they have their s#!t together and have won a title in the past decade.  If I look at this from a pure neutral where can I win the quickest with the talent to do so, auburn is more attractive than us

Other than that, agree with everything. 

Yeah, I might concede Auburn. Definitely a better geographical/cultural fit for Deion. I just think having to go head-to-head with Alabama & Georgia is a losing proposition right from the jump.

39 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm quite sure we have different opinions on better.  If I was an 18-22 year old highly skilled player, I would much rather play and practice in Phoenix, AZ than Lincoln, NE.  Arizona State has had four All Americans in the last decade.  Nebraska has had none.  I would venture to guess Deion would have better recruiting classes at Arizona State than he would have at Nebraska.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. No way is ASU a better job than Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Alamo City Husker said:

I just think we have one of the most PRIVILEGED fan-bases in ALL OF College Football! So much so it's clouding the minds of regular everyday normal fans about where we are as a program in 2022. 

What? Unless somebody is at this very moment cranking on a meth pipe, you know we're a dumpster fire of a program. Always fascinating to try to figure out what people mean in this context with "privileged."

Lincoln and the entire state sort of eats, breathes, & sleeps Husker football. It's our thing. We spend a s***load of money on it and we care about it.

The fan base is passionate about football and passionate about winning games, always has been. I don't expect to land a good coach just because we won a lot of games 20+ years ago...I expect to land a good coach because it's basic economics and math that we'd be able to.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

To be honest I am struggling to even come up with a top 5 I would be happy with.  I am not excited about the potential relocations from Iowa State, Kansas, and Baylor.  All 3 seem like OK hires but nothing I am excited about.  O'Brien fits into that group for me- not exciting but maybe he would do good- idk.  Urban is intriguing- like being at the bar when a hot girl asks you to do a shot of tequila.  It sounds fun, and you know it will feel great for a while but you know what tomorrow is going to bring. 

In the end I'm hoping that the guys who get paid to make these decisions get it right this time.  Whoever that may be, I'll support the team and the new coach.  

That is such a great analogy.  So funny.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

Nebraska's working with the same search firm that helped USC land Lincoln Riley, FYI

Scroll down to see some of their other placements. Lot of good names. Also pretty promising that none of the ADs placed oversee any head coaches we'd be looking to hire.

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/previous-placements/

Them having Jon Scheyer at Duke listed on their credits tells you all you need to know about these firms. 

8 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Dave Aranda is an absolute madman. 

Here he is ( FOR 10 HOURS!!!!!) just sitting down with a coaches clinic in front of a whiteboard in a windowless room just going in on defensive schemes and ideas. 

Would be my very first choice if I didn't think he has plans to take over the world in the next 5 years. 

7cd9fa08bbe40727c403fcfb649e16bd.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Nope.  One of the worst actually. Many people are saying Trev should be fired for using them.  

Collegiate Sports Associates is the same search firm that conducted the Nebraska AD search that ended up with Trev getting hired. Perhaps Trev is showing loyalty to this company for him getting the AD job?

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/previous-placements/ (Trev's picture is in the 2nd row from the top)