Who should our next HC be?

I'm going to preface this by saying Bill O'Brien wouldn't be my first choice and I don't necessarily want him.

However, it's crazy to read into anything about what Alabama fans want. Of course they want him gone. They've won what, six national titles since 2009? Their expectations are totally out of wack compared to anyone else in the country.

Now, if Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State or Baylor fans wanted their head coach to leave, then that might be something to read into. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

To be honest I am struggling to even come up with a top 5 I would be happy with.  I am not excited about the potential relocations from Iowa State, Kansas, and Baylor.  All 3 seem like OK hires but nothing I am excited about.  O'Brien fits into that group for me- not exciting but maybe he would do good- idk.  Urban is intriguing- like being at the bar when a hot girl asks you to do a shot of tequila.  It sounds fun, and you know it will feel great for a while but you know what tomorrow is going to bring. 

In the end I'm hoping that the guys who get paid to make these decisions get it right this time.  Whoever that may be, I'll support the team and the new coach.  

Wait, what is the next morning brining? Morning blow? I’m in, gimme urban, I mean the hot girl, actually gimme both!

• Haha 3
  • TBH 1
47 minutes ago, Pennhusker said:

Everybody in the nation knew, i agree. O’brien sat there in a press conference and claimed he had no idea sanctions were coming….why i don’t want him at nebraska. Man has no class, no loyalty and sucks as a coach. You do remember him claiming he didn’t know they would get sanctioned?

Aye wtf r u talking about. Guy took that job when we all knew sanctions were gonna get dropped and he still had winning record there. If anything his move was the exact opposite of your bs characterization of the guy. Few would take that job given the circumstances yet he took it and didn’t a pretty damn good job given everything.

do YOU actually remember history correctly? Your posts r inaccurate at best

• Plus1 1

So you are more willing and accommodating, to take Bill O'Brien..... and give him all of the Husker keys, over Mickey Joseph?  :blink::blink:

Last time BoB was a head coach and ran a football program was 2012-2013.

Pellini beat him both times.  That was sooo long ago.  Do the math.

I'd rather see what Mickey does with this team, evaluate at the end of season, and search for the next guy if it does come to that....... then to think Bill O'Brien should be a Husker Head Coach option, ever. 

I mean, He's not even Roll Tide.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I will say that no other coach has the opportunity to put out the NU dumpster fire in real-time while we watch. 

Mickey has an 8 game audition. I don't have a win total in mind, but I'm open to being impressed. 

Yep.

Indiana. Rutgers.  Purdue.  Bye Week.  Illinois.

Not to disrespect these teams for having a good jolt to their early season.  

I just feel like head coach Mickey Joseph, and His new DC B. Busch, and the talent on the team could make a splash.  Taking it one game at a time.  

It's a big task for sure, however, this is not the most impossible stretch to stack some wins together.  In fact, the ceiling of winning these games (with no disrespect to our tough opponents), would vault the Huskers into 4-1 conference play.  Which would be huge and super impressive.  

I'm sorry, but I am "all in on Mickey Joseph" and want to see what he can do. :)

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Since Urban likely isn’t coming, I’m switching to Team Aranda for now (I’m sure someone will tell me why he’s not coming either).  But I reserve the right to shift on a daily basis.  I think we can hopefully all agree that whoever Trev gets will be a significant upgrade over fHCSF.  

It’s not a stretch to say that if Trev finds the right guy, Trev could end up being considered the greatest Husker AD of our lifetimes. 

Like you, my perspectives fluctuate. 

Trev Alberts has his work cut out for him! Buying time isn't cheap. He did buy himself some giving Frost a chance and then now through end of the season with an interim. It's a better selection of potential candidates than at the end of last season. 

Dave Aranda is a very good coach. I'd estimate him a current "grade" of around an "A-". I'll give him an outside chance. Don't get your hopes up too high. He's probably our best long shot in my opinion. Make him say no and be prepared to make a convincing offer.  

At this juncture I have a strong hunch that Campbell is the front runner with Leipold second choice. That's the impression I'm getting. That's the sense I get, what my gut instinct tells me. Between the two, I'd say that there's about an 80% chance one of them is hired with Campbell having an edge.

Both of those are (a bit) underwhelming to me. "B- to B" hires. It's going to take some time to get things stabilized here before competing at a high level thus part of my reasoning for supporting/rooting for (younger) candidates. Longevity would be an asset. On the other hand, seasoning has it's advantages too. Both would be what I consider good culture fits. 

Matt Rhule and Dave Doeren would be solid "B" hires as well.  Fit the culture. The possibility for Rhule is a higher probability the way it seems to me. 

A level below these is Bill O'Brien. Nick Saban wouldn't have him on staff if he wasn't good. Head coaching is another thing of course. He's experienced though has had mixed results in my view.  And, I don't envision him relating as well with young people as several others. Nor do I think the fan base would be encouraged by the choice. A "C+".  We could do worse or quite a bit better in my estimation.  

Mark Stoops and Kalen DeBoer would both be "A" hires. The chances of them, especially DeBoer is slim and unlikely. 

"A+" coaches really aren't in the realm possibility.  

Jim Leonard is at a disadvantage not having been a head coach though he's got a higher ceiling than others. Similarly, Jeff Grimes is another guy that I really like too although he hasn't been a head coach either.  I'd give both those a "B+" with Leonard having the advantage relating with young people and likely both would be culture fits. They'd make one hell of a dream team together as coordinators (that's not going to happen). 

Likewise, with Mickey Joseph. Let's wait and see what he can accomplish. All these would have to assemble their staff. If any one of these could put a solid group together, I can see the potential there for good things happening. No matter how much I like the coordinators, the task before us is immense. We're needing a certain amount of HC experience IMO.  

Jamey Chadwell would do well in the relating category though others might fit better from a culture standpoint. He's a "C+ to a B". The fan base would probably be (somewhat) mixed with the hire. 

The likes of Chris Petersen and Luke Fickell I give almost no chance of being hired. They're competent and would fit our culture well I think. I've always liked Petersen. It just seems that he doesn't have the desire to return to coaching and is content with what he's doing. I include him in the conversation simply because I like him.  Most fans would be thrilled having coaches of this caliber onboard. It would be *shocking*. We an always dream!

Most of this is speculation, a handicap of sorts. There are plenty of other coaches that can be entertained with a wide variety of credentials.  

We know that Trev is looking for a high character person. Someone that would relate well with players and is a culture fit. A coach that values the importance of performance at the line of scrimmage. And, hates to lose and is persevering. 

We really need someone that is steadfast in their resolve that can grind it out over a span of time.  He has an eye for identifying talent, can be successful recruiting and assembles a charge that can develop players. Having a strong "supporting cast" will be instrumental. Again and again, we've witnessed good coaches fail given their reluctance to make hard choices in this regard. 

This is going to take an abundance of ambition and commitment from coaches and players. 

22 minutes ago, admo said:

Yep.

Indiana. Rutgers.  Purdue.  Bye Week.  Illinois.

Not to disrespect these teams for having a good jolt to their early season.  

I just feel like head coach Mickey Joseph, and His new DC B. Busch, and the talent on the team could make a splash.  Taking it one game at a time.  

It's a big task for sure, however, this is not the most impossible stretch to stack some wins together.  In fact, the ceiling of winning these games (with no disrespect to our tough opponents), would vault the Huskers into 4-1 conference play.  Which would be huge and super impressive.  

I'm sorry, but I am "all in on Mickey Joseph" and want to see what he can do. :)

Mickey is currently 0-1 but I realize the OU game is not a fair test for his first game. I think if MJ can finish 5-3 or 6-2 he may have a shot. If it's 4-4 or worse there is not really a chance. The challenge is that Trev probably needs to make a decision before the season ends to allow a new coach time to be announced and start recruiting.

Deion Sanders is an intriguing prospect.  I would refer to him as what has been described as a "cleaner". He's making things happen!

What is his interest level though and do you think that he could make the transition? He relates well with players. Not sure about it being a culture fit. It would take some getting used to for the fan base. 

Listening to the guy, he is thought provoking and makes a lot of sense.