Who should our next HC be?

12 hours ago, The Whale said:

Collegiate Sports Associates is the same search firm that conducted the Nebraska AD search that ended up with Trev getting hired. Perhaps Trev is showing loyalty to this company for him getting the AD job?

https://collegiatesportsassociates.com/previous-placements/ (Trev's picture is in the 2nd row from the top)

Why would we need a search firm to hire Trev? Sounds like huge waste of money. 

15 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Urban is intriguing- like being at the bar when a hot girl asks you to do a shot of tequila.  It sounds fun, and you know it will feel great for a while but you know what tomorrow is going to bring.

I think it's more like doing the shots with the hot girl at the bar, taking her home, waking up feeling like a$$, then spending the next few months worried about having knocked her up. If she ends up not being pregnant, then it was a hell of a night and totally worth it. If she does pop positive, well...

10 hours ago, admo said:

Whatchu mean 5-3 or 6-2 he "may have a shot"...???  Or 4-4 there is not really a chance...???

Yes, the OU game would have been a complete throttling with xHCSF.  And yes, the players were grieving losing their coach.  And yes, they had a few practices the week before the game.  And yes, it is not a fair test.

If the Huskers go 5-3 or 6-2..... or even 4-4 the rest of the way, considering 2 coach firings...  How could this not be an amazing turnaround worthy of being retained head coach ?????

5-3... 6-2.... 4-4..... not good enough today ???

Huskers Big Ten record:

2021  1-8

2020  3-5

2019  3-6

2018  3-6

2017  3-6

2016  6-3  (but, but it's Mike Riley tho)

2015  3-5

Do you (not you personally, but anyone here) think the Huskers have to go 5-3 or 6-2 to "maybe have a shot" for Mickey Joseph to be the head coach at Nebraska ???  And that "4 wins in the conference" isn't good enough ???  From everything that just happened this year?  Wow.... I would scream for Mickey to be retained...

My biggest issue with Mickey is his lack of experience. I think it's funny that a lot of guys on here think this candidate and that candidate don't have enough experience as a head coach at whatever level. Yet, MJ makes sense to them. He made sense to get the interim nod I guess. But he's never even been a coordinator.  I do think Deion would keep Mickey on staff though.

9 hours ago, M.A. said:

Campbell said he doesn’t have any hobbies, besides watching his kids swim, and when he does go on vacation, he’s got his computer with film ready to be cut up.

“It’s all football,” he said.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2015/12/26/matt-campbell-head-coach-journey-iowa-state-cyclones-toledo-rockets/77500040/

I just can't trust anything posted by someone with a Baylor Bear avatar. Sorry, @M.A....if that's even your real name.

58 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Why would we need a search firm to hire Trev? Sounds like huge waste of money. 

I've always kind of felt like search firms are more to provide a layer of cover and act as the school's agent more than actually identifying candidates. Allows active coaches to say things like "I've never been contacted by the University of Nebraska" and allows the firm to put out initial feelers without anyone knowing who it's for. Trev doesn't pick up the phone and call the coach directly and say, "Hey, you interested in the Nebraska job?" He makes that call the the search firm, who makes that call to the agent, who makes that call to the coach. It's like having a buyer's agent and a seller's agent in real estate. You may find the house you want yourself, then you let the agents hammer out the details for you. They're just another go-between to keep things cleaner.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I've always kind of felt like search firms are more to provide a layer of cover and act as the school's agent more than actually identifying candidates. Allows active coaches to say things like "I've never been contacted by the University of Nebraska" and allows the firm to put out initial feelers without anyone knowing who it's for. Trev doesn't pick up the phone and call the coach directly and say, "Hey, you interested in the Nebraska job?" He makes that call the the search firm, who makes that call to the agent, who makes that call to the coach. It's like having a buyer's agent and a seller's agent in real estate. You may find the house you want yourself, then you let the agents hammer out the details for you. They're just another go-between to keep things cleaner.

That makes sense. Logistics and “other things”. 

11 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Deion is waiting for FSU to open up

Deion and FSU aren't all that tight. He's not a lock to take that job if they offer from what I hear

He interviewed for TCU last year and I'd be surprised if there's not a lot of buzz for him at ASU. Same type of job (big metro, good weather, undervalued brand)

24 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Correct, firms just offer cover. Facilitating hotel conference rooms, private jets, scheduling and structuring evaluation and interview questions in some cases.

The only interesting things about this one are that they have the playbook on poaching from a blue blood and they have Luke Fickell's cell. Not much else.

• Fire 1
38 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That....and an impartial advisor.  But, this is the biggest part.  I'm in the process of using a search firm right now for a position I need to hire.  They can call many people in the industry to see if they are interested.  That's something I just can't do efficiently.

So, with Trev we used a search firm.  Yes, he was a Husker and in our back yard.  But, I'm sure they still wanted to interview multiple people before just jumping on Trev.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Correct, firms just offer cover. Facilitating hotel conference rooms, private jets, scheduling and structuring evaluation and interview questions in some cases.

The only interesting things about this one are that they have the playbook on poaching from a blue blood and they have Luke Fickell's cell. Not much else.

They did do a hell of a job at keeping the Lincoln Riley thing under wraps. Pretty much announced officially the same day as the leaks started IIRC. There were some minor rumblings throughout the season that Riley wasn't happy at OU, but I don't think anyone saw the USC thing coming.

4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

They did do a hell of a job at keeping the Lincoln Riley thing under wraps. Pretty much announced officially the same day as the leaks started IIRC. There were some minor rumblings throughout the season that Riley wasn't happy at OU, but I don't think anyone saw the USC thing coming.

Yeah I recall there being some smoke that he was linked to LSU but the USC stuff shocked everyone

Search firms are more a benefit to the coaches.  All coaches keep a hook in the water as they should.  As has been pointed out, HC jobs only last about 3-4 years.  Things happen.  But coaches don’t advertise they are looking for many reasons.  Everybody knows Neb is looking - no secret.  But potential candidates don’t want to say anything for fear of undermining their current jobs etc.   

Trev can’t contact prospects but intermediaries can as independent agents to help find openings and coaches.  All confidentially for obvious reasons.  Nobody wants to be turned down on either side but most cases involve that by one or both sides.  

Especially in high profile, public positions.  Trev wants as many prospects to select the best (never perfect of course) HC and there are lots of details to discuss, consider, weight etc.  Every job search kind of similar in many industries of course.  Big jobs. Big responsibilities.  Big moves.  Big bucks.   Big consequences for many families.  It’s always complicated.  

When Frost was hired, there was no search really.  And the results were not good.  Sometimes the ‘fit’ is obvious. Sometimes not.  My guess Frost didn’t even interview.  He was hired without serious evaluation.  Mistakes happen this way when unknown or unproven hires are made imprudently.  

• Fire 1