Who should our next HC be?

Since I went to the trouble on another thread, I wanted to review what an un-exact science hiring head coaches is.

This ranking is from Athlon's 2015 Head Coaching Hires Report Card.

1) Jim Harbaugh:  The Scott Frost of Michigan coaching hires

2) Gary Andersen: departed or fired from three teams since 2015, now an analyst at Weber State

3) Tom Herman: departed or fired from two teams since 2015, now an analyst for the Chicago Bears

4) Chad Morris: departed or fired from three teams since 2015, now an analyst for South Florida

5) Lance Leipold: now making hay in Kansas. In 2015 he was coming from Wisconsin-Whitewater. 

6) Jim McElwain: since 2015 worked his way from Florida HC to Michigan WR Coach, to HC at Central Michigan. 

7) Pat Narduzzi: still at Pitt. Should we make him an offer?

8) Mike Riley. Athlon rated the hire a B+

9) Paul Chryst: brought a 19-19 HC record to the table in 2015, ranked below Mike Riley

10) Mike Bobo: fills out our HC Top 10. Four jobs since 2015, now an analyst for Georgia. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't see how Fickell isn't towards the top of everybody's list.

Landing Aranda probably isn't realistic but I'd want him over Fickell.

I suppose that you could send your wish list into Saint Nick early. If you’re really, really, really, really good and behave yourself  he might consider dispatching Fickell your way! :) 

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

He just has to retire for a few months. Health scare or something to get out of that. 

How difficult could that be…One look at the mess we’re in might cause a substantial enough health issue then once he recovers from the initial shock he can finalize coming on board making it official. Buyout averted! 

So, some of yall are thinking that Fickell wants to give up playing for Big 12 championships and getting to the CFB playoffs,  for Nebraska ??

And, Aranda at Baylor would do the same thing as well ??

Hmm...  

:snacks:

Sounds like Nebraska is the premier destination in the Big Ten Conference.  Just give up everything you are accomplishing, for loads of resources $$$.  

14 minutes ago, admo said:

So, some of yall are thinking that Fickell wants to give up playing for Big 12 championships and getting to the CFB playoffs,  for Nebraska ??

And, Aranda at Baylor would do the same thing as well ??

Hmm...  

:snacks:

Sounds like Nebraska is the premier destination in the Big Ten Conference.  Just give up everything you are accomplishing, for loads of resources $$$.  

Get paid for winning at NU and all the glory or get paid $$$ to buy you out for sucking. 

There’s really no losing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Get paid for winning at NU and all the glory or get paid $$$ to buy you out for sucking. 

There’s really no losing. 

I'm just saying, we must be pretty full of ourselves to suggest some coaches would piss on what they are building, for a chance to coach the Big Red.... the same place where, if it doesn't work out and you get fired, history shows you will not succeed after that.  Unless G5, FCS and USFL are really your dreams.

26 minutes ago, admo said:

I'm just saying, we must be pretty full of ourselves to suggest some coaches would piss on what they are building, for a chance to coach the Big Red.... the same place where, if it doesn't work out and you get fired, history shows you will not succeed after that.  Unless G5, FCS and USFL are really your dreams.

Yeah that’s fair and not really against your point because expansion could give a program like Cincy an advantage. A decade of security with a competitive team vs 4 years of stress…to over simplify it

edit, to add: do you really see the committee being that accepting to multiple lower tier teams making playoff or is it just going to mean more politicking for Power conference schools?

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

1) Jim Harbaugh:  The Scott Frost of Michigan coaching hires

Equating Harbaugh with Frost might be the most simpleminded comment ever on this board.  Harbaugh is 64-24 at Michigan, has gone to a bowl every year but the Covid year, finished first in the Big 10 East twice, winning the Conference outright once,  made a BCS final 4, and has current team ranked no 4 in the ESPN power rankings. 

Frost was 16-31, never went to a bowl or had a winning season, never even finished higher than 5th in the weak Big Ten West, and left current team ranked 76th in ESPN Power rankings, right behind mighty James Madison.  

Harbaugh also out-recruited Frost every year and was 2 and 0 against Frost at Nebraska, including a 56-10 spanking.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 3
40 minutes ago, admo said:

We’re not full of ourselves.  We need a coach.  You don’t know what all these coaches’ career goals are until you ask.  And Nebraska has a lot to offer.    You seem to be going with the  “glass half empty” approach here.  

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Yeah that’s fair and not really against your point because expansion could give a program like Cincy an advantage. A decade of security with a competitive team vs 4 years of stress…to over simplify it

edit, to add: do you really see the committee being that accepting to multiple lower tier teams making playoff or is it just going to mean more politicking for Power conference schools?

Well first of all, Cincinnati officially joins the Big 12 in July.  It will be interesting to see if they can remain a top 3 team with OSU and Baylor.  Winner of Big 12 will be in the playoffs, so that's exciting for them.  And Iowa State might not be too far back either.  So that's Fickell and Aranda and Campbell.  No more OU and Texas in the way.  Meanwhile, the Big Ten is adding USC (Lincoln Riley) and UCLA (Chip Kelly).  Who knows who else.  As a head football coach of a university that gets paid well, is building a very, very good team, an NCAA playoff run in 2023 and beyond is more realistic in the Big 12 then the Big Ten.  And it looks like Lieopold (KU) might be enjoying his conference whereabouts too, while playing games vs KSU, ISU, etc.  That's 4 coaches that are doing well.  Why would someone think Nebraska is the better draw then what those coaches already have?  I doubt anyone does, except those who are fans of the Big Red - and desperately need them - and so they believe "well, we are Nebraska, just give loads of money and resources, and they will come - because we are the good life".  I just don't see the Huskers pulling in a good coach from the P5.  FCS ?  Probably.  G5?  Also very likely.  The hopes should not be high just because.........

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

We’re not full of ourselves.  We need a coach.  You don’t know what all these coaches’ career goals are until you ask.  And Nebraska has a lot to offer.    You seem to be going with the  “glass half empty” approach here.  

No.  We have trended downward for 10 years.  I would love a great coach to come in and flip it.  But I don't see it.  Last year we went 1-8 in the conference, after winning just 3 for several years in a row.  We have fired coaches and fired ADs.  I think that if I was curious about coaching the Huskers, I would look at the recent history and say "no way..  it's too bad though, they were once upon a time among the best.  Lately they just fire a lot of people".  

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, admo said:

No.  We have trended downward for 10 years.  I would love a great coach to come in and flip it.  But I don't see it.  Last year we went 1-8 in the conference, after winning just 3 for several years in a row.  We have fired coaches and fired ADs.  I think that if I was curious about coaching the Huskers, I would look at the recent history and say "no way..  it's too bad though, they were once upon a time among the best.  Lately they just fire a lot of people".  

I mean a lot of these guys have huge egos and/or competitive drive. Also I don't know about you but I would leave my job for one that gives be a 50% raise and has better resources in basically every department. Every major school has fired seceral coaches it's just the world they live in. We just showed we are more willing to wait on a coach to succeed than any major school really.