Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Anybody still holding out hope that Urban Meyer could still come? Nothing is final until the next coach is presented or it gets leaked who we are hiring. 

depends what other coaches get fired.

do we really think urban would pick us over texas or auburn?

i also think trev is going to be selfish and make a stable hire like campbell or arnada who will stay here long term. good luck selling tickets with those names though.

48 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

i also think trev is going to be selfish and make a stable hire like campbell or arnada who will stay here long term. good luck selling tickets with those names though.

Texas is on the right track right now so I don't see that position opening up and yes Auburn's job more then likely will open up but one could make the point that bc of what Nebraska has to offer it could potentially be a better job. Now on to my next point, I absolutely feel that the fan base would be excited to hire Aranda from Baylor and would have no problem selling tickets for the upcoming season and as for Campbell while I do feel certain Husker fans would be excited for him as well I think it will probably be more of a struggle for him to have Husker nation fully support him and the hire.

• Plus1 1

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/urban-meyer-sends-clear-message-about-possibly-coaching-again Yes I understand that message but the last part still says there is a possibility and how much would a second mortgage necessarily be? How much do you think the athletic department would be willing to spend on him and his staff? Would you pay Urban Meyer 10 million to coach here or way lower? 10 million to pay a coach is alot but not really when you look at with how much more money Nebraska could draw off of his last name. I believe the majority of the fans would be excited if he were to come here. 

2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

I could actually see UM taking the Auburn job just to have the chance to try to prove he’s better than Saban..,

13 hours ago, Undone said:

Landing Aranda probably isn't realistic but I'd want him over Fickell.

Why?

13 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Why would you take Arranda over any of the three I listed?  I just don't get it.  The guy took Baylor over after Matt Rhule just went 11-3 in 2019 and went 2-7 in 2020.  Then with Matt's recruits, he went 12-2 last year and is 2-1 this year with a loss to BYU.  26 total games... That is the extent of his head coaching experience.  As a defensive coordinator he had some great results from 2012 - 2016 but he fell off in 2018 and 2019 to pretty average numbers at LSU.

Maybe he would do good here but, to me, there just isn't enough resume there to justify the salary it would take to pull him.       

This ^

I just don't get all the love for Aranda. I mean, he might be okay I guess. But some of y'all are acting like he's the second coming, with literally nothing to base that on.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I still think it’s highly unlikely that we lure a guy who’s currently doing well where he is. Best bets are: A) failing NFL coach (Rhule); B) current coordinator looking to take the next step (O’Brien, etc) or C) someone currently not coaching (Meyer, Petersen, etc.).

You're missing a pretty obvious D) someone who's doing well as a head coach at a lower tier who wants to take the next step. I mean, that's probably like 75% of coaching changes.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

Texas? What in the world makes you think Texas will be open this year? Sark is in his 2nd year, they're 2-1 with a 1 point loss to Alabama being their only loss, and he just landed one of the best recruits in college football history. Sark ain't going anywhere this year.

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Anybody still holding out hope that Urban Meyer could still come? Nothing is final until the next coach is presented or it gets leaked who we are hiring. 

I'm 99% certain it won't be Urban. I think we'd have to make him the highest-paid coach in the country and I don't think that Trev is willing to spend that much. Sure would be nice if he just bit the bullet and gave Meyer whatever it took and sent the message to the college football world of "We're not f#&%ing around, we're Nebraska and we're coming back"

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yes, you're correct... but who in that category would we seriously consider? Chadwell?

Well, I guess the question becomes what is considered lower tier than Nebraska? Maybe I'm just being a homer, but Iowa State, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kentucky, and Baylor just to name a few. Certainly Jackson State.

15 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well, I guess the question becomes what is considered lower tier than Nebraska? Maybe I'm just being a homer, but Iowa State, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kentucky, and Baylor just to name a few. Certainly Jackson State.

I personally don't view those schools on that level; those coaches fall into my "currently experiencing success at another P5 school and likely won't leave" category. As for Deion, he's probably the least likely of any candidate I've seen mentioned.