Who should our next HC be?

34 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Is this all because of that podcast? Was there something else that came out? 

Sort of, I mean, they are not moving the line because of a podcast...they are moving it because of money that is being bet.  

So a lot of money must have come in because it was a huge jump.

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Why? The more I look into him, he checks most all the boxes and then some. Hell, I may be higher on him than Urban right now. Well, not really, but he definitely makes up for a lot of the moral/ethical deficiencies that Urban clearly has. Dude is a winner and seems to have all the things Nebraska stands for and, probably more importantly, needs. He's out-recruiting a lot of the other names I'm seeing thrown around at Jackson freakin State. Fans don't like him because he's too "flashy" and doesn't wear overalls. Well, guess who does like that...recruits! He's an instant cleanse to the negative stigma that is part of what has us where we are.

Deion and Nebraska are not a good fit. His flamboyant personality would clash with the conservative, vanilla, plain-Jane Nebraska culture. Polar opposites.

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Kiffen or Bust. 

Why would he leave Ole Miss to come here? That would be a step down.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

If MJ can change the culture and get this thing turned around this year.....he should get the nod. I can't even express enough how disappointed I am in Frost. All it will take to turn this program around is some sort of accountability with the players and staff. We were practically in every game last year. This team flat out quit. Now we are trying to salvage the season. Mentally they are drained, but if they can get some wins this could turn completely around. 

The one thing MJ has going for him is that I think he could recruit better than just about any other hire we get, other than UM or Deion. That said he probably has room for only 1 more loss on our remaining schedule if he wants to be seriously considered.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, BoNeyard said:

I am getting the feeling that our hire is going to be an underwhelming name hire. Not that that is a bad thing, it may work out for us as we have learned over the years both within our own program and watching others, you just never know who will end up being a good coach. But these big names people keep throwing around out there, I don't think it happens. 

It has to happen or Trev loses his job next year. It falls on him so if it’s an underwhelming hire Trev seat gets hotter then the pit of a volcano

• Haha 5
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sort of, I mean, they are not moving the line because of a podcast...they are moving it because of money that is being bet.  

So a lot of money must have come in because it was a huge jump.

Right, but it's wild that so many people are investing in information that comes out of a dorm in Waco

20 minutes ago, admo said:

I think that if I was curious about coaching the Huskers, I would look at the recent history and say "no way..  it's too bad though, they were once upon a time among the best.  Lately they just fire a lot of people".  

Most college coaches are acutely aware of how their industry works. I read a stat a couple of years ago that about one-third of all current head football coaches will be fired within the next four years. This isn't an industry to work in if you value job security. They get that. They also get that going 16-31 over 4+ years at Nebraska and losing to Georgia Southern is going to get you fired.

And, money talks.

I get where you're coming from but this is still a pretty damn good college football job, certainly above average. And they'll probably pay someone 5-6+ million/year to come do it.

• Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Deion and Nebraska are not a good fit. His flamboyant personality would clash with the conservative, vanilla, plain-Jane Nebraska culture. Polar opposites.

Yeah because that’s been working so well for us. Nebraska desperately needs Deion to change that if we ever want to be successful again. It’s 2022…we need to stop living in the past or we’ll be the next Minnesota. If we aren’t there already.

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Nobody is talking about MJ new contract and that he has it stated in there that he must be retained if they hire a new coach other then hiring him as a head coach 

I don't mean this to come off brashly, but what's there to talk about?

The biggest thing it means is that MJ would be afforded the protection of receiving his original buyout should the new coach choose to not retain him. It doesn't really have much impact outside of that.

• Plus1 4

23 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Nobody is talking about MJ new contract and that he has it stated in there that he must be retained if they hire a new coach other then hiring him as a head coach 

No it doesn’t. It states that he returns to his role upon the hiring of a new coach. The new coach is not obligated to keep him in that role though.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, skeener said:

Equating Harbaugh with Frost might be the most simpleminded comment ever on this board.  Harbaugh is 64-24 at Michigan, has gone to a bowl every year but the Covid year, finished first in the Big 10 East twice, winning the Conference outright once,  made a BCS final 4, and has current team ranked no 4 in the ESPN power rankings. 

Frost was 16-31, never went to a bowl or had a winning season, never even finished higher than 5th in the weak Big Ten West, and left current team ranked 76th in ESPN Power rankings, right behind mighty James Madison.  

Harbaugh also out-recruited Frost every year and was 2 and 0 against Frost at Nebraska, including a 56-10 spanking.

Sorry you didn't catch the lite snark in that first listing. It wasn't comparing Frost's record to Harbaugh's record, it was the situation of their hiring. Harbaugh was the prodigal son returning to the team he quarterbacked in 2015.  Frost was the same in 2017.  They were both no-brainer choices at the time they were hired.

Fun fact: if Jim Harbaugh hadn't beaten Ohio State last year, a significant portion of the fanbase wanted him fired. Harbaugh was also considered damaged goods after an 8-8 season with the Niners in 2014, having irritated management till they fired him. Scott Frost had the smaller resume by far, but was the nationally heralded golden boy on his way up. 

In other words, the best case scenario in 2015 for Michigan was our best case scenario in 2017. Just didn't work out.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I have the blind spot? If a couple good years as a DC is all you have to sell me on, I don't think I'm the one with the blind spot. I live an hour and a half away from Waco and I'm surrounded by Baylor fans and media and nobody down here seems to be as high on him as a lot of Nebraska fans are. He was viewed as a pretty nice little hire...for Baylor. And he hasn't done anything since to make him any part of a hot name when it comes to coaching searches. Hell, I think most Baylor fans would trade getting Matt Rhule back for Aranda all f#&%ing day. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. Hopefully Trev's not either.

It's actually 6 years of solid work as a DC but hey, feel free to twist the stats to suit your narrative.  

You mean except for winning the Big XII and the Sugar Bowl last year right? 

I mean do you actually think before you type this stuff?

• Plus1 2