Who should our next HC be?

After considering the amount of money we're dealing with here, I'm wondering how far the boosters are willing to go?  When you consider the buyouts of fired and current coaches along with buyouts and such of the next coach, we're talking some serious coin.  There was a name thrown out very early after the firing that just keeps coming back to me, Bronco Mendenhall.  He's currently out of coaching, and he said when he stepped down at Virginia that he was not retiring from coaching.  BYU had three consecutive losing seasons when he became HC and Virginia had four consecutive losing seasons when he became HC.  He is a program builder.  He gets guys to the NFL, and he also graduates players.  He's had several Academic All Americans which is something we used to really strive for.  I think when he stepped down from Virginia he was burnt out.  I have no idea if he's got his batteries recharged after sitting out just one season, but he seems to be someone we should be looking at.  He doesn't come with a multi-million dollar buyout.  He's a defensive minded coach which would probably gel well with some of our current offensive staff.  

22 minutes ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

And therein lies at least one problem. A prospective coach loses a game and some board members are ready to write him off. 

This is not at all how Trev is conducting this search. I'd bet every last dollar I've got. He's a process-oriented guy and his process does not consist solely of results on one Saturday afternoon.

@junior4949 Mendenhall would probably be worth kicking the tires on. You made some good points. Though it's concerning his best seasons were when BYU was still in the Mountain West. Definite risk he was topped out at that level. His record would once they went independent and at Virginia would concern a lot of Husker fans.

I don't want to overreact to a couple drives, but my initial impressions are that Leipold's offense would fit very well here. It looks a lot like the offenses under Watson during the Bo years. Run oriented, lots of zone read with an athletic QB, an interesting mix of horizontal and vertical passing game. KU is currently 7th in the nation in rushing, which sounds like a Watson-esque ranking. Fitting they'd be so run oriented since Leipold was an assistant at NU during the Solich years.

Obviously results moving forward do matter a lot but we need to serious keep an eye on this guy.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It's actually 6 years of solid work as a DC but hey, feel free to twist the stats to suit your narrative.  

You mean except for winning the Big XII and the Sugar Bowl last year right? 

I mean do you actually think before you type this stuff?

I was responding to what you wrote, which was citing his few good years as a DC. Should have said few rather than couple. Sorry semantic police.

And that Big 12 title last year isn’t that impressive. It was a weak year, Lincoln Riley had a foot out the door, and Baylor and tOSU actually split wins.

Don't get me wrong, I think Aranda’s a nice enough little coach. He just doesn’t excite me any more than a Campbell, Leipold, etc. They’re all fairly interchangeable and all of them make me yawn.

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm 99% certain it won't be Urban. I think we'd have to make him the highest-paid coach in the country and I don't think that Trev is willing to spend that much. Sure would be nice if he just bit the bullet and gave Meyer whatever it took and sent the message to the college football world of "We're not f#&%ing around, we're Nebraska and we're coming back"

It definitely would be great if Nebraska did that. I'm torn bc I feel like even if it was 9 million or 9.5 that could maybe entice him but then I think how much is enough to win here? How much would Nebraska have to spend in your eyes to bring him here?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I was responding to what you wrote, which was citing his few good years as a DC. Should have said few rather than couple. Sorry semantic police.

And that Big 12 title last year isn’t that impressive. It was a weak year, Lincoln Riley had a foot out the door, and Baylor and tOSU actually split wins.

Don't get me wrong, I think Aranda’s a nice enough little coach. He just doesn’t excite me any more than a Campbell, Leipold, etc. They’re all fairly interchangeable and all of them make me yawn.

Who would you like to see get the Job?

4 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

It has to happen or Trev loses his job next year. It falls on him so if it’s an underwhelming hire Trev seat gets hotter then the pit of a volcano

I have the feeling it's going to be the same cycle all over again: Trev will make a "safe" middle-of-the-road hire and it won't work and 5 years from now people will be saying, "We need a home run hire this time." Until one of these ADs realizes that we have to hire a guy who can recruit here and give us a distinct advantage over other teams in the division, nothing is going to change.

• TBH 1

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

If by “celebrities” you mean great recruiters who can give our program the shot in the arm that it needs, then sure I guess.

You also mentioned "Someone Big."  There's a really strong chance Nebraska can neither afford nor attract the splash hire. Deion is an interesting candidate who gets more play because of his famous name. He may be exactly the kind of guy we need....stealing top national recruits away from much bigger programs. But we might have to consider less famous guys who are also killing it at smaller programs. Nebraska may need to take a flier on the next Lance Leipold, but catch him coming out of Wisconsin-Whitewater rather than already having leverage as a P5 turnaround artist. 

4 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I would be whelmed if it happened. Could work I guess, could be very meh.

This could be applied to literally any hire.

Frost was the only hire that that was desired by the vast majority of the fans. There isn't another candidate like that, so there's going to be a mix of opinions on any hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1