Who should our next HC be?

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You also mentioned "Someone Big."  There's a really strong chance Nebraska can neither afford nor attract the splash hire. Deion is an interesting candidate who gets more play because of his famous name. He may be exactly the kind of guy we need....stealing top national recruits away from much bigger programs. But we might have to consider less famous guys who are also killing it at smaller programs. Nebraska may need to take a flier on the next Lance Leipold, but catch him coming out of Wisconsin-Whitewater rather than already having leverage as a P5 turnaround artist. 

I just think our whole image needs a big shot in the arm right now and I'm afraid the next generic long shot up and comer prospect isn't going to provide it. As bad as I hate to admit it, we aren't even an afterthought for most kids outside of Nebraska these days.

4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I just think our whole image needs a big shot in the arm right now and I'm afraid the next generic long shot up and comer prospect isn't going to provide it. As bad as I hate to admit it, we aren't even an afterthought for most kids outside of Nebraska these days.

Or we need someone who can build the program up and develop players instead of trying to mask our deficiencies with a new image.

Deion Sanders is the ultimate flash and no substance hire. Like anyone else, he could end up being a good or bad coach for the Huskers, but he's only got a couple of years of coaching experience above high school - not just HC experience but any experience.

• TBH 2

11 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

As bad as I hate to admit it, we aren't even an afterthought for most kids outside of Nebraska these days.

How are we going to try to argue NU is an after thought when they brought in the portal transfers they did last year and have had top 25 classes in recent years? Them being bad and having their coach fired isn’t justification for this kind of hyperbole. 

There are plenty of coaches who could take the NU job and bring in a Top 25-30 class within the first year or two and they’re not only named Deion. That’s far from an afterthought program. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm pretty sure a similar clause is in every assistant coach's contract. Just means they get paid if a new coach doesn't keep them on the staff.

Oh, I didn’t know it was in every assistants contract.  I still imagine he would get a good hard look to stay dependent on who the new coach would be.  Maybe Aranda keeps him with the recent connections they have had together.

4 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

Nobody is talking about MJ new contract and that he has it stated in there that he must be retained if they hire a new coach other then hiring him as a head coach 

If accurate, that is great news.

8 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

He was somewhat in the mix before Callahan was hired. Not very likely to happen, but not a crazy thought.

Payton could have his choice of NFL jobs. He's just waiting for the right one (Cowboys) to open up.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Or we need someone who can build the program up and develop players instead of trying to mask our deficiencies with a new image.

I'd argue we need the opposite of a flashy hire.

The "celeb" candidates could very likely attract some top tier talent to Lincoln. What we learned from Callahan is that won't matter unless you have a rock solid staff around them and don't just hire buddies. Bit Frost in the butt, too.

And while our recruiting has generally been above average to pretty good despite all our stumbles, our actual talent development has been dogs#!t ever since... Bo?

We need a program builder who's given free reign to burn things down, stray from tradition and stop being obsessed with appeasing boosters or accruing leverage with power players. One who is committed to making us competent again and fixing the broken culture here. That's how we get sustainable success. Urb, Deion, et al. ain't gonna do that.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

Love this! Also shows how committed he is to this program.

I think it’s more of a short term income protection clause. If he isn’t retained as HC, there’s a better than average chance any new incoming coach might not retain him and I would guess he realizes that. NU/Trev is not going to absolutely demand he is retained on staff, although it may be a strong request. It gives MJ protected options depending if he needs to find something else.