Who should our next HC be?

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sorry you didn't catch the lite snark in that first listing. It wasn't comparing Frost's record to Harbaugh's record, it was the situation of their hiring. Harbaugh was the prodigal son returning to the team he quarterbacked in 2015.  Frost was the same in 2017.  They were both no-brainer choices at the time they were hired.

Fun fact: if Jim Harbaugh hadn't beaten Ohio State last year, a significant portion of the fanbase wanted him fired. Harbaugh was also considered damaged goods after an 8-8 season with the Niners in 2014, having irritated management till they fired him. Scott Frost had the smaller resume by far, but was the nationally heralded golden boy on his way up. 

In other words, the best case scenario in 2015 for Michigan was our best case scenario in 2017. Just didn't work out.

OK.   Very similar circumstances at time of hire, yes.  Not similar in how it panned out.

29 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I don't know anything about Deion, but it seems like it would be another Frost type hire.

One could easily argue Deion is a bigger risk than Frost was five years ago.

Deion has really wowed some folks with his recruiting accomplishments, took JSU to an 11-2 record last year and won a conference championship. They're 3-0 or 4-0 to start this season and they had one guy drafted last year, first time since 2008. So he's done an objectively good job IMO.

But, this is all at the FCS level, he's a year two coach, he has no proof of program stability/maintenance, he has zero division one coaching experience, and to my knowledge he's never even coached against a power five school. He should AT LEAST have some power five/FBS experience under his belt for a job like Nebraska, particularly in relation to the kind of money that will likely be available for whomever the coach is.

• Thanks 2

I at least take some solace that regardless of who the next coach is, be it Mickey, Campbell, Liepold, Aranda, whoEVER- in terms of organization and discipline it will be a guaranteed improvement. 

Unless we hired Herm Edwards...in which case I'm packing up old school Herbie Husker and driving off a cliff Thelma-and-Louise style

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You can call it whatever superlative you want but there are 131 D1 college football jobs and Nebraska is still easily in the top quarter or top third of those. That's pretty damn good by my standards.

No offense, but I think you're viewing Nebraska through rose colored lenses that have been smudged and shattered. I get why you feel that way but I haven't seen much evidence to back up any of the anecdotal feelings you have outside of pure disenfranchisement. Facilities, the fan base, above average recruiting capabilities, national audience interest... and money. LOTS of money. You give a guy $5-6 million dollars/year or more and there's a good chance he'll dive into that quick sand without a rope. 

Your assessment is way off.  I have made my points, and maybe you are just late to the party or not paying attention.  

I don't understand why you are feeling like the way you feel towards my input.  This is a message board, and I can speak on my own behalf.  I love the Huskers like you and everybody else do.  I give support to Frost, and now Mickey.  I made a few logical concerns of winning coaches looking at the Huskers troubled past and suggesting that they don't want to be a part of it.  As for popular name coaches on the top list, I have stated that Aranda won the conference last year, makes around $5 mil already, is signed through 2028.  And Coach Cambell is also signed through 2028.  I have asked, "who going to pay that buyout?" and "why does the coach at Nebraska deserve 7-10 million a year?".  Our Huskers have finished 1-8, 3-5, 3-6, 3-6, 3-6, 6-3 (mike riley) and 3-5 (in successive years of conference play).  

I am not bitter or shattered.  I am in full support of Mickey Joseph, and even mentioned that this is a good team, and we can stack some wins together.  I mentioned our schedule - Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, bye week, Illinois...... and said that we could win all those games.

So maybe it is just a misunderstanding on your part, because I do not think a winning coach will leave his current success and future financial opportunities, for the chance of failing at Nebraska with its current and past history.  I would rather get behind Mickey Joseph and the Huskers for the rest of the year, then to believe Fickell or Aranda or Campbell or Leipold, or UM, or Deion would take the job.  A coach from a small school (G5 or FCS) is more than likely.

That's my knowledge and understanding because of the state of where Nebraska football is at and has been.  Throwing out loads of money "and they will come" seems ridiculous to me, as long as I have been following college football.  And I hope no superlatives were injured during my personal blunt opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I saw that happen when watching earlier and thought, if only he'd whip his hat at the refs and increase his spittle output 200%...wonder which Chili's or Applebee's Bo is at, chowing unlimited boneless wings (i.e. nuggets) and griping at the bartender for "not executing"

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

One could easily argue Deion is a bigger risk than Frost was five years ago.

Deion has really wowed some folks with his recruiting accomplishments, took JSU to an 11-2 record last year and won a conference championship. They're 3-0 or 4-0 to start this season and they had one guy drafted last year, first time since 2008. So he's done an objectively good job IMO.

But, this is all at the FCS level, he's a year two coach, he has no proof of program stability/maintenance, he has zero division one coaching experience, and to my knowledge he's never even coached against a power five school. He should AT LEAST have some power five/FBS experience under his belt for a job like Nebraska, particularly in relation to the kind of money that will likely be available for whomever the coach is.

I think serious college football observers have been seriously impressed by what Deion has done at Jackson State.  Stealing top recruits for an FCS school ain't nothing. It's not all glitz, he's legitimately growing the program. It may or may not play elsewhere, including Nebraska. Certainly a risk. But we might have to take more of a risk.

Nebraska won't hire Sanders, but people shouldn't freak out about his name coming up.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's a really strong chance Nebraska can neither afford nor attract the splash hire

What do you know that people close to the program don't know or are lying to us about? I have no idea who we can attract but I've heard more than one person with connections in the program state that the dept. is in great shape financially and money will not be an issue for this hire. Every points to Trev spending whatever is necessary to get who he is after.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, admo said:

Your assessment is way off.  I have made my points, and maybe you are just late to the party or not paying attention.  
I don't understand why you are feeling like the way you feel towards my input.  This is a message board, and I can speak on my own behalf.

You're getting unnecessarily defensive. Obviously you're welcome to speak your mind, just like everyone here is welcome to disagree. :dunno 

I give support to Frost, and now Mickey.  I made a few logical concerns of winning coaches looking at the Huskers troubled past and suggesting that they don't want to be a part of it.  As for popular name coaches on the top list, I have stated that Aranda won the conference last year, makes around $5 mil already, is signed through 2028.  And Coach Cambell is also signed through 2028.  I have asked, "who going to pay that buyout?" and "why does the coach at Nebraska deserve 7-10 million a year?".  Our Huskers have finished 1-8, 3-5, 3-6, 3-6, 3-6, 6-3 (mike riley) and 3-5 (in successive years of conference play).  

I am not bitter or shattered.  I am in full support of Mickey Joseph, and even mentioned that this is a good team, and we can stack some wins together.  I mentioned our schedule - Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, bye week, Illinois...... and said that we could win all those games.

So maybe it is just a misunderstanding on your part, because I do not think a winning coach will leave his current success and future financial opportunities, for the chance of failing at Nebraska with its current and past history.  I would rather get behind Mickey Joseph and the Huskers for the rest of the year, then to believe Fickell or Aranda or Campbell or Leipold, or UM, or Deion would take the job.  A coach from a small school (G5 or FCS) is more than likely.

I don't necessarily disagree with your logic about why some winning coaches may not want to come to Nebraska if they're currently having success, but you painted an incredibly broad brush about 'winning coaches' not wanting to come to Nebraska, even calling it a quicksand job. Unless there's some kind of quote or evidence that coaches think this, then that sounds awfully like a projection. Few people, with a straight face, are looking at Frost or Riley and thinking they got a short end of the stick. Chances are that a number of winning coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach at a university like Nebraska, particularly some P5 ones if the money is right.

Yeah, the recent W/L record at NU sucks, but you dangle a high enough salary, pretty good recruiting capabilities/resources, the brand new facilities, the fan base, and some job security in the contract, I stand by what I said - there will be a good coach willing to jump into that quicksand. The college football world is a wild one.

So, we'll see how it shakes out. If Nebraska ends up targeting a number of successful winning P5 coaches and strikes out on every single one then I will come back here and eat crow.

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This certainly isn’t true

Agreed.

Maybe this is just some semantics about what constitutes a "splash hire," but if Trev is OK giving up $7.5 million to let a coach go three weeks early then I don't think we need to be overly fluxed about cost. Nebraska is probably going to be willing to go at or north of what Frost was making each year, and they're certainly going to pay well above whatever a current head coach is making if they decide to come to Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What do you know that people close to the program don't know or are lying to us about? I have no idea who we can attract but I've heard more than one person with connections in the program state that the dept. is in great shape financially and money will not be an issue for this hire. Every points to Trev spending whatever is necessary to get who he is after.

Well that is a disappointing problem for the Univ of Nebraska if true, and it only adds to our fan's fuzzy way of thinking.  It's just money.

How many times do we have to touch a hot stove?  Maybe some drops of Visine or Clear Eyes will help.

Nobody offered $5-8 million a year for PJ Fleck to take the Minn job. 

(Husker fans will say, "Yeah, but we're Nebraska")

PJ turned it around and is doing great.

Nobody offered $5-8 million a year for Fickell to take the Cincy job. 

Fickell turned it around and is doing great.

Nobody offered $5-8 million a year for Aranda to take the Baylor job. 

Aranda turned it around and is doing great.

Nobody offered $5-8 million a year for Campbell to take the ISU job. 

Campbell turned it around and is doing great.

Nobody offered $5-8 million a year for Leipold to take the KU job. 

Leipold turned it around and is doing great.

Why does Nebraska have to offer a blank check for the next coach just to come here?  Do you not see a financial problem?  Do you not understand the Husker job is not like it once was, before 2000?  

I feel like, when it is all said and done, the best the Huskers will do is hiring some other Assistant Coach (from somewhere), or a G5 coach (small success sample size) or an FCS coach.  But also, the Huskers will throw loads of cash to make him one of the higher paid coaches in the conference, or among FBS.  It will be like touching a hot stove again.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

PJ is killing it today. 

Mel Tucker is sweating like he ate a handful of ghost peppers. 

The Tucker contract is going to look like an albatross very soon, and it wasn’t too hard to see it coming either.  Last year was a mirage for MSU on how they won some of the games.  

• Plus1 2