Who should our next HC be?

20 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't predict anything bc I don't know. Can Nebraska please have a coach in place soon? If the season isn't already long bc of what has transpired, the coaching search already feels like its going to drag on for months.  Months and months of speculation and wishing and predictions. Boy do I love college football and everything that it involves.

We have a coach. His name is Mickey Joseph.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What do you know that people close to the program don't know or are lying to us about? I have no idea who we can attract but I've heard more than one person with connections in the program state that the dept. is in great shape financially and money will not be an issue for this hire. Every points to Trev spending whatever is necessary to get who he is after.

I was talking about the splash hire. Maybe the four or five humans on Earth that we all agree can change the program with his name alone. I'm thinking about the last round when some Husker fans wanted to know why we didn't just outbid Alabama for Nick Saban or Michigan for Jim Harbaugh.

When it comes to the handful of big name coaches that anyone and everyone would want, who are already highly compensated and/or out of the profession by choice, you'd have the Huskers throwing out a very big number the coach could use as leverage to stay put, or publicly decline with flattery. I just don't see Nebraska getting into a bidding war that would have to start at $10 million for multiple years. According to a lot of folks here, we would have to add money because Lincoln is a less-than-desirable location for coaches and wives.

Not sure they should open the bank vault, either. Even if the money's there, we'd be wearing our desperation on our sleeve. An overpaid coach late in his career actually isn't the surest thing.

I could be wrong.

At this point I'd consider Aranda a small splash hire, and Liepold an exciting little splash. I think we'd be in the $7 - $8 million neighborhood for those, which we would surely pay. 

• Fire 3
3 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Horribly simple-minded and uneducated posts. You can say he doesn’t have enough coaching experience, but to say he’s all flash and no substance should make you feel embarrassed.

I know it's hard when other people disagree with your opinions, but this is a message board and that's going to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And your right but to say Deion Sanders doesn't have no substance for his success is wrong.

I'm saying he's way more flash than substance, so I could have worded it better. But people are only talking about him here because he's famous. There are other 1AA coaches with better records, so if it was really about substance then we'd be hearing those names just as much.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm saying he's way more flash than substance, so I could have worded it better. But people are only talking about him here because he's famous. There are other 1AA coaches with better records, so if it was really about substance then we'd be hearing those names just as much.

This is true. But when you get a couple cycles of recruits (and their dads) willing to pass up D1 schools for the chance to play for Deion Sanders, and the gameday coaching backs it up, the flash and substance start working pretty well together.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is true. But when you get a couple cycles of recruits (and their dads) willing to pass up D1 schools for the chance to play for Deion Sanders, and the gameday coaching backs it up, the flash and substance start working pretty well together.  

Absolutely, but those are pretty big assumptions. And he's only done the recruiting and the gameday coaching for a couple of years, so it's a big risk that he can continue those things or translate them to the next level.

Deion could be the next up and coming coach from FCS and does wonders at Nebraska, but he could also be too inexperienced as HC of a major program and make poor staff or S&C hires. Or he could have reached his peak and other teams and coaches figure out his scheme and his wins diminish.

19 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Its not necessary just bc he is famous. I think people are talking about him bc he is having success with very little experience as a head coach. If he can recruit kids to pass up bigger and better colleges to come play for him we all think he could recruit anywhere. He resonates with the young crowd bc of his coaching style in return he has and will continue to win.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I get it but like I said before, do you honestly feel that he has a legit fair shot of staying on as the head coach bc of situation he was put in? I don't no matter how much I like him and think he would be a great hire to keep kids from not transferring out.

I think he better have a fair shot or there will be hell to pay. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I have. There are like 3 people responsible for large portion of the posts and they constantly mention Meyer and Sanders. They'll likely be the ones doing most of the complaining when neither happens.

I don’t think anyone is in the mood for an experiment right now. To bring up the longest of long shots, no matter how good they may be, seems kind of silly.

Neon Deion may turn out to be a great coach, but I doubt it’ll be here for a couple reasons. For one, has he ever even said the name Nebraska in a sentence?

37 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not necessary just bc he is famous. I think people are talking about him bc he is having success with very little experience as a head coach. If he can recruit kids to pass up bigger and better colleges to come play for him we all think he could recruit anywhere. He resonates with the young crowd bc of his coaching style in return he has and will continue to win.

Lots of ifs and buts involved. Fact is he is nowhere near a proven commodity. He just may be the next greatest thing since canned beer but he hasn’t shown that yet. Nebraska needs more of a sure thing at this point in time.

One question. Name one other team in the B1G that has a coach even remotely similar to Sanders.  There isn’t one. Fleck is maybe the closest thing and he’s done so much more than Deion it is laughable. The NU job and situation is way above Deion’s pay grade at this point.

• Plus1 1

Urban Meyer turned some college programs around. No doubt about that.

But when handed the Jacksonville Jaguars dumpster fire to put out, Urban declined to fly back with his team and went to a local strip club instead. No one can recall a coach not flying back with his team. His team never stopped playing awful, either.

There's a reason he might be happier in the booth. And why we might want to consider character — at least the chasing trim instead of respecting your players part — at this particular juncture in Husker football. 

Also, he's not coming.  

• Plus1 1