Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Urban Meyer turned some college programs around. No doubt about that.

But when handed the Jacksonville Jaguars dumpster fire to put out, Urban declined to fly back with his team and went to a local strip club instead. No one can recall a coach not flying back with his team. His team never stopped playing awful, either.

There's a reason he might be happier in the booth. And why we might want to consider character — at least the chasing trim instead of respecting your players part — at this particular juncture in Husker football. 

Also, he's not coming.  

Agree 100%.

Unrelated. “chasing trim”. I’ve heard it thousands of times and know what it means but where did that saying come from? Why is it called “trim”? Just one of those things a guy wonders about.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Lots of ifs and buts involved. Fact is he is nowhere near a proven commodity. He just may be the next greatest thing since canned beer but he hasn’t shown that yet. Nebraska needs more of a sure thing at this point in time.

One question. Name one other team in the B1G that has a coach even remotely similar to Sanders.  There isn’t one. Fleck is maybe the closest thing and he’s done so much more than Deion it is laughable. The NU job and situation is way above Deion’s pay grade at this point.

And I agree with you but Im not taking anything away from him and his success. People have talked about certain coordinators who could potentially get hired. If your going to talk about coordinators as potential candidates then people are going to bring up Sanders bc he has experience. It may be little but little is better then none. I don't honestly think that Sanders could/will be a candidate but I do feel he will eventually lead a power 5 program bc of his success at Jackson State.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And I agree with you but Im not taking anything away from him and his success. People have talked about certain coordinators who could potentially get hired. If your going to talk about coordinators as potential candidates then people are going to bring up Sanders bc he has experience. It may be little but little is better then none. I don't honestly think that Sanders could/will be a candidate but I do feel he will eventually lead a power 5 program bc of his success at Jackson State.

Ive read that if Auburn fires their coach, he is a serious candidate for that job. I think if/when he gets a P5 gig, it'll be in the south

13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Agree 100%.

Unrelated. “chasing trim”. I’ve heard it thousands of times and know what it means but where did that saying come from? Why is it called “trim”? Just one of those things a guy wonders about.

I'm guessing it comes from what's been "trimmed" around the bikini zone.

Let me research this for a few hours and get back to you.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

urban meyer is the only coach that makes sense if we are trying to convince people we are serious about winning and not content with being a bottom feeder.

the 4 big 12 guys being considered have no experience in the big 10.

I agree with you but Husker fans are ok with certain candidates. Even if the Huskers don't reach out or hire Urban I truly believe their are other names then those 4 that could make a huge statement saying we are serious about trying to win.

36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Agree 100%.

As opposed to chasing "fat"?

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not necessary just bc he is famous. I think people are talking about him bc he is having success with very little experience as a head coach. If he can recruit kids to pass up bigger and better colleges to come play for him we all think he could recruit anywhere. He resonates with the young crowd bc of his coaching style in return he has and will continue to win.

100% of why he's being discussed is because he's famous. If this was really about quality FCS coaches, then Curt Cignetti, Matt Entz, Bobby Hauck, K.C. Keeler, and others who have had equal or greater success than Deion would also be in the discussion. Almost no one knows those names, but everyone knows who Deion Sanders is.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Agree 100%.

42 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

As opposed to chasing "fat"?

No need to disparage @teachercd’s dating process :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

49 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I think "trim" started as "a neatly or smartly dressed woman" and devolved into meaning what everything turns into in the mind of a certain kind of person.

Maybe…..but I think the hours of research into bikini trimming that Guy so astutely mentioned is what’s called for here. Have to be thorough.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

At this point I'd consider Aranda a small splash hire, and Liepold an exciting little splash. I think we'd be in the $7 - $8 million neighborhood for those, which we would surely pay. 

I like Aranda, just wish his HC history was a little greater. The last 4 1/4 years with Fraudst has me really leery of coaches with short track records.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

100% of why he's being discussed is because he's famous. If this was really about quality FCS coaches, then Curt Cignetti, Matt Entz, Bobby Hauck, K.C. Keeler, and others who have had equal or greater success than Deion would also be in the discussion. Almost no one knows those names, but everyone knows who Deion Sanders is.

Some people have mentioned Curt Cignetti on this board. You know anyone of those coaches can coach but Nebraska is different bc its on a bigger scale. The only thing you question is if Husker fans will support the hire and if they can consistently bring in talent every year bc you know they can develop. You can say that Deion Sanders doesn't have that question about him about recruiting players for his team.

56 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I like Aranda, just wish his HC history was a little greater. The last 4 1/4 years with Fraudst has me really leery of coaches with short track records.

I agree is HC history is quite short but it's hard not to be impressed with what he's done at Baylor in such a short time.

Personally, my biggest questions surrounding him are less about his abilities/resume and more about his interest. Baylor is a good fit for him right now. He's in the thick of good recruiting territory, football expectations are fairly moderate, they've had a better name for themselves over the last decade or so, and he's getting paid a little over $4 million/year. Would he want the more fish bowl mentality at NU? Would he want the recruiting challenges? He may not, even with what would likely be a fairly high salary (in comparison to his current one).

• Plus1 1