Who should our next HC be?

I am becoming more interested in Deion. The recruiting is probably worth it alone and he strikes me as getting a lot out of his players. Speculation is Auburn is interested. It would allow Nebraska to be  introduced to recruits who never knew Nebraska when we were good.  This has got to be a big hire. I’m starting  to solidify my opinion that these lower tier guys are not going to do much but maybe get us back to a bowl and over .500 but I am not interested being the next Minny or Purdue. We need to compete with USC, OSU, and Michigan. 

I know this is about who replaces Scott but...

The next two to three years is going to be huge for the BIG. There is going to be a major coaching shift in the conference. We are witnessing Minnesota climb to the top of the West and by a good margin. Paul Chryst will not be around much longer, and who knows what happens to Wiscy from there (Leonard might get offered the job). I don't think Ferentz is guaranteed to be there in three years either because at some point, they're going to need to get out of purgatory with "imagining what it would look like with an offense". I think Bieliema is taking the Illini past Wisconsin and Iowa soon. Northwestern has completely flamed out, and I can see a world where Pat takes the money and opportunity somewhere else. 

Jeff Brohm might leave after this year for Louisville, his alma mater, as it seems they may be looking to move on from their current HC. Also, this might be my most controversial take, but I do not think Ryan Day is safe or that great of a HC. In the grand scheme of it, Ohio St isn't that good, and has dropped a notch or two since Urban left. They will probably squeak by a horrible BIG this year, but if they make it to the playoff, they will get curb stomped, and I think it will be very telling from there what will happen with him as the HC going forward. With USC and UCLA coming in, I can see it changing so much. It is incredible to say that Jim Harbaugh is the safest bet going forward. If they beat OSU this year, Day will be gone. 

This hire is crucial for Nebraska. If we get it right, we change the entire complexity of the conference. We have to get it right. 

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I know this is about who replaces Scott but...

The next two to three years is going to be huge for the BIG. There is going to be a major coaching shift in the conference. We are witnessing Minnesota climb to the top of the West and by a good margin. Paul Chryst will not be around much longer, and who knows what happens to Wiscy from there (Leonard might get offered the job). I don't think Ferentz is guaranteed to be there in three years either because at some point, they're going to need to get out of purgatory with "imagining what it would look like with an offense". I think Bieliema is taking the Illini past Wisconsin and Iowa soon. Northwestern has completely flamed out, and I can see a world where Pat takes the money and opportunity somewhere else. 

Jeff Brohm might leave after this year for Louisville, his alma mater, as it seems they may be looking to move on from their current HC. Also, this might be my most controversial take, but I do not think Ryan Day is safe or that great of a HC. In the grand scheme of it, Ohio St isn't that good, and has dropped a notch or two since Urban left. They will probably squeak by a horrible BIG this year, but if they make it to the playoff, they will get curb stomped, and I think it will be very telling from there what will happen with him as the HC going forward. With USC and UCLA coming in, I can see it changing so much. It is incredible to say that Jim Harbaugh is the safest bet going forward. If they beat OSU this year, Day will be gone. 

This hire is crucial for Nebraska. If we get it right, we change the entire complexity of the conference. We have to get it right. 

I agree with your main premise. That there is a lot of change coming and it will forever change the B1G.  This hire will tell us if Trev understands this or not. Do we want to be a team that is always in contention for the west and thus the B1G and thus the new playoff.  Or are we going to be stuck in the mud living off a past that anyone under 30 doesn’t care about. We need to innovate and reinvent.  The next hire has to be a recruiting homerun with players now coming from the portal too. There are only a few names that get us there.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Also, this might be my most controversial take, but I do not think Ryan Day is safe or that great of a HC. In the grand scheme of it, Ohio St isn't that good, and has dropped a notch or two since Urban left.

The Buckeye fans have gotten spoiled, and they were even talking about Day having to 'bounce back' from what was a pretty good year. Did they expect to beat Michigan and/or to go to the BCS every year?  Give me a break. They're kind of like the Husker Nation after Osborne left. 

That being said, the Boy Wonder didn't go through the school of hard knocks like Fleck, Harbaugh, Franklin, and other coaches (including Frost, for that matter) by coaching at lesser programs.  He was handed Urban's elite, well oiled machine with an A-List depth chart and a strong brand name for recruiting.  My guess is, they'll go through a gradual, but continual decline - they'll still be good, but maybe not enough for the now unreasonable expectations of Buckeye fans.

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Lots of ifs and buts involved. Fact is he is nowhere near a proven commodity. He just may be the next greatest thing since canned beer but he hasn’t shown that yet. Nebraska needs more of a sure thing at this point in time.

One question. Name one other team in the B1G that has a coach even remotely similar to Sanders.  There isn’t one. Fleck is maybe the closest thing and he’s done so much more than Deion it is laughable. The NU job and situation is way above Deion’s pay grade at this point.

So, you’ve changed your opinion from “Deion is all flash and no substance” to “Deion isn’t similar to any of the other B1G coaches”? I guess that’s progress?

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, you’ve changed your opinion from “Deion is all flash and no substance” to “Deion isn’t similar to any of the other B1G coaches”? I guess that’s progress?

Nope, haven’t changed a thing. Still think he’s way more flash than substance.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I am becoming more interested in Deion. The recruiting is probably worth it alone and he strikes me as getting a lot out of his players. Speculation is Auburn is interested. It would allow Nebraska to be  introduced to recruits who never knew Nebraska when we were good.  This has got to be a big hire. I’m starting  to solidify my opinion that these lower tier guys are not going to do much but maybe get us back to a bowl and over .500 but I am not interested being the next Minny or Purdue. We need to compete with USC, OSU, and Michigan. 

Sadly, most Husker fans these days would be happy with that. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

It's got to be a proven winner and a guy who can recruit his a$$ off.  A no nonsense coach who preaches accountability.

Very few of the supposed top targets fit that description. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Interesting speculation...

While I don't think the badgers really have some powerful booster group, I do imagine that fans are over Paul.  

They suck, pretty much all the time and have feasted on the horrible West...now they are starting to lose more games and when their crossover games are vs good teams, you see what happens.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, skeener said:

The Buckeye fans have gotten spoiled, and they were even talking about Day having to 'bounce back' from what was a pretty good year. Did they expect to beat Michigan and/or to go to the BCS every year?  Give me a break. They're kind of like the Husker Nation after Osborne left. 

That being said, the Boy Wonder didn't go through the school of hard knocks like Fleck, Harbaugh, Franklin, and other coaches (including Frost, for that matter) by coaching at lesser programs.  He was handed Urban's elite, well oiled machine with an A-List depth chart and a strong brand name for recruiting.  My guess is, they'll go through a gradual, but continual decline - they'll still be good, but maybe not enough for the now unreasonable expectations of Buckeye fans.

I think Lincoln Riley saw this exact same trajectory happening at OU.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

DS to Auburn is interesting.  He already is pissed at Saban and honestly would beat him head to head for recruits.  It would make things fun.