Who should our next HC be?

He’s nicknamed neon for good reason. He’s was an outstanding, extraordinarily gifted athlete.  You need both physical and mental gifts to accomplish all that he did as a player.  
Odds are good he will be a good coach.  Can he be a great HC?   Hmm?  Idk.  It seems that many great coaches were more often than not sort of average or ‘so so’ players.  Not sure why.  Maybe it’s just that coaching becomes an alternative way for the best minds (with less capable bodies) to achieve success in their favorite sport.  

My personal experience is some of the very best teachers tended to be average students.  I theorized that teachers need to be able to empathize with students and to be able to help a struggling student learn new concepts, a teacher needs to have been there and done that with common experiences.  If it was easy (too easy ?), maybe the brilliant athlete can’t quite grasp what the average athlete feels in the course of learning and developing his or her game.  

Frost may well have struggled to empathize with his players to better help them develop.  Just a possibility.  

I want a HC that understands the game, strategically, (chess) while teaches it to checker players.  He can’t recruit Neon Deons to fill the roster.  A handful of those is fine but mostly he must get quality production from average players.  Devaney, Osborne and even Solich and Pelini could relate to average players and found ways to integrate them and built teams synergistically so the sum was greater than the parts.  Frost has managed to do just the opposite. 

Let’s find coaches that relate well, live beneath not above their ego, and care about their teams more than their own selves. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He’s nicknamed neon for good reason. He’s was an outstanding, extraordinarily gifted athlete.  You need both physical and mental gifts to accomplish all that he did as a player.  
Odds are good he will be a good coach.  Can he be a great HC?   Hmm?  Idk.  It seems that many great coaches were more often than not sort of average or ‘so so’ players.  Not sure why.  Maybe it’s just that coaching becomes an alternative way for the best minds (with less capable bodies) to achieve success in their favorite sport.  

My personal experience is some of the very best teachers tended to be average students.  I theorized that teachers need to be able to empathize with students and to be able to help a struggling student learn new concepts, a teacher needs to have been there and done that with common experiences.  If it was easy (too easy ?), maybe the brilliant athlete can’t quite grasp what the average athlete feels in the course of learning and developing his or her game.  

Frost may well have struggled to empathize with his players to better help them develop.  Just a possibility.  

I want a HC that understands the game, strategically, (chess) while teaches it to checker players.  He can’t recruit Neon Deons to fill the roster.  A handful of those is fine but mostly he must get quality production from average players.  Devaney, Osborne and even Solich and Pelini could relate to average players and found ways to integrate them and built teams synergistically so the sum was greater than the parts.  Frost has managed to do just the opposite. 

Let’s find coaches that relate well, live beneath not above their ego, and care about their teams more than their own selves. 

I read Deion's autobiography years ago.  Very eye opening.  Dude went through a lot with the fame and fortune.  Tried to commit suicide and survived.  He's got his head on straight.  He invited women to speak to his team about trying to trap them into relationships for their potential earnings.  I'm not saying he would make a great coach, but he can certainly develop character in young men.  No doubt about that.  The Deion we all group up with (some of us lol) from FSU to multiple NFL teams is most definitely not the same guy that is coaching now.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Nope, haven’t changed a thing. Still think he’s way more flash than substance.

So, just to be clear, you consider….

1) Out-recruiting literally everyone in the country (considering where he’s at)

2) Proven track record of winning at a place that hasn’t won in forever

3) Has more football knowledge in his little finger than most people have ever know

4) Preaches accountability, faith, morals, hard work, fundamentals, teaching young men, etc. above all else

5) Knows how to work the hell out of the transfer portal

6) Knows how to work the hell out of the NIL (again, especially considering where he’s at)

7) Hires an amazing staff above his class much like his recruiting/NIL/transfer portal/etc.

8) Has a national reach that would instantly put Nebraska at the top of every news cycle, something we haven’t seen since the 90’s

9) Can literally get in every living room, board room, and any room in between that’s needed to make Nebraska better

10) Instantly washes Nebraska of the negative stigma that’s part of what has us where we’re at

…to be more flash than substance?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

3) Has more football knowledge in his little finger than most people have ever know

4) Preaches accountability, faith, morals, hard work, fundamentals, teaching young men, etc. above all else

6) Knows how to work the hell out of the NIL (again, especially considering where he’s at)

7) Hires an amazing staff above his class much like his recruiting/NIL/transfer portal/etc.

8) Has a national reach that would instantly put Nebraska at the top of every news cycle, something we haven’t seen since the 90’s

9) Can literally get in every living room, board room, and any room in between that’s needed to make Nebraska better

10) Instantly washes Nebraska of the negative stigma that has us where we’re at

If folks like Ron Brown, they would love the modern day Deion.

Yes, there is a lot more personality than Brown.  But both are open about their faith-centered lives.  And both are natural “life leaders” of young men. They preach that football isn’t the end all, be all, and they should focus on what it takes to lead a meaningful life after the game is over.

I don’t think Sanders is leaving.  I might have dreamt it, because I can’t find it.  But I could have sworn Deion spoke in an interview that he wants to stay at the HBC to renew the culture and pride of the institutions.  He wants to help the kids realize that all the fame and fortune isn’t as important as making your community better.

9 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

10) Instantly washes Nebraska of the negative stigma that has us where we’re at

To be completely fair, I don’t know near that much about him. When I hear Deion Sanders, I automatically think of the Neon Deion I knew as a player.

I’ve said it before, I’m sure he’s a good coach, maybe even great, but I really don’t think he is ready to step up to P5, the B1G or Nebraska. Seems like some here are grasping at straws, thinking they’ve identified the next hot commodity. Sorry but I want somebody that’s been there, done that, not somebody who’s made waves in Pop Warner ball.

Now you can quit trying to convince me. Not changing my mind.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, huskerfan99 said:

Week 2 of search my top 5 still pretty much hasn’t changed. 

1. Mark Stoops

2. Kalen DeBoer

3. Dave Aranda

4. Lance Leipold

5. Matt Campbell

Get one of the top 3 and we will get back to winning. 

I like it. I would include Dave Clawson too.   I think anyone you mentioned would get us back to winning. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

So now Dave Doeren is 4-0 coaching NC State, ranked #10, with Bo's OC Tim Beck calling plays.

I'm pretty sure I saw that he said he's not going anywhere, just think it's interesting.

Not gonna lie.  Watching Beck, he has done a pretty good job there as OC....Grown quite a bit. Wouldn't mind if he came back as OC TBH.  Doeren has quietly built a solid team at NCSU.  8-9 win seasons. Nothing earth shattering, but NC State is not a recruiting hot bed.  I think we would get "better athletes" than he does, but they'd definitely be developed better under him.

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t think Sanders is leaving.  I might have dreamt it, because I can’t find it.  But I could have sworn Deion spoke in an interview that he wants to stay at the HBC to renew the culture and pride of the institutions.  He wants to help the kids realize that all the fame and fortune isn’t as important as making your community better.

He’s already been a legitimate candidate at three P5 schools. He’s let it be known that he wants to keep doing everything you mentioned at the highest level.

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Sorry but I want somebody that’s been there, done that, not somebody who’s made waves in Pop Warner ball.

Could not agree with you more. But for me, Deion is in his own class.

Been there done that…Meyer.

Someone who’s made waves in Pop Warner ball…Campbell, Aranda, Leipold, Stoops, etc.

Game changer…Sanders.

Deion can sell condoms to a nun. If Nebraska hires him, you’ll get on board.

20 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

There is a reason he hasn’t been offered a job at the P5 level.  It’s called “Lack of Experience”.  

Really or are colleges afraid of his persona and don't want to take a chance on him?  He has more experience then SF got hired. SF was only a coach at UCF for 2 years. Deion has been coaching for 3 years there so don't give me that. 

• Plus1 1