Who should our next HC be?

35 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Week 2 of search my top 5 still pretty much hasn’t changed. 

1. Mark Stoops

2. Kalen DeBoer

3. Dave Aranda

4. Lance Leipold

5. Matt Campbell

Get one of the top 3 and we will get back to winning. 

Honest request.   Convince me why Aranda is qualified to be a top prospect.   I don't see it but so many fans are listing him that maybe I'm missing something?  All I see is a guy who took over a winning program and is winning with another coaches recruits who hasn't proven anything. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Honest request.   Convince me why Aranda is qualified to be a top prospect.   I don't see it but so many fans are listing him that maybe I'm missing something?  All I see is a guy who took over a winning program and is winning with another coaches recruits who hasn't proven anything. 

I don’t know how much of Baylor’s roster left after Rhule left for the NFL, but it’s now 3 years after he left, so it’s basically Aranda’s team. Yes, there was a poor 2020 season, but there can be bumpy transitions, and it was the COVID year. Aranda led the team to a conference title, which Rhule didn’t so that’s an improvement, and Baylor looks to be headed for another strong year this year.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hilltop said:

Proven that he can win at least a conference championship at Baylor of all places. Yes he is 17-10 but he has them playing at a high level and ranked. Plus he is a defensive wizard as a coach with experience at LSU and Wisconsin. You man be right that he gained good players from the previous staff but it takes a good coach to keep that level of play up. Yes its still early this year but he is well on his way to having another great season for Baylor. Oh yeah he also won a New's Day Bowl(Sugar Bowl) against Lane Kiffen and Ole Miss. 

• Fire 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t know how much of Baylor’s roster left after Rhule left for the NFL, but it’s now 3 years after he left, so it’s basically Aranda’s team. Yes, there was a poor 2020 season, but there can be bumpy transitions, and it was the COVID year. Aranda led the team to a conference title, which Rhule didn’t so that’s an improvement, and Baylor looks to be headed for another strong year this year.

Rhule stepped into a really s#!tty situation with (almost literally) bare cupboards following the whole Art Briles mess and got them back on track in 3 years. Aranda stepped into the rebuild that Rhule had already started. Just for context.

• Fire 1
Just now, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Rhule stepped into a really s#!tty situation with (almost literally) bare cupboards following the whole Art Briles mess and got them back on track in 3 years. Aranda stepped into the rebuild that Rhule had already started. Just for context.

I am very aware of what Rhule inherited and he did a great job. Aranda has continued to build on what Rhule started. I’m not sure that is something that should be held against Aranda.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am very aware of what Rhule inherited and he did a great job. Aranda has continued to build on what Rhule started. I’m not sure that is something that should be held against Aranda.

Im in agreeance with you. Some people might question him bc he wasn't the sole rebuilder of a crap program. So people might question if he can rebuild Nebraska to a powerhouse or recruit here. I think enough kids know his reputation.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Deion may be the second coming of Vince Lombardi; he may have the strongest moral character of any coach in the country. It doesn’t matter. He’s still viewed as “Neon Deion” and “Prime Time” by the average fan and that totally clashes with the Plain Jane white bread Nebraska culture. 

Yeah I don't think enough fans are giving him enough credit for him as a coach. The media does but the fans think he is all a big act(joke)

21 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah I don't think enough fans are giving him enough credit for him as a coach. The media does but the fans think he is all a big act(joke)

Because he hasn't coached at a major program.   So many people jump on a hype train but don't know really what they are hoping for.   He is a great guy.   Amazing character.   Capable of selling ice to an Eskimo.   But he hasn't coached at even a middling program.   He isn't even as qualified as MJ who is horribly unqualified to coach at nebraska.

He MIGHT be great but he is a massive risk.   Worth taking???  Idk

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Proven that he can win at least a conference championship at Baylor of all places. Yes he is 17-10 but he has them playing at a high level and ranked. Plus he is a defensive wizard as a coach with experience at LSU and Wisconsin. You may be right that he gained good players from the previous staff but it takes a good coach to keep that level of play up. Yes its still early this year but he is well on his way to having another great season for Baylor. Oh yeah he also won a New's Day Bowl(Sugar Bowl) against Lane Kiffen and Ole Miss. 

Sorry stupid autocorrect fixed it

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Because he hasn't coached at a major program.   So many people jump on a hype train but don't know really what they are hoping for.   He is a great guy.   Amazing character.   Capable of selling ice to an Eskimo.   But he hasn't coached at even a middling program.   He isn't even as qualified as MJ who is horribly unqualified to coach at nebraska.

He MIGHT be great but he is a massive risk.   Worth taking???  Idk

I'm with you but nobody knows how good he is as a coach except the players he coaches.

I think part of the process with Sanders (if we are even trying to vet him) is to see what staff he’d put together.  I think he’d keep MJ.  He will be a big program coach in the future.  The extra publicity and all the coverage we’d gain would be like no other candidate could offer. We know he’d boost recruiting and the portal. If he had a legitimate staff would you be for him? He is the most unique candidate and he could potentially pull some good coaches that either he views as excellent but I could also see some guys who don’t want to keep climbing the coaching ladder but would find it a good last opportunity to work in a unique situation. If he impressed me with staff considerations that would be interesting vs I am bringing all my Jackson State buddies which we know would not work out most likely.  

But the fact that Sanders could put together a class that would likely finish 10 spots higher than a lot of other candidates has to be worth a lot. Are those other mid tier coaches really better with a lesser class than Sanders would deliver with his class?  I don’t think so.

38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Deion may be the second coming of Vince Lombardi; he may have the strongest moral character of any coach in the country. It doesn’t matter. He’s still viewed as “Neon Deion” and “Prime Time” by the average fan and that totally clashes with the Plain Jane white bread Nebraska culture. 

The biggest problem I have with him is he's able to use his name and reputation to bring top players to a school that plays relatively weak competition. It doesn't mean he can't coach, it means the results of those games don't mean as much when compared to what he would face against a P5 schedule. I think he'd get along fine with the culture here, we just want a good coach. I think his character would be his biggest asset here.